• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Eiichiro Oda Reveals Which Manga He's Most Jealous Of

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I personally don't care for the series, dropping it after a couple of episodes and while I never read the manga version that's interesting to hear.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
That's amazing! I read the Manga and watched the Anime. Definitely deserves the praise. Both versions are amazing in their respective versions.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
let alone the solo music Violin concert of her. While i was listing to the music, my Jaw -> Desk
AdmiralKizaru98

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
This shows that he does respect quality and not popularity like other people would do, who are writing such a popular work. This shows that he really cares about quality and not popularity in his own work too.
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Good taste Oda. I agree your Lie in April is very good.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching YLiA right now, and I'm on the fence about buying the manga. It's tough when there's but a single girl I like that's driving me towards completing a series. But my family loves classical music, so that's definitely holding my interest.

I don't follow One Piece; not until it ends, at least.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile, if there was an anime series that Oda would see as a rival to the animated version of his masterpiece, it could most probably be Pretty Cure.

Just saying, but I apparently learned that from TV Tropes.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Considering the events during the Thriller Bark, I'm sure that he's talking from experience.
moonshine101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Your lie in April although good, wasn't amazing as far as I'm concerned. If I were to choose a music orientated anime, then I would hands-down choose Nodame Cantible. The MC in YLIA was annoying because he was constantly needing to be pushed by the female which got very tedious quickly.

But I do agree that creating a music manga and making it interesting would be very difficult. That is deserving of praise at least.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
AdmiralKizaru98 wrote:
This shows that he does respect quality and not popularity like other people would do, who are writing such a popular work. This shows that he really cares about quality and not popularity in his own work too.

That's also pretty clear from his work ethic. Oda said a while back that he draws everything that moves and only has his assistants draw backgrounds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that the music appealed to him more than the extreme melodrama. One Piece (like most shounen manga) is melodramatic enough!
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
moonshine101 wrote:
Your lie in April although good, wasn't amazing as far as I'm concerned. If I were to choose a music orientated anime, then I would hands-down choose Nodame Cantible. The MC in YLIA was annoying because he was constantly needing to be pushed by the female which got very tedious quickly.

But I do agree that creating a music manga and making it interesting would be very difficult. That is deserving of praise at least.

This~. I like the panel he showed, but I agree that Nodame would be a much better choice anyway. I love the variety of things it expressed (different instruments, orchestras, the conducting, etc). But then again, maybe Oda hasn't read it. Oda seems like the type that might not read much josei or shojo really. (Now I want to go re-read Nodame, lol.)

It's certainly fun to hear Oda's perspective though. I'll have to keep an eye for this program.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
YLIA might as well be written by Jun Maeda, it's so melodramatic. Yeah, the depiction of music is good, but if you stop to think about the actual personal relationships for any length of time it becomes horrifying.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
Considering the events during the Thriller Bark, I'm sure that he's talking from experience.

Not just Thriller Bark, but the fact that the Straw Hat Pirates took Brook, a musician, with them, so Oda's going to have to figure out a way to express music through manga for the rest of the series.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:06 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Yeah, the depiction of music is good, but if you stop to think about the actual personal relationships for any length of time it becomes horrifying.

These are my thoughts too. I haven't read the manga, but the musical scenes were definitely the highlights of the show. However, the way it portrayed relationships and its awful lack of tact when it came to showing spoiler[Kousei being abused by his mother, in contrast with Kaori "comically" abusing him for whatever reason]. There were just too many things about the portrayal and apologizing of spoiler[abusive relationships] in that show that made the overall aftertaste rather bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2