• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, December 28-January 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
Oh, how I long for a SNAFU season 3...may be a long way off, or it may not happen at all. No idea how many novels the writer is planning for the series to go for, I just hope he can write quick and wrap it up soon so I can get a season 3.

Ah, I'm so selfish. Well, if season 3 never eventuates, at least I can read the novels. Pretty sure that the English release for the first one should be this year...
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
Unbelievable, these One-Punch Man numbers in Japan, man. I really hope it does better when the dub releases worldwide and in manga sales. Best anime of the year and the only new title to really stand out and the first volume doesn't even last a week on the list? Wow, just wow.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Oh, how I long for a SNAFU season 3...may be a long way off, or it may not happen at all. No idea how many novels the writer is planning for the series to go for, I just hope he can write quick and wrap it up soon so I can get a season 3.

Ah, I'm so selfish. Well, if season 3 never eventuates, at least I can read the novels. Pretty sure that the English release for the first one should be this year...

Well as i knew the last time they covered pretty much all the material they had for the first 2 seasons so wasnt much left so i guess for a 3rd season we would need to wait atleast 2years unless they make some original story...

Ulinox wrote:
Unbelievable, these One-Punch Man numbers in Japan, man. I really hope it does better when the dub releases worldwide and in manga sales. Best anime of the year and the only new title to really stand out and the first volume doesn't even last a week on the list? Wow, just wow.

OPM aint that popular at jpn personaly even surprised its even doing that good and anyway in my eyes its far from being the best in 2015 maybe for a top 10 somewhere towards the end, there have been quite some better animes this year that offered better stuff then OPM did with just the action/comedy shizzle
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:

OPM aint that popular at jpn personaly even surprised its even doing that good and anyway in my eyes its far from being the best in 2015 maybe for a top 10 somewhere towards the end, there have been quite some better animes this year that offered better stuff then OPM did with just the action/comedy shizzle

Hahahahahahaha
You better see just how much the manga sells (almost Shingeki no Kyojin numbers, a.k.a. +1.000.000 units).
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
3rd season we would need to wait atleast 2years unless they make some original story...

Purely for my benefit, chain Watari to a desk and get him doing more novels! I need my season 3 now! Laughing

And, I do wonder how the OPM anime will do (overall) over in Japan. The anime buzz I read, seems a lot of English speaking fans loved it. I thought it was alright, didn't really click with me, wouldn't be in my top 10. So, I'm clearly not seeing what others that love it are.

Decided to just look at the last time OPM ranked in manga sales. The last time was in December, and the highest a volume listed there got to was a bit over 850k, which was volume 7. Guess that it doesn't always translate to high sales of discs, but if it gets a big enough bump for the manga...they may still make more anime for it.

Oh, and I totally over looked GochiUsa. I've yet to watch the 2nd season, but it is one of the few CGDCT series I've enjoyed. It's first volume is almost at 12k.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:

OPM is actually doing pretty good, it sold ~8.9k v1 first week. Not sure what you expected, 50k for v1 Laughing? In all seriousness though, you certainly shouldn't expect any higher numbers from any English speaking countries, last I heard for a series to do really well in the US it should sell 2.5-3k copies. And that's the entire series, the ~8.9k copies that OPM has sold in JP is just the first volume, so revenue in Japan will be many, many times of that in the US.

Hopefully big fans of the show imported the JP BD since Bandai included English subs on the discs, and for people who want to see more OPM that's the best way to make that happen.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:

Like others have said, I'm not really sure how much you were expecting. It was destined to be a mediocre seller in Japan from the get go. The fact that it actually sold nearly 9k is insanely impressive. I expected this to be the next Parasyte or Space Dandy, but it actually sold really well, so I'm thrilled with those numbers.

SouthPacific wrote:
Hopefully big fans of the show imported the JP BD since Bandai included English subs on the discs, and for people who want to see more OPM that's the best way to make that happen.

I did, and I know several other people who did. I'm actually really curious how many copies they sold internationally.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow it`s crazy to see "SNAFU" to hit the top of BR/DVD sales the last season didn`t do as well. Usually rare for anime to sell better in their sequels.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
Wow it`s crazy to see "SNAFU" to hit the top of BR/DVD sales the last season didn`t do as well. Usually rare for anime to sell better in their sequels.

Is the order a rabbit?? seems to be another series that is selling better than its first season.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

last I heard for a series to do really well in the US it should sell 2.5-3k copies.

No that's too low
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

last I heard for a series to do really well in the US it should sell 2.5-3k copies.

No that's too low
Depends on the title and who's doing it. An undubbed release might be okay at 3k as long as the publisher expects it to hit that, but a dubbed release needs to be several times that to be considered successful. Nothing does "really well" at 3k though, at best that's considered acceptable.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
^I can't find the article i read it in, but i remember 2.5-3k being regarded as "successful" and I should've used that wording instead. It's still really low in terms of revenue when considering that the entire series release in the US usually costs less than a single volume in Japan, which shows the colossal difference in markets which was the point i was trying to get across Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop.

relyat08 wrote:

SouthPacific wrote:

I did, and I know several other people who did. I'm actually really curious how many copies they sold internationally.

Oh nice, I was looking into getting them myself but unfortunately OPM didn't prove to be my kind of thing. Granted, i've only seen the first ep, but it felt like the MC was just way too powerful Laughing. And yeah, I too would like to see the # of copies sold internationally! Someone at Bandai is surely sitting on the numbers...
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Snafu snuffing the rest to take #1. Good numbers for Charlotte.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

No that's too low

Depends on the title and who's doing it. An undubbed release might be okay at 3k as long as the publisher expects it to hit that, but a dubbed release needs to be several times that to be considered successful. Nothing does "really well" at 3k though, at best that's considered acceptable.

Used to be needed 40k during the boom to be considered bona fide hit
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1