• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Monster Girl Safari

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I love the conceit of these stories, but I'm decidedly not the demographic, so I'm also awaiting the arrival of monster boys on the scene. I really enjoyed Orenchi no Furi Jijo-- I want more of the same!
TrustTheFungus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Monster girls are the new little sisters!
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
animechic420 wrote:
Will there ever be any Monster Boys/Men in the future at some point???

Ancient Magus' Bride almost feels like a very limited version of a "monster boy" comic, considering how quickly they've been introducing new monstrous fey boys.

Not really the same thing, though.

Huh. You're right. I, too, never really thought of The Ancient Magus' Bride as "Monster Boy". It doesn't have that fell, you know???
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Until there's a spider mouth vagina lady who doesn't transform back to human, there won't be a monster girl for me Sad
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Monster Girls became a trend just around the time a certain pony show got big on the web (the first 2 seasons are good btw.) and Monster Girls are now "New York Times Bestseller" material Confused.
What always like to know is how much copies these "bestsellers" actually sell.
Vol.1-5 of Musume (i hate it) sold 900.000 combined for example which is good for 2014 but hardy impressive as Tokyo Ghoul is selling the same and just think about how big Tenchi (aka. the harem franchise) used to be in the 90s. All these successes are nothing unless we are talking about One Piece which finally started to settle down. Today's printing market is in a pretty deep crisis so the pond is getting smaller and smaller. I may be able to boast that Miura´s baby is a "bestseller" in the US but it also went out of print multiple times (!) so what does this even mean?
Bestseller lists are destined to become even more crazy in upcoming years with how small/weird the market got. What will the next boom and bust be?

Someone should have license Nana to Kaoru for example (also trash), as it is in Germany, to then have ridden on the recent SM craze but they didn´t so that train has left. Idiots and i may have a talent for publishing (but i also went to library school). Monster Girls are also nothing new.
I read 1993´s Kouryuu no Mimi (a true drug trip!) on this very day and the protagonist get to have a LOT of sex with a female Werewolf. Image´s award-winning Saga (that´s how you write erotic fiction - 10/10) also manged to land 5 of the 10 spots on the 2015 Graphic Novels bestseller list so fake bestiality isn´t quite lost on me or even critics i respect. These just need writers who can string a coherent sentence together. Get to it Japan.

@Lemonchest
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I think 12 Beast from Seven Seas also fits the criteria. It starts with a harpy girl recruiting a guy. Judging from the front color page it will involve a number of monster girls.

Also I surprised that no one has mentioned Spice and Wolf yet.

@animechic420

Kamisama Kiss is a reverse harem with multiple monster guys. Also The Demon Prince of Momochi House would qualify.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Just a quip, some people really don't like snakes, and having huge arse snakes can give them the the heebee jeebees.........

-G who really doesn't like snakes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I adore monster girls.

I also eagerly await the influx of monster boys that I hope will happen soon! Very Happy
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:41 am Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:

Well... maybe this can be considered some kind of start? Possibly? ^^;; Technically, A Centaur's Life/Worries should count too, since everyone is "monsters" in that one.

If you're thinking something more along the lines of Monster Musume, though, I have no idea.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:00 am Reply with quote
The most interesting thing about A Centaur's Life is that on the thematic level it's mostly about the lasting structural impact of past racism.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
This talk about monster-girls created two thoughts. In order of when they popped up in my head:

Has the rise in monster-girl series started spinning off into anthro/furry stuff in Japan? In 2016, we've got the Zou arc in One Piece, The Boy and the Beast, and Star Fox Zero, and while certainly unintentional, I think Japan's getting Zootopia by the end of the year too. There's been an uptick in kemono artwork from amateur artists, in any case.

The second thought: We already have a popular monster-girl franchise in the west. It's Monster High. Problem is that Mattel has never made any serious attempt at a series, so we'll never really see any significant integration of the "Monster" part besides a general Halloween look. Because the premise is technically unisex though, there've been a lot of male characters introduced recently.

Herald Of JOJO wrote:
I watched Mon Musu out of pure curiosity. Well, that and the colours. I like a rainbow dynamic in my anime/manga.

After watching it, I came to one conclusion.

Rachnera best girl. Embarassed

Rachnera is definitely very awesome and memorable.

Top Gun wrote:
(Though I am genuinely freaked out by those cyclops images. One massive eyeball the size of a watermelon? *shudder*)

I'm wondering where their brains, ear canals, and nasal passages are located. Then again, normal anime characters with two eyes sometimes have eyes so big that they'd logically crowd out their internal organs too.

residentgrigo wrote:
Monster Girls became a trend just around the time a certain pony show got big on the web (the first 2 seasons are good btw.) and Monster Girls are now "New York Times Bestseller" material Confused.

Season 3 was definitely a slump, but personally, I think it hit its stride again in seasons 4 and 5. Having to rush to make the Equestria Girls shorts really hurt the third season, but it looks like they figured out a way to divide the work properly now.

(Even then, Corey Powell came in during Season 3, whom many consider is the show's best writer, even though he's actually supposed to be writing for Littlest Pet Shop. He came in with a remarkable splash, with "Sleepless in Ponyville" and "Just for Sidekicks" being well-liked episodes in a much-hated season.)

rankothefiremage wrote:
Just a quip, some people really don't like snakes, and having huge arse snakes can give them the the heebee jeebees.........

-G who really doesn't like snakes

Now I wonder if there's some doujinshi out there with Miia and Indiana Jones.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
animechic420 wrote:

Well... maybe this can be considered some kind of start? Possibly? ^^;; Technically, A Centaur's Life/Worries should count too, since everyone is "monsters" in that one.

If you're thinking something more along the lines of Monster Musume, though, I have no idea.

The Pet Shop of Horrors manga is probably the closest you can get for that, but it isn't quite the same. Generally, the animals in the shop appear as vaguely eroticized humans with animalistic visual motifs. Like, a young male tabby cat will appear as a half-naked teenaged boy with fangs, pointy ears, and an '80's hair metal outfit with tiger stripes. -And he will be draped over the lap of someone else, because he's a cat. They only appear human, though... So not truly monsters for the most part (although there are fanciful creatures like qilins and dragons). However, it is a pet shop of horrors... So there are definitely some monstrous ones, and the occasional bit of fanservice. Not nearly as much as Monster Musume, though.

-But if you like a Gremlins kind of vibe with your monster folk, and a side dish of androgynous sex appeal, it sort've fits.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote
With the question about monster boys/men, wouldn't something like Inuyasha count?

As for monster girls, I dipped my toe by checking out Monster Musume. Didn't enjoy the first couple of episodes. Wait, I really enjoyed the first episode, fell asleep during the 3rd. Dropped it.

Liked My Monster Secret a lot, but have to say that the manga comes off a bit better to me than the anime did. Have only read one volume, but I'm liking it a lot more.

On My Monster Secret, while I have no issue with the title they went for, seeing it, I couldn't help but wonder one thing. And, it may have been something I preferred to have seen. Since they have the Actually I Am... in a smaller font underneath the larger My Monster Secret title, I just feel like they could've reversed them and had Actually I Am... in bigger font, with My Monster Secret in the smaller font.

The covers, from what I've seen, make it pretty clear that the girl pictured is a monster girl. May have worked better. This isn't a complaint, just something I thought of when I first saw the manga cover. And, it was something that crossed my mind, as the Actually I Am... title is (supposedly) closer to what the Japanese title is.

Anyway, I soon will be collecting a 2nd monster girl series. And, that's because I'm going to be buying My Girlfriend is a T-Rex. I made the decision to buy the series when it was announced, as it sounds so ridiculous.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon Season 3 of MlP was ok but i can´t watch 10+ seasons and stopped with the last from S03. I got out while i still was ahead and the original creators are gone too. Let it go, let it go! Turn away and slam the door.

I wonder what the fan-base of Breath of Fire would look like today if the series still went on...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:02 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Until there's a spider mouth vagina lady who doesn't transform back to human, there won't be a monster girl for me Sad
Well, Wicked City almost meets that criteria.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4