• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Merging World Trigger and World Trigger: Tōbōsha Hen

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
I suggest to merge tis two entries:
anime#16125
anime#17677

They air without any gap between them and seems like Toei simply treats it as an arc, rather then a completely new series (what is supposed to be a start of a new series is listed as an episode 49).
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/wt/
https://youtu.be/JY3uagwndew
http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/worldtrigger/story/0049/
http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/worldtrigger/story/0050/
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
Per Dan:
Dan42 wrote:
The official policy is to split series whenever they can be
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
IIRC, the translated title of the latter was supposed to be "Visitors from another world", which was only the title for episode 49. There's no indication on the show, either in the title card or the episode previews that this is meant to be anything other than a continuing season.

the same as Sailor Moon Crystal
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Per Dan:
Dan42 wrote:
The official policy is to split series whenever they can be

By the same token, in one of those links he says:

Dan42 wrote:
Long series should be split per season in logical staff/cast groups. For example when a new story arc begins, often the entire secondary cast will change, so that's a good point to start off a new series. But if the same story arc continues with the same staff & cast, it doesn't make much sense to duplicate all existing info in a new series.

The staff/cast of World Trigger is continuing unchanged from what I can tell offhand. They don't appear to be actually rebranding the series the way Naruto or Dragonball did either. There might be a few low level animators that don't work on more recent episodes, but it won't be long before each entry for the series is largely identical.

If World Trigger goes on to be a long running series, I doubt they'll announce the continuation as a "new series" either, they'll just continue it. Long running series don't really have seasons to break it out into them, so a divide like this will likely end up being fairly arbitrary.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't follow this series, but the original announcement seems to imply to me that the series is taking a new direction (original story not in the manga, new characters) that may necessitate a new entry. This happens with some continually long running series. Aikatsu!, for instance, has distinct splits (with new major characters emerging, whether they replace the old ones or not) after every four cour, even if the title of the series in broadcast remains the same and the official episode numbering doesn't restart.

I was looking to see if I could get a hint in the home video release, and it looks like the series is only solicited up to Vol. 16 on Amazon, which happens to end right at episode 48. So I guess it remains to be seen whether it continues on to Vol. 17 looking exactly the same, or if it will appear different with a new subtitle.

In any case, I need to reiterate in case this sequel entry stands (since I've seen this being done incorrectly a number of times: more often with split cour series, though) that episode titles and precisions must follow the official numbering. Do not start over from "1" unless you see it being done officially (in show, or on the Japanese broadcaster/producer's website).
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
The staff/cast of World Trigger is continuing unchanged from what I can tell offhand. They don't appear to be actually rebranding the series the way Naruto or Dragonball did either. There might be a few low level animators that don't work on more recent episodes, but it won't be long before each entry for the series is largely identical.

If World Trigger goes on to be a long running series, I doubt they'll announce the continuation as a "new series" either, they'll just continue it. Long running series don't really have seasons to break it out into them, so a divide like this will likely end up being fairly arbitrary.

While I do agree that merging these two World Trigger anime entries would be best, the main staff did change in its second year. The official website is still listing the same main staff responsible for the first 48 episodes, but this screencap from episode 49's credits shows that Kôji Ogawa is the new series director, while Toshihisa Kaiya is now the sole character designer instead of sharing the position with Hitomi Tsuruta, and someone named 境防人 ("Sakimori Sakai"?) is in charge of series composition.

Still, Saint Seiya Omega went through a similar main staff overhaul when it started its second year, and yet there wasn't a separate entry for it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I made the split, so I'll explain my initial reasonings why I did it.

The series was being marketed in news announcements in Japanese magazines as a new season. Similar to the above postings, the focus was that starting with this new arc, the show is deviating away from the manga for anime-only content.

Also, the original World Trigger anime was solicited as only 50 episodes by Toei.
Source: http://www.toei-animation.com/en/content/world_trigger_on_crunchyroll

This is an extension past that which is another reason why I made a new entry.

Edit to add: after checking http://seesaawiki.jp, it looks like the staff of the previous season did leave so I updated the Encyc page to reflect this.

KutovoiAnton can you update the minor cast credits you added to the page? Episode 48 marks the last episode of season 1, season 2 starts with episode 49. Mau seems to have conflated the two but you can see that episode 48 aired on October 4 while the premiere of season 2 began on October 11.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
Filler arc will end on January, 31 and will returm to the manga material. So, what do we do now? Merging two series or adding "World Trigger (TV2 (or should it be TV3)"?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I think the simpler answer might be to just change the title to World Trigger (TV 2) and drop "Tobosha Hen" from the official title. It could be added as a note to the episode titles instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I agree with octopodpie.

The title card of World Trigger was never changed to indicate a change in title, and other than it being a very obviously filler arc, there's no apparent change from the previous episodes, to it being a "new series."

The major staff change, and ANN's policy for splitting seasons, agree with there being 2 entries, but not for a title change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1