• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hiroshi SATÔ, jack of all trades (Probably a lot of splitting required)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
Hiroshi Sato

Currently the kanji for this person reads 佐藤洋, however it was pretty apparent to me by the credits that there are a couple people mixed in here. He looks to deal mostly in photography, with the first two credits possibly belonging to a person with the same kanji spelling.

佐藤洋
(1973) Wansa-kun (TV) : Production Chief source (制作担当)
(1987) Robot Carnival (OAV) : In-Between Animation Source
(1998) Cowboy Bebop (TV) : 3D Animation (Satelight) source
(2005) Mahoraba ~Heartful days~ (TV) : Key Animation (ep 24) Source
(2005) Aquarion (TV) : Composite (18 episodes) source
(2005) Noein - to your other self (TV) : 2D Composite (Satelight; eps 1, 3) Source
(2006) Hellsing Ultimate (OAV) : Photography Cooperation (Satelight Sapporo; ep 1) Source
(2009) Birdy the Mighty Decode:02 (TV) : Photography (8-Bit) Source
(2011) Infinite Stratos (TV) : Photography Assistant (8-Bit) Source
(2011) Infinite Stratos Encore: Koi ni Kogareru Rokujūsō (OAV) : Director of Photography Source
(2012) Aquarion Evol (TV) : CG Layout Source

佐藤ひろし
(1988) Akira (movie) : In-Between Animation Source courtesy of Devil Doll, could really be anybody.

佐藤均 (Hitoshi Sato)
(1991) Burn Up! (OAV) : Animation Camera Source Should be a Photography credit.

佐藤裕司 (Yuji Sato)
(1992) Ushio & Tora (OAV) : Key Animation (ep 10)Source

佐藤博 (Different Hiroshi Sato Source)
(1994) Nana Toshi Monogatari (OAV) : Music same source as above
(2013) Tetsujin 28-gō Gao! (TV) : Art Setting Source This is pry a different person than the music dude.

佐藤浩史
(1994) Mahoujin Guru Guru (TV) : Episode Director source

佐藤寛
(2006) Binbou Shimai Monogatari (TV) : Producer Source
(2009) Umineko: When They Cry (TV) : Special Thanks To Source

佐藤弘章 or 佐藤陽 probably the former
(2006) Ghost Slayers Ayashi (TV) : 2nd Key Animation source

佐藤大志
(2008) Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's (TV) : 2nd Key Animation , In-Between Animation source
(2009) Needless (TV) : Key Animation (ep 3) Source

佐藤宏
(2009) Shin Mazinger Shōgeki! Z-Hen (TV) : Production Advancement (ep 26) source

佐藤裕
(2010) (The) Qwaser of Stigmata (TV) : Screenplay (ep 14) , Production Advancement (eps 2, 6, 9) Source Same kanji for both tasks.
(2011) Morita-san wa Mukuchi (OAV) : Script Source
(2011) (The) Qwaser of Stigmata II (TV) : Script (ep 4)Source

佐藤裕士
(2012) Daily Lives of High School Boys (TV) : Producer Source

Unable to Verify
(2000) Pokemon 3 - The Movie : 3D CG (Cupid Fair)
(2002) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV) : Screenplay Probably Dai Sato, like the error report.
(2002) Heat Guy J (TV) : Composite
(2004) Gantz (TV) : Paint (ep 18) , VFX (ep 18)
(2005) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man (OAV) : Screenplay Error report says this should be Dai Sato.
(2010) Magic Kaito: Kid the Phantom Thief (special) : Background Art , Photography

Now, that's a lot of people. I am aware that Sato is a super common surname, but damn.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
Well, that's a mess :\

Pretty sure my SAC discs have English credits. Ironically I once say a VCD copy that might be different in random charity shop but they were charging too much for something I already own in better quality.

I did used to have all of Gantz fansubbed on CDR and it is almost certainly still at the back of a cupboard, although finding it would be a pain and it might not even play.

For that matter I once bought a copy of Pokemon 3 for a quid for my mother when she was childminding. Probably om VHS and obviously won't have Japanese credits intact...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Well, that's a mess :\
My thoughts exactly.

Minor update: I went ahead and added the Ushio and Tora credit to 佐藤裕司 (Yuji Sato) and marked the one for Hiroshi as an error. I'm working on downloading a version of the pokemon movie that will probably have Japanese credits but it's taking longer than sin (it's a less seeded version because I don't want to kill my ratio with a 4 gig BluRay version). I intended to write this up once I'd checked, but seeing as I got a response...

I did not do the same with the Burn Up! credit. I already had a copy of Burn Up!, but it has an awful lot of black names and strangely translated job descriptions, so I think the English credits were sourced extensively and I want to take a look at the whole thing at some point. I figure it's probably deserving of its own thread.

And a side note about the other kanji names; I really don't like creating new people when all I have is the kanji name because I don't speak Japanese. I can put 佐藤浩史 into an online translator and get Kouji Satou, but I can also put 浩史 into a name dictionary and see that it can also be Hiroshi, Hirofumi, Hirobumi, Koushi or Goushi. So that's why I didn't create new people for all those other kanji names.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I did start a thread for trying to confirm name readings.

If you have some likely spellings you can try to look for online sources to confirm it using google searches like "佐藤浩史" "さとうこうじ" (in this case, can't see anything relevant)

Kouji and Satou are both common names. If I couldn't find any solid confirmation I would put it under the most likely reading; people are going to try to submit the credits under one reading or another and it is better to collect them all in one place - it can be corrected later if confirmation does surface (which might never happen for some random inbetweener without a web presence).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:16 am Reply with quote
A big problem for such a common name ("Hiroshi Sato" is just as common as "John Smith" in English), a big problem would be designating different disambiguation tags for each and every one of them. Roman numerical would be a shortcut, but it might create further confusion in the future. Rolling Eyes
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:01 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

佐藤寛
(2006) Binbou Shimai Monogatari (TV) : Producer Source
(2009) Umineko: When They Cry (TV) : Special Thanks To Source

I came across the Facebook page for this guy. It says he works for Frontier Works, so it has to be the person IMO (they are involved in both titles). So that proves at least that he is "Hiroshi Satō" and his name is not read a different way.

Also, since it doesn't look like the cast credit has been mentioned in this thread yet, he is 佐藤博 on the official Tezuka website.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Unable to Verify
(2004) Gantz (TV) : Paint (ep 18) , VFX (ep 18)

Since the episode in question was outsourced to Satelight, I'm fairly certain it should be with 佐藤洋.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

佐藤裕
(2010) (The) Qwaser of Stigmata (TV) : Screenplay (ep 14) , Production Advancement (eps 2, 6, 9) Source Same kanji for both tasks.
(2011) Morita-san wa Mukuchi (OAV) : Script Source
(2011) (The) Qwaser of Stigmata II (TV) : Script (ep 4)Source

This is the same kanji as the person who (in later credits) works for Trigger (whose name is a confirmed "Yū" going by titles that have official romanized credits). I'm thinking it's probably the same person: similar in that they do both script and production tasks. There is also a script credit with the same kanji in Red Garden way back in 2006 that is currently on Yutaka Satō.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1