• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: New Omakase Deals: Free Otakon Ticket or 30% OFF

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Scam
LordAura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
Scam
No it's not. They're a legitimate company and this is a legitimate deal they're doing. Maybe you should research more before spouting nonsense.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Enjoy America's premier anime merchandise subscription service

They really shouldn't have buried who they are and what they do at the end of the ad. How am I even supposed to know what the heck OMAKASE is? Is it so ubiquitous we know right away what they're talking about, like they're McDonald's or Coca-Cola? Poorly written.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
LordAura wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
Scam
No it's not. They're a legitimate company and this is a legitimate deal they're doing. Maybe you should research more before spouting nonsense.

I DID look into it. They keep billing you EVERY MONTH unless you cancel. It's not a one-time thing.

Also, the videos they posted of the "unboxing" of the Omakose are so obviously staged. The actress doesn't even know the names of the characters she claims to be so excited about, and she's not even holding the box the way a normal person would.

They say it's "curated", but they almost certainly are just going to send you whatever merchandise they can get at a bulk discount.

Plus, their price is way, way too high. They're also based out of Switzerland, so even if they get the licensing for a series, it probably won't be valid for North America (N.A. and Europe often are different regions for these sorts of things)
MaxGoof

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
LordAura wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
Scam

I DID look into it. They keep billing you EVERY MONTH unless you cancel. It's not a one-time thing.

Also, the videos they posted of the "unboxing" of the Omakose are so obviously staged. The actress doesn't even know the names of the characters she claims to be so excited about, and she's not even holding the box the way a normal person would.

They say it's "curated", but they almost certainly are just going to send you whatever merchandise they can get at a bulk discount.

Plus, their price is way, way too high. They're also based out of Switzerland, so even if they get the licensing for a series, it probably won't be valid for North America (N.A. and Europe often are different regions for these sorts of things)

Uhhh... they're a subscription box service, the same as every other major subscription box service out there. Loot Crate, Marvel Collector Corps, Nerd Block, Star Wars Smuggler's Bounty, etc. all follow the same business model. That does not make it a scam.

The Naruto box is going to include the Toynami Sasuke figure from four years ago that never saw production, which alone was enough to earn my subscription dollars for the box. The Gaara plushie is one I haven't gotten for myself yet, and I like the gold Naruto Minininja figure. If I don't like the theme for the next box, I'll just go to their site and click the "cancel subscription" button. Simple as that.

Omakase has been great so far--it gets high marks from me.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I think part of MidoriUma's issue with the ad is that step one on the "Deal 2: FREE Otakon 2016 ticket with your first OMAKASE box" section doesn't really indicate that it's a reoccuring payment. The way it's written makes it seem like a one time cost. I'm sure once a person actually goes to the site it'd be more obvious, but the ad needs more clarification in that section that the cost is on a reoccurring basis and not a one time thing.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I would venture a guess that this marketing partnership with ANN is not going as well as they have planned, or garnering enough fervor they need to sell these subscriptions, thus these ensuing discounts.

Personally I am not even the least bit interested in the service; One because with the ease and prevalence of the internet, I can easily pick and choose my merchandise and import if for far cheaper than the monthly subscription, and it is also worth noting that some of these items are already popping up secondhand online; Two, I don't like the 'secret reward' business model and would prefer to just know immediately what I am getting every month; Three, I haven't heard anything overwhelmingly positive about this service to sell me this brand, either from casual reviewers or actual subscribers who receive these 'cool, limited-time rewards'.

I guess it is a herd mentality, and right now it seems to be going south. Hopefully we won't loose a sponsorship to ANN and a advocate in the anime consumer/internet community.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
I think part of MidoriUma's issue with the ad is that step one on the "Deal 2: FREE Otakon 2016 ticket with your first OMAKASE box" section doesn't really indicate that it's a reoccuring payment. The way it's written makes it seem like a one time cost. I'm sure once a person actually goes to the site it'd be more obvious, but the ad needs more clarification in that section that the cost is on a reoccurring basis and not a one time thing.

I don't know, it clearly says "first" and "subscription." Plus, as others have mentioned, it's the same as loot crate and all of the myriad of others, so it's not like it's a foreign concept.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1