• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mr. Osomatsu (TV) (all seasons + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16

This is the best episode since the long lost Episode 1, with the triumphant return of the F6! Yay!! I was laughing from the very first spurt of blood (which sounds just awful if you haven't seen the episode yet!). I wish the subs hadn't kept translating the audible (and visible) English "lotion" as "lubricant" though. Not only was it annoying, but there was enough blatant sexual innuendo without shoving it in our faces in the sub.

Anyway, the fighting tactics of the F6 killed me along with their opponents, and all the other segments were just as funny.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
While it kept throwing me off, lotion (the loanword) can apparently be either regular skin lotion or sexual lubricant. I wonder if a Japanese viewer would take it as the lubricant meaning upfront or a double entendre... In any case, they really went all out during that F6 segment. That was some insane fanservice--and it was funny to boot!

Fukuyama Jun really got to emote this episode. I don't think Ichimatsu has ever been this loud, mostly because we've never been inside his head. It's nice getting some concrete insight into his actions. (Are these "incident" episodes going to be Osomatsu walking in on his brothers in precarious situations?)

Is it...kinda ironic that Osomatsu was being so friendly with Karamatsu, but it wasn't actually him? He missed out on free food and having Osomatsu admit he wanted to try his jacket. Poor guy just can't win.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Since they were putting it on their skin, I assumed it was lotion, which of course can also be used as lube. Lube, however, is not normally used as an emollient. :) So translating it as lube seemed both wrong and unnecessary, never mind the dissonance with what was right in front of us. Calling it lotion wouldn't have impeded the innuendo one bit (the shape of the bottles was more than enough to get the point across!).

I only just noticed that the ED is different each time now, though I haven't listened enough to tell if the spoken parts are just spoken by different brothers, or if their lines are different too. I'm guessing the latter. I wish I had translations!

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
leongsh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
The subtitle translation calling it, "lubricant", is absolutely correct. The Japanese call it lotion. If you go to an online Japanese sex shop to see what a bottle of such lubricant looks like, the bottle shown in this episode of Osomatsu-san is it.

I was laughing so hard with the parody using blatant sexual innuendo of the first part.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Mad Max, and F6. Every time they said something about getting wet I got close to audibly laughing, which I actually did. "I will protect your mum" *winks and mother dies*

But I think I enjoyed even more Ichimatsu having to hide that he was wearing Karamatsu's clothes. Funny because it seemed like one of the nicest ways "Karamatsu" has been treated, usually he is being ignored or pointed out how painful he is to the others. Plus Ichimatsu actually worked up rather than his usually low energy character. I totally lost it when he spoiler[confessed to Osomatsu].
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I only just noticed that the ED is different each time now, though I haven't listened enough to tell if the spoken parts are just spoken by different brothers, or if their lines are different too. I'm guessing the latter. I wish I had translations!

The second ED hasn't yet been released so I haven't had a chance to compare what is said, but as for the first ED, there is a different version for each brother and they say different lines pertaining to similar situations. I think it lets the personality of each brother shine.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:32 am Reply with quote
Oh I almost forgot about this.

The first half about the boys with the different art style really trolled me again lol. But regardless, the comedy was still pretty well done. Also, I heard this got a game adaptation recently. Good to see the franchise getting more and more popular.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Ep 17

I LOVE JUUSHIMATSU. XDDDD
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Jyushimatsu should be a national holiday.

Another crazy episode.
I think we even got some magic or rather Peter Pan reference thrown in there LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
The best thing about Jyushimatsu is that you can rarely predict what he is going to do. Like I quite enjoyed the visiting sick child (Todomatsu), where he goes from insisting his name when asked who he is, getting the person's name wrong, telling to turn on the TV for no good reason, and even confusing the kid as having his name. Jyushimatsu just grabs the pace of whatever scene he is in and puts it at his mercy. Like that interview skit a couple episodes back.

I would say my favourite part was Jyushimatsu Pan, where it becomes increasingly that the dream part only applies to strong baseball enthusiasts and he abandons Totoko in the Dominican republic. Plus Tinkerichi.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Steroids! That was hilarious! Has anyone ever been as happy as Jyushimatsu to get a huge needle to the butt?! (And yet, it was still sad to see him cry)
This ep was so much fun! Glad Peter Pan is in the public domain...at least, I hope so!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
^ Yeah, but anabolic steroid abuse tends to have the opposite effect from what he finally ended up with. ;D
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18:

Holy shit.

That was soooooooooooooo funny LOL. Yes, I got some Mario Kart vibes too (also a Scooby Doo vibe from one of the racing episodes for some reason). Ah, what a funny little plot twist at the end as well. That was a very amusing episode though, loved it.

I hope we get more episodes like this where all the major characters participate in some fun competitive way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
What with the rules of the game, the bloody flag planting, and Iyami's indecent exposure, just to mention a few of the questionable details, this might be the most blue this series has gone. Smile I'm not sure I even recognize the winner.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:39 am Reply with quote
Totoko was my favourite part of the episode. From sweet first appearance, to revealing her kart as a horrifying fusion of shark and crab, beating up the karts of the Matsunos, and then in the race too. Her swearing like a sailor with accompanied bleeps, with scary character design and Choromatsu trying to beat her by going into F6 mode but her still mercilessly resisting it before being beaten by naked version of Ichimatsu.

Bunch of call-back jokes including characters, there was even a centaur who I think appeared in that one horse track short. Jyushimatsu was still so happy for who one that it makes it hard to dislike him, but still love also every character for acting so self interested in themselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9