• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Only Yesterday Film Trailer Previews English Dub With Star Wars' Daisy Ridley

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
Man, Ghibli movies age so well. Even their earlier stuff like Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service still looks great by today's standards. Which is weird considering in the year 2015 we've got shows like Ultimate Otaku Teacher which would have been the laughing stock of 2004.

I might just have to wait and see if this leads to a dual audio Blu-ray release in Australia. There's already a subtitled DVD release I can get but I kind of want that Blu-ray quality and the dub.
nagpo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
So why give the characters British accents?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
A long time ago in an island far, far to the east...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
Because her VA is from the UK, it's the same reason why the rest of the cast have American accents, because they are from America.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
nagpo wrote:
Because her VA is from the UK, it's the same reason why the rest of the cast have American accents, because they are from America.

"I watched a lot of Downtown Abbey when I moved to Tokyo."
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
This movie looks boring. Another one of those where the mc meets their child selves one way or another.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
It's really strange for there not to be a showing at the Angelika theatre in Fairfax, VA. This is the first time in a couple of years that a showing hasn't been there. At least I can still trek it out to DC, but parking in DC is a pain in the butt.
jagerlach

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
IFC has actually been showing the movie all week in New York, so the start date on this article is a little off. It's part of a broader Studio Ghibli fest they are doing. I saw it today in a packed theater, which was pretty impressive for a Wednesday afternoon showing of a 25-year old movie.

Only Dev Patel is doing a British accent, which sounds weird since he's the only one in the film to have one. Daisy Ridley does a passable American accent.
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
This movie looks boring. Another one of those where the mc meets their child selves one way or another.

So here's the catch: That never happens during this movie, but it's presented in a similar manner because both her past and present self are tied to the same locations. As in, the main character sees herself as a child, allowing a reliving of events.

The primary reason this is done is because the film jumps between two phases of her life. By adding the context of the present, we can better appreciate where she came from in the past, and vice versa.

This film is far from boring, and I would readily call it Takahata's masterpiece (yes, I'm saying this is better than Grave of the Fireflies). I urge you to see it in the original Japanese sub before considering the English track. Not to say the English track won't be without merit, but the Japanese cast knocked this film out of the park.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
ZanraiKid wrote:

This film is far from boring, and I would readily call it Takahata's masterpiece (yes, I'm saying this is better than Grave of the Fireflies). I urge you to see it in the original Japanese sub before considering the English track. Not to say the English track won't be without merit, but the Japanese cast knocked this film out of the park.

I've only seen the Madman subtitled release of Only Yesterday on DVD, but really appreciated it. Almost inclined to get the Japanese blu-ray with English subtitles rather than wait for a blu-ray release with the English dub.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
ZanraiKid wrote:

This film is far from boring, and I would readily call it Takahata's masterpiece (yes, I'm saying this is better than Grave of the Fireflies).

I'd agree, and that's saying something considering Grave of the Fireflies is one of the best animated movies of all time. Only Yesterday is actually the movie I usually bring up when asked what the single best Ghibli film is. It reaches Ozu levels of verisimilitude. Really a masterpiece.
xyz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
This is not an exciting movie but it is still a very good movie. It's my 2nd favorite Ghibli film. When I saw it the first time I did fall asleep but I fell in love with it when I rewatched it. And as I grow older and re-watched it numerous times, I love it more and more. And for some strange reasons, the soundtrack in the clip get to me emotionally. There's something nostalgic about it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
It is easier for a Brit to sound American than vice-versa. That said I still perfer the original Japanese language track than the English dub, and being a stanch dub consumer, that's saying something of it's quality. No matter how many times I watch this I still can't help but well up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1