• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Guys In Yaoi Claim To Be Straight?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
On a more basic level, such lines emphasizes the whole "Forbidden Fruit" angle. Doing things considered "bad" or "unnatural" (or witnessing such things) can be more arousing simply because they believe they shouldn't be enjoying it.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Man...being a gay anime fan has been an...experience. Feels like I've said a lot of about it, but I think I agree with most of what Justin says. That video was pretty cool, nice to see some perspectives over there.
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
A very enlightening article. There is probably not a better person than Justin to be answering this question. If you have been around this site for a while you know what I mean by that statement. I just dont think I should be the one to tell you if you haven't heard him mention it on the site in the past. I am happy this question came up and Im not surprised that Justin decided to answer it and Im glad he did. Anytime we get more exposure on what the LGBT group has to deal with as a whole then the better it will get in the future. Contrary to what the media makes it sounds like we still have a long way to go. There is still a lot of hate out there that we have to end.

Last edited by xchampion on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Something to consider is that denying your own sexuality does happen. It can take years for someone to even admit to themself that they're gay. So a character could be having these feelings for another man but try to repress them/still refuse to admit to themself that they're gay. & I have seen lots of posts on Yik Yak (an anonymous app for university students to post about pretty much anything) from guys claiming to be straight who also want to hook up with another guy so it is a bit of a minefield. What someone chooses to label their sexuality and what you label their sexuality may not necessarily be the same thing. I doubt yaoi is trying to highlight the inner turmoils of coming to terms with your sexuality but hey.

Also, that video did seem to raise a lot of points that I've seen in What Did You Eat Yesterday? (The whole being okay with it being someone else's child but not okay with it being your child thing; the having to hide it in a corporate job aspect, etc) So it is good that there's at least one series being released in the west that gives a more accurate depiction of being LGBT in Japan. I'd definitely recommend people read it. It's a very touching series and offers an LGBT manga that doesn't focus on the sexual side.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought thats what makes onodera and others relatable. Having an obvious crush on his friend from high school, they did it then and etc. Then he was burnt out on being a romantic after misinderstandings and not seeing him again until getting a job at the same company.

Anyway for the question I think its natural that people would go they are straight when they arent as its either difficult to stand out and not conform due to social prrssurrs, self doubt (like in manga and irl its not like there were actually openly gay groups of school kids around but I imagine thats changed in recent times but in my time it wasnt) if you dont see others then one goes through thinking its wrong and maybe their feelings wil change when older, and lastly being just uncomfortable around coworkers or new people. You dont know what the coworkers or new people feel towards people who are gay so its easier to lie that yoh are straight to avoid conflict. I think many bl taking place in the work place have teachers/businessmen who dont reveal their same sex preference, same for IRL until recent times. I usually dont make the reveal until feeling comfortable around others and also work laws are still a bit on the questionable side for homosexuals.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't all prey claim not to be? Wink
Hominidrive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
"the female gaze"
I can not [expletive] believe this. Remove this article.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Hominidrive wrote:
"the female gaze"

I'd ask how in the world that's offensive, but I have a bad feeling about going down that rabbit hole.

Also: no.
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Hominidrive wrote:
"the female gaze"

Too bad that already proved to be true long ago. And censoring also proved to be a bad way to deal with things.

Last edited by Cetais on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
-Ana-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Hominidrive wrote:
"the female gaze"
Are you trying to get offended by small and simple things. Everyone knows that the typical yaoi genre is mainly made by females and mainly females read it. Bara is the one aimed at actual gay men.
TheAAA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Hominidrive wrote:
"the female gaze"

I'll risk the rabbit hole.

The well-know "male gaze" refers to how men with sexual desires view the people they're sexually attracted to, and by extension how media aiming to titillate those men presents the people it expects its target audience to be attracted to. Going by that definition, the "female gaze" refers to how women with sexual desires view the people they're sexually attracted to, and by extension how media aiming to titillate those women presents the people it expects its target audience to be attracted to.

Like it or not, many women have sexual desires, and there's a good amount of media that aims to titillate those women. Female gaze is definitely a thing. Is it as pervasive and potentially toxic as male gaze? No (the reasons for which are a whole 'nother ball game that this isn't the right venue for discussing). But it's definitely real.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
-Ana- wrote:
Hominidrive wrote:
"the female gaze"
Are you trying to get offended by small and simple things. Everyone knows that the typical yaoi genre is mainly made by females and mainly females read it. Bara is the one aimed at actual gay men.

Justin said that IN THE ARTICLE!
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why this is terribly unrealistic to some people? It may be a bit of an over-used trope at this point, but I have quite a few gay friends (one of them being a lesbian, so this works in both directions) that told me they struggled for a long time to accept their sexuality. Many of them dated (or even got intimate with) the opposite gender first, trying to convince themselves that they were "normal" before finally admitting they were gay. I'm straight, so I can't say much more on it than that, but I don't think it'd be all that far-fetched to have a lot of inner conflict when trying to admit you were gay (though I won't argue that yaoi often probably takes it a few steps further that it should)

And why take the article down for one line that offends one person when that line is quite true? The majority of my friends who enjoy yaoi are females. Not all of them are exclusively straight, but female. I only know a handle of males who enjoy yaoi, even among my gay friends.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I do know a couple of gay men that prefer yaoi manga to bara. I'm a straight woman and I learn more towards bara. A lot of yaoi stories are cutesy and full of fuzzy feelings. I don't want that. Yaoi stories about guys meeting up and snuggling next to each other just don't do it for me (though, I have straight female friends that prefer those).

I'm not going to speak for every straight woman that reads yaoi manga, but the appeal for me is that there is actual, often believable sex. I find josei manga, on the whole, to be too vanilla for my tastes, seinen is almost insulting with its take on sex (OMG..a woman...who, when drunk, is a perv who wants to sleep with me!) and hentai aimed at straight men usually makes me laugh with its copious amounts of body fluid. Yaoi's appeal, for me, is that I see myself as the uke. So when the seme mutters that he's straight and can't understand his feelings, it still works for me.

I also think that yaoi artists don't receive the credit they deserve. Yaoi artwork is usually pretty cheap to buy, and often its much more detailed than art from male artists published in Shounen Jump and other large magazines aimed primarily at boys/men.
Random 21

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, speaking as a gay guy, I often find myself disliking a lot of yaoi shows. I want to like them! And there have been exceptions to the rule like Love Stage!, but for the most part a lot of yaoi shows can often be pretty rapey and, as has been mentioned, the guys involved are usually pretty ambiguous as to whether they are actually gay, bi, or if it's just a "true love conquers all" type angle quite a few go for (Even Love Stage! is guilty of that last one). In fact, IIRC, when I watched Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi, I was kinda taken aback by the fact that one of the guys actually does refer to himself as gay.

This is also why I really wanted to like HaruChika this season, gay characters like Haruta really are a rare breed, not stereotyped in any way, and it's refreshing to get some proper representation. Hopefully these new upcoming anime will break this problem as well, I doubt Super Lovers will be it but Doukyuusei looks promising. We'll see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6