• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Erica Lindbeck, Max Mittelman Star in Your Lie in April English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
- Excludes all JP booklets
- Too cheap to include JP commentaries so creates cheaper dubbed ones
- No mention of "rigid" box which in previous cases have meant flimsy cardboard boxes.

I absolutely loved Shigatsu, but this release? No thank you, i'll stick with my fansubs.

What happened to you?!! You speaking ill of an Aniplex USA release is deeply disturbing.

In all seriousness AoA could give you all that stuff you desire. But I bet they would charge $300 per box.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
- Excludes all JP booklets
- Too cheap to include JP commentaries so creates cheaper dubbed ones
- No mention of "rigid" box which in previous cases have meant flimsy cardboard boxes.

I've been getting the feeling that AoA is getting some pretty big time pressure from Aniplex Japan to make their sets less appealing for reverse importation(slower releasing, crappier boxes and extras, lack of Blu-ray, etc). Which is kind of bullsh*t and sucks for anyone who doesn't speak Japanese.

I'm not sure why AoJ would feel pressured though, unlike other US companies releases AoA sets pretty much never appear on Amazon JP. Then again, JP anime licensors are known to be extremely protective.

Quote:
Or at the very least, put English Subtitles on the Japanese releases more often. I would much rather pay JP prices for JP sets, rather than pay AoA prices, for mediocre sets, to be honest.

Yep, I would too. No need for long waits, unmatched video quality and a beautiful package. Though I wouldn't be too surprised if English subs do become more common on JP sets.

@angelmcazares

They could've charge the very same price, include all of the stuff that I mentioned and add something like a signed shikishi had they ditched the dub Neutral. Oh well, my money can be spent elsewhere.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

Yep, I would too. No need for long waits, unmatched video quality and a beautiful package. Though I wouldn't be too surprised if English subs do become more common on JP sets.

That's what I'm hoping for. We've already got a pretty consistent output from Bandai Visual. Both OPM and Comet Lucifer from last season have them. And now that Garakowa has subs, maybe PonyCan is seeing that as a possibility for future releases! Maybe it will become more common. Smile
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Quote:
Or at the very least, put English Subtitles on the Japanese releases more often. I would much rather pay JP prices for JP sets, rather than pay AoA prices, for mediocre sets, to be honest.

I actually did a little digging on CDJapan a few weeks ago investigating that very thing. It turned out, and it's probably no surprise, that the BD distributors who have or had North American divisions were the best about offering subs. Bandai is by far the best about subbing their anime releases. Sony/Aniplex has a few, mostly for their biggest properties like Fate/ and Madoka, but a handful of more niche shows like Dog Days have been subbed too. All the other BD distributors - Kadokawa, Pony Canyon, King Records, Toei Video, and so on - have anywhere from almost no English subs to none at all.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
Since AoA sometimes has a dubbed series on their Aniplex Channel or Hulu, I hope they do it with this series because I am certainly paying that price. If it was for the whole series, then I would be more willing to do that.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
Quote:

I actually did a little digging on CDJapan a few weeks ago investigating that very thing. It turned out, and it's probably no surprise, that the BD distributors who have or had North American divisions were the best about offering subs. Bandai is by far the best about subbing their anime releases. Sony/Aniplex has a few, mostly for their biggest properties like Fate/ and Madoka, but a handful of more niche shows like Dog Days have been subbed too. All the other BD distributors - Kadokawa, Pony Canyon, King Records, Toei Video, and so on - have anywhere from almost no English subs to none at all.

This list is starting to get a little more out of date, but it has pretty much everything released prior to 2014 that has English Subtitles. I've got a good number of them. King Records and Kadokawa actually have a decent number as well, though no one is even close to Bandai. We get one from them pretty much every season. I'm hoping for subs on Dimension W, but FUNimation's involvement might have some sort of stipulations on that.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
This list is starting to get a little more out of date, but it has pretty much everything released prior to 2014 that has English Subtitles. I've got a good number of them. King Records and Kadokawa actually have a decent number as well, though no one is even close to Bandai. We get one from them pretty much every season. I'm hoping for subs on Dimension W, but FUNimation's involvement might have some sort of stipulations on that.

Very interesting, thank you. That's deeper than I went, because I only looked at BDs and wasn't looking for English dubs, just subs. Also, I was only tallying each series in its entirety rather than counting all the individual volumes, which makes a big difference with someone like Warner for instance (34 subbed BDs, the second-largest raw total on your list, but only for six different series and movies - compare that to Aniplex which has fewer individual items for sale but nearly three times as many different TV series and movies to choose from).
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
The YLiA trailer sounded fantastic, but the price is awful. I'd love to own this series, but not for 260 dollars. Forget that. When's Aniplex going to realize some of the series it's sitting on would sell like hotcakes if they were, say, 50 dollars instead of 130?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3