• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Series Celebrate 'Coming of Age' Day

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivanchoFAA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Unforgettable anime, classics that not only let us know about Japanese animation but also to let us know there are different ways to tell stories to people.
Thanks to Rurouni Kenshin taught about the one the darkest time in the history of Japan. Since then I've found so many series with different and interesing topics
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Yu-Gi-Oh! manga turns 20 this year and it is celebrating that with:

thennarynak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Someone may want to fix the time stamp for this article as it is listed as being published Jan. 11, 2015.

That aside, I didn't realize Detective Conan is only 20 years old. I thought it was older since it is one of those series that seems like it has been around for ages.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Rurouni Kenshin was one of my favorites back in the days!! One of my uncle had ALL the dvd sets for it and I actually had to borrow it to watch it all lol.
AngryMoM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
Hey i was born in 1996 too.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
Wonder what would happen to Japan's Coming of Age Day when their Parliament lowers the voting age to 18.......
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised that Jigoku Sensei Nubei was on that list. That's a series that I really need to watch.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Kodocha!!! I freakin love that show and I was born in 1996 too. I wish America had this kind of holiday so that everyone can celebrate becoming adults together. All you get when you turn 18 is the ability to buy Lotto tickets, cigarettes and if your a male (which luckily I'm not) a required invitation to sign in for the draft (which hasn't been used in over 50 years). And as for if you turn 20 you get (wait for it..) NOTHING! You just get to lose your ability to call yourself of teenager!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
There's also Magical Girl Pretty Sammy TV a.k.a. Magical Project S, which is an often-overlooked link between magical girl shows for actual little girls like Sailor Moon (not that I didn't like Sailor Moon despite not being a girl) and late night magical girl shows like Nanoha.

I first really started finding Japanese fan art sites in 1996 and I swear I saw more art of Sasami/Pretty Sammy and Misao/Pixy Misa than anything else, more than even, say, Evangelion characters, since Evangelion had only recently concluded its initial run at the time. While I was aware of Pretty Sammy from her brief appearance as a gag character in the Tenchi Muyo "Mihoshi Special", I don't think I knew she got her own spinoff OVA series and, later, TV show until I found the fan art sites.

While the Pretty Sammy OVAs did come first (okay, the first OVA did, I think the second OVA came out a little earlier in 1996, the third one wasn't released until 1997), I easily prefer the TV series since they toned down most of the creepier elements of the OVAs to appeal to a general audience and also because Pretty Sammy TV was more confident of being its own thing independent from Tenchi Muyo and, as such, it didn't feel the need to cram in the alternate universe versions of every Tenchi Muyo character in every episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Wow this makes me feel really, really old lol. I got into anime in 96 near the end of the year (11 going on 12), so it's weird to think I've been watching this stuff almost 2/3 or my life now O_o So many good classics there especially Kenshin! It's on netflix now (yes even the japanese subtitled) if anyone wants to relive it! Smile Love that series so much was one of my firsts (think it was around 1998 I discovered it).

Hmmm checking out anime that came out my birth year I got... Macross:DYRL, UY: Beautiful Dreamer, and Nausicaa.. not too bad!

yotsubafanfan wrote:
And as for if you turn 20 you get (wait for it..) NOTHING! You just get to lose your ability to call yourself of teenager!

At 21 you get to drink though even though most of us had done that already.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
I generally pay most of my attention to shows with adult characters, but I have seen my fair share of shows about adolescents and don't recall ever seeing the event mentioned in an anime show. Kurenai has a cute episode about Shichi-Go-San, which celebrates young children turning three, five (for boys), or seven (for girls), but I can't think of any show where coming-of-age day is depicted. Is that because it happens after high school when life appears to come to end in the anime universe?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, where's Vision of Escaflowne on that list?

I know the list isn't meant to be an exhaustive list of anime that premiered on television in 1996, but Escaflowne seems like a show that would be notable, having a compelling dramatic story, interesting character designs (those noses), a beautiful Yoko Kanno score, and some groundbreaking CGI elements (by 1996 standards), not to mention how it also got an edited TV dub on Fox Kids plus a slightly more intact (if I remember correctly) version on YTV in Canada.

I completely understand a weird Tenchi Muyo spinoff like Pretty Sammy TV being overlooked, but Escaflowne seems like a major omission, especially considering that I believe a couple of editors here were fans of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SnowCentaur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
Oh please... A good remake of RuroKen, where they don't change the end... ;;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1