• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I can't get The Set List video to play

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soval

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
I'm using a chromium based browswer (SRWare Iron Version 47.0.2500.0 (64-bit)) and the video for The Set List - Top 10 OPs of 2015 won't play. The page shows only the bottom bar, but clicking on it does nothing and the area where the actual video should be is the same color white as the background of the rest of the page. Disabling my ad block and flash block programs don't change this behaviour.

It plays just fine in Microsoft Edge, as well as in Chrome on my android phone. I had been able to view Set List videos in the past on this browser, but not this time.

I also noticed a similar behaviour with the video clips from sakuga.yshi.org that some of your articles link to. Some of them play normally, but some of them have an identical bar at the bottom (that can't be clicked) and the video area filled with the same color as the background (this time black).

I'm using Windows 10, and have the latest version of both flash and my browser.

Any ideas how to squash this bug?

-Soval[/i]
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
Soval

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
1) I use AdBlock (not to be confused with AdBlock Plus) and FlashBlock, but disabling them does not change anything.

2) YouTube plays all videos just fine, Hulu on the other hand will start to load a commercial then returns an error (3307). I tried the suggested fixes on their help page for the error, but no dice.

3) Reloading doesn't help

4) No error message, just missing video and no ability to play.

5) I am using a software firewall from Symantec, and use a Netgear router, but I have no trouble visiting websites, downloading files, or streaming videos from YouTube and many other sites.

BTW the "flash firewall tester" link does not work.

6) No, it loads completely except for the missing video player.

7) I see no "privacy policy" link or an "ads by" at the bottom of the screen. There is an "Ad by ConvertMedia" under an ad in the sidebar though.

8) http://whatsmybrowser.org/b/M0ZTGU7

Any other info you need?[/list][/list]
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
PM Dan42 with a link to this thread.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
Was this resolved ?
Soval

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately no, I have heard nothing back from the person I was told to PM.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Google provided the answer.

Quote:
For H.264 support, the H.264 codec is not part of the Chromium source-code. Plain Chromium executables do not support H.264 and Iron is not getting it for free nether.

Each browser vendor that supports H.264 (eg. Google and Apple) has paid for a (not cheap) license to include the codec in their branded browsers. As far as I know SRWare does not have such a license, so Iron browser cannot support H.264.

Thing is, H.264 is the "standard" that all the major browsers support, so we encode in H.264 (MP4).

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp

Major sites like YouTube, and anyone who is focussed on video, encode on both H.264 and OGG.

We could post Flash as a backup. There's an easy way to post the flash video for people who have a browser that doesn't support the video tag, but that's not the case for you... it wouldn't work because your browser does support the video tag.

I've put the Flash version at the bottom of the most recent page for now, and I'll ask Dan to create a neater interface to swap between the two players. The way I have it, the Flash Player is needlessly pre-loading the video and wasting bandwidth for ANN and the visitor...
Soval

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:11 am Reply with quote
Thank you.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1