• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
There's a Pervert Impersonating ANN Staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
This guy's a real slug. Hopefully this creep will be found and punished for this. Hey,you guys on ANN should sue this lowlife into oblivion. That's what he deserves! This creep deserves a ton of jail time,too.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Yikes. I know some folks who do cosplay photography sessions. I'll be sure to pass this along. Thanks for the heads up, ANN!
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
This is terrible news. Unfortunately this Predator is clever enough to use such tricks to manipulate people under the ambiguity of the internet. Socially, we are actually left at a disadvantage when we meet strangers online. In our online community, we need to protect each other within our fandom, particularly younger members who may face targeted attacks based on their lack of internet savvy ase well.

Any youngsters, and practiced members who may need a reminder, please consider these simple guidelines:

1.) Remember that once a video or photo is uploaded online, even if you delete it, it may still exist somewhere in some capacity for all to see and manipulate.

2.) Also, if you encounter someone on an online site, forum, or other social capacity that approaches you for any personal information, be wary. As ANN has stated, a site-sanctioned or officially protected and monitored email address will be their only method to contact or obtaine such information. Actually, many popular sites will take it a step further, and will never contact you for this information, actually wanting you to contact them first. If you are unsure if you are being approached by someone with official credentials, contact the site directly through its official channel before giving out any information at all.

3.) And last, if you feel like someone is pressuring you, including threats or trying to guilt you into doing soemthing that makes you uncomfortable, take a step away from the keyboard and close the browser for a moment. The increased integration and necessity of the internet in our daily lives has made us forget that our carefully crafted online personas are simply that, a shadow of who we are, but worth inifinitly less. Things said by or situations offered online should not affect your self esteem or self worth. Protect your self and be confident in your dignified refusal to betray your own rights.

That turned into more of an essay than I intended, but hopefully this business with Mr. Pervert will end in capture and capitol punishment, but I would say if he/she is clever enough to create this ruse, he/she is probably familiar with the site at least enough to navigate its credentials and features. This message is for that person if they read this: spoiler[You need to stop being an asshole and seek professional help. Take your meds and stop before things escalate, because they will. The people you are victimizing are innocent and worth far more than your cheap sexual thills.]

Thank-you for the heads up and publicly discussing this infomation, actual ANN Staff. Now we can spread the word and hopefully keep the community on alert.

Last edited by Usagi-kun on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
Scrutinize email addresses and links very closely. Make sure, for example, that zac@animenewssnetwork.com really is legit.
It took me a bit to realize that the e-mail address there had an intentionally introduced misspelling. Yikes. Good point. Someone registering a URL that's a near-match for the real one would mean that even checking for a @gmail.com or @yahoo.com address wouldn't be enough.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that it's come to this really. Now sites have to post warnings like this because a few scummy individuals must exploit what should be a great thing (a common interest), something that should be celebrated and enjoyed, at the expense of innocents.

I suppose the only thing you can do is advise people to be vigilant concerning their personal information and for things like photo shoots/commissions, and to heed the warning bells when things get uncomfortable. However, I acknowledge that this is easy to say but in practice, might not always be easy to do. Hopefully the person in question gets their just desserts.
Otakuteen18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Damn that's some shit and he's still running free talk about major creeper alert.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Mr. Pervert is actually Justin's goateed evil twin from the mirror universe? Shocked

I kid, but in all seriousness this guy sounds super creepy and I hope he gets caught soon before anyone gets hurt.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for this article, ANN. The more people are informed, the better they can protect themselves and hopefully put an end to this POS.

The only people who resort to these kinds of stunts are creepy losers who have zero hope of ever fostering a healthy relationship.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
This seems like a scheme that is skeevey, but could be passed as a 'prank' if the victim isn't gullible enough.

Thank you to ANN for the warning.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Not only is he exploiting people's hobbies for his immediate fulfillment (which is awful in and of itself), he's pretending to be ANN staff to do it? That's just low. I've never understood why people like this feel the need to go out and find people to victimize just because, and then THIS... Gentleman... just had to go out and deface ANN in the process. Just.... Ugh.

Last edited by GeneStriker on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
We`ll do this when we see him, thanks for the heads up ANN Staff.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Pervert should use various webcam services instead of deceiving underaged girls. Seriously those who want free sex service by harassing/assaulting others are the worst.

I'll pass the headsup on my DA/tumblr. I'm not a very active user but it's better than doing nothing.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
On wow... That's just... Wow.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one wondering why it took a year and a half for ANN to publicize this? If you knew that someone was pretending to represent their corporation in the hopes of getting nude photos from female cosplayers, shouldn't you have notified users of this board much earlier? Even if this pervert was in no way affiliated with ANN staff, the fact that you knew that this was going on but waited so long to warn users that this was happening just reeks of irresponsibility (and possible lawsuits from those affected).

What I'd like to know is whether or not the perp has been caught? I might be a bit more understanding if you were unable to talk about these events due to possible complications to a police investigation, but if not, a simple PSA stating that ANN will never contact you for risqué photos would have been helpful.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
LOL love the cosplayers reply in the chat "umm okay" haha. He goes right for it doesn't take his time at all "...before you take them off!" lol oh man can't wait to see what this dude looks like for some reason I'm thinking Martin Shkreli.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5