• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Light Novel question

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quote:
Even the raw ones.

I assume you mean those printed in Japanese.

Just how do you alphabetize kanji? Aren't there a couple of thousand of them? Is there some sort of system for this?
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I seem to be in the minority here, but I put all my novels and non-fiction books (light novels, history, fantasy) on one bookcase, and all my comics (manga and Western) in a second bookcase. I just think it's easier to keep all text-heavy and picture-heavy books separately.

(except for all the manga in boxes.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
@jenny10-11

I don't know about being in the minority, but you are in good company. I've 10 or so book shelves (depending on how you count them) and have them sorted in all sorts of ways.

My basic idea is that the only proper organization is what ever works for you. Alphabetizing works for some, sorting by type for others. As long as you can find what you want, it's all good.

(ah yes, all the manga in boxes. I wish I had shelves for them)
lys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45, Japanese does have its own system of "alphabetical" (probably a better word for it) order, based on the syllables of the language: start with a, i, u, e, o, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko, sa(etc...), ta..., na..., ha..., ma..., ya..., ra..., wa..., n. I use this order for organizing Japanese-language books by artist's name.

So, for example, two artists with family names 藤枝 (Fujieda) and ふじもと (Fujimoto). One's in kanji and the other's hiragana, but "e" comes before "mo" so that's all I need to know to put them in order. (never mind for now that the two artists I'm thinking of are from different publishers so I'd NEVER have them on the same shelf in the first place, but... hahaha.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:32 am Reply with quote
@lys

Thanks. Do I understand correctly that the kanji are sorted based on how they are pronounced? Don't the more common kanji have more than one sound attached? I thought this was why they have to explain how to pronounce their names if written or what kanji to use if pronounced. What do you do if you don't know how it is pronounced?

I have my current manga organized by publisher and within that by efficient shelf use. Older stuff is in boxes in deep storage (sigh).
lys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
My own Japanese language education is far from complete, so there's probably more to the ordering system that I'm unaware of*. But authors' names are easy enough to find a correct reading/pronunciation of (Google or JP Wikipedia, and often it's even listed in romaji or furigana (the little kana printed alongside kanji to show pronunciation) somewhere in the book itself). In my example before, I was originally going to use the family name 藤原, but both Fujihara and Fujiwara are accepted readings of those kanji, which would make for some extra confusion. I believe you would still order them by the reading though (so Fujihara, Fujimoto, Fujiwara).

(*computer sorting of kanji is a whole 'nother thing that I know nothing about. In iTunes, if I sort my Japanese songs by title, the hiragana and katakana follow the expected pronunciation-based order, but kanji come after that and I don't know what determines their order.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, I guess most authors would have information available.

I decided that Japanese was beyond me when I found out that a single kanji could have different pronunciation and different meanings depending on context and that a given name could be represented by different kanji. I often wonder if I'm missing something with regard to the names of various characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2