• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Ancient Magus' Bride GN 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree about the relationship between Chise and Elias. It's very unique and refreshing and something I find quite memorable throughout this series.

Great characterization. This manga still remains strong and I hope it can continue that momentum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently reading this series and I'm enjoying it so far. So don't be surprised that if it picks up and gets a show. But hell there's not enough material. Well, here anyway.

Speaking of which gotta go pick up my copy I requested from the NYPL.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
This volume is my favorite so far, particularly the whole idea of "I'm being looked after by a true monster". It's like a fresh twist on Beauty and the Beast, with Beauty having trouble thinking she's worth anything more than spit and the Beast never having been human to begin with. I can't wait for the next volume. :)
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this is a really wonderful and magical manga!
I think the art is gorgeous though. Definitely an A for me.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
This volume is my favorite so far, particularly the whole idea of "I'm being looked after by a true monster". It's like a fresh twist on Beauty and the Beast, with Beauty having trouble thinking she's worth anything more than spit and the Beast never having been human to begin with. I can't wait for the next volume. Smile

That's exactly what I took from this.

While I find the world that is being explored to be interesting, but what draws me in the most are Chise and Elias.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:20 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

While I find the world that is being explored to be interesting, but what draws me in the most are Chise and Elias.

Glad to hear you feel the same. And yes, Chise and Elias's relationship is clearly the main draw here. I look forward to see how it develops from here.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Agreed.

belvadeer wrote:

Glad to hear you feel the same. And yes, Chise and Elias's relationship is clearly the main draw here. I look forward to see how it develops from here.

And agreed
stevek504

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I see that there are five volumes listed. But is that the end of the series, or is it still ongoing in Japan?
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:
I see that there are five volumes listed. But is that the end of the series, or is it still ongoing in Japan?

Wikipedia lists it as ongoing, and that volume 5 is out in Japan in March. But there's only 5 non-collected chapters, and all of the other volumes have had 5 chapters, so either it's being published close to the time the chapters are originally published, or it's finished, and Wiki is either a) wrong about it being ongoing, or b) lists it as ongoing until the volumes are finished.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
It's still going. http://comic.mag-garden.co.jp/mahoyome/ (the JP publisher's site) lets you view the latest two chapters, and the end of ch25 (published this past monday, looks like) ends with a "to be continued in next issue (25 february)."

Even though the chapter was just serialized this month, it was certainly completed some time before that, and they may well be preparing the collected volume at the same time as they're issuing the magazine in order to have it out soon (two months) after. I think printing and distribution to retailers can happen a lot more quickly and efficiently in Japan with its limited geographic size, compared to US.
stevek504

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the information and the link (Dessa and lys). I am a big fan of Silky for some reason! I wonder what that says about me - I probably don't want to know :) spoiler[ Still I am glad to see that there is more on the way about her.]

If they ever did a made-for-tv movie, I could see Johnny Depp as Oberon....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1