• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2015

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
So One-Punch Man did place #1. Fair enough. I've yet to watch it, but if I realize that it's all just hype when I do, I'll call it trash in a heartbeat. And overall, the same goes for the top ten, which most I haven't watched. I suspect that a lot of them are hype. I mean "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO!", really?

Also, I came here to say that JoJo's would've been my #1. The problem I found with JoJo was that although there was great build-up throughout the series, the final episode was a letdown. Dio's defeat was anti-climactic and rushed. The wrap-up after Dio's defeat was also rushed and done in less than five minutes. They should've extended it into another episode and not been cheap. My #1 picks for 2015 were all moe, including Sound! Euphonium with its top-notch story telling.

For 2016, I'd like more seinen action anime and less moe anime so that the moe fanbase would be more consolidated. And of course, better animation for the action series.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Been watching One Punch Man. Absolutely incredible series, the best of 2015? Its on a league above the others, like Madoka was in 2011. Features some of the best animation ever put on TV, very creative story and is essentially the best animated comedy I ever watched. The concept in itself is just brilliant and reflects men's desire to surpass nature and technology.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
While I at least somewhat agree with the rest (though I might quibble about exact break points) I find this paragraph to be quite off. "Empty hype" and "mass production medium" and "drown out anything else by sheer volume" are far from being applicable to just the last two years, nor do I think that they are particularly worse than any other two-year period in the last decade on that point. And while I'll agree that there has been a spike in a certain kind of show recently (the high school super-powered battle shows), it's not dramatically bigger than spikes we've seen in other types of shows in other time periods over the last 40 years; hell, '70s anime was far worse when it came to gluts of same-ness.

Its a very common mirage for people to think that the quality of a medium is declining or rising based on the tiny amount of stuff they know (in proportion to the total volume of anime produced) since Japan produces 5,000-6,000 episode units of animation per year (including the minutes of movies and OVAs), or equivalent to 200-250 seasons of 25 episodes, every year!

I think it's very hard to think of any general trends for the genres produced over the past 10 years and I have watched about 500 anime titles. Besides the fact that variety is continously increasing since anime is increasing in quantity and demographic reach. In the 1960's when the medium was just starting variety was much smaller and also its appeal was mostly restricted to a certain demographic. Since then the amount of animation produced increased enormously and with it diversity.

I guess that Anime today spans pretty much anything in the spectrum of Japanese culture. I find it currently to be at least if not more varied than American live action film for example. With a lot of very ambitious and creative stuff mixed in the mediocre stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:57 am Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
I mean "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO!", really?

What was so bad about it?
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
^The title.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
^The title.

would you prefer Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. Zoku?

or

My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected
...TOO
(Light novel title)

The English title is one of a small amount where I think they actually improved on the title(Although the "Too" is unnecessary)- especially if you know what SNAFU stands for.

Great show too, deeper than you'd think... Don't just a book my it's cover, as they say
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
By the way this might be a strange thing to say but one of the things I tire of most from anime is convoluted or night incomprehensible storytelling and droning pacing and how that just makes shows come across more typically as annoying as opposed to extra smart or clever. This sort of thing made shows like Blood Blockade Battlefront and Fate UBW far more difficult watches than they should have been for what they are IMO and still other shows like Yuri Kuma Arashi and some of the noitaminA series this year night unwatchable for me. I kind of wish sometimes if a show has a story to tell to just find a way to damn well tell the story and make it interesting. It's not as hard as anime makes it look sometimes.

That's called culture barrier. I have no issue getting into stuff like Yuri Kuma Arashi or UBW (that's hard now?), these days I find it harder to get into hollywood stuff which is so boring.

Quote:
As for the year, personally it was the worst ever for me and I'm pretty well on the verge of quitting anime altogether or at least following it seasonally unless I hear some good things about a particular show.

You should not follow anime airing but watch the classics. I just wantched a Dirty Pair movie the other day, Project Eden really awesome stuff from 1987. Oh wait, its a light novel adaptation and you are allergic to light novel adaptations. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 22 of 22