• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Jan 29-Feb 4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Why is Lupin so low in the first poll? The episode has a 4,3, way more than BBK/BRNK (3,5). And in the second it even goes up two positions. Maybe did you write 3,3 in the first one without realizing?
Random 21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
Rakugo is oddly low but yeah I refuse to believe Lupin dropped so much, I don't recall people hating the episode THAT much
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Why is Lupin so low in the first poll? The episode has a 4,3, way more than BBK/BRNK (3,5). And in the second it even goes up two positions. Maybe did you write 3,3 in the first one without realizing?

Rankings aren't done with a direct comparison of average scores.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
justsomeaccount wrote:

Rankings aren't done with a direct comparison of average scores.

I believe the first ranking is because it compares the ratings from the latest episode.

And like the other posters, some kind of error was made with the ranking of episode 18 of Lupin.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Lupin III, down by 16 points. One Piece, up by 14 points.

That's too funny.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
The popularity of IBO continues to baffle me.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's quite strange how the rankings for Lupin III - Part IV fell so much since the episode didn't seem that bad (at least to me) Confused
And even though I don't think it was the best episode of all the anime this week the Mobile Suit Gundam : Iron-Blooded Orphans episode this week was by far my favourite of the series so far even though it didn't have as much action as the previous ones
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
After taking a look I can say there's no error per se, but there are a LOT of non-transitive preferences this week, much more than previous weeks. For example:
Gundam > One Piece
One Piece > Gintama
Gintama > Gundam

This is causing all sorts of weirdness in the ranking.

Once the reviews for KonoSuba and Myriad Colors are posted and the ratings start coming in, I'll recompute the ranking. Who knows, things might change a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I'd say IBO is less a meteoric rise but rather a return to form. When it premiered last season it regularly contended for top 5. If any show has had a meteoric rise, it is Grimgar. It didn't take top but it went up 11 spots. Considering the content spoiler[the death of Manato] it seems understandable, despite some comments about it being melodramatic among other complaints.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow, someone said that Naruto was still getting a lot of viewers but it certainly doesn't seem like that. Glad to see I'm not the only one thoroughly sick of the fillers. At this rate they're going to have to start a new show again like with Naruto Shippuden just to get all the viewers to come back when the finally decide to finish the story. The manga's been complete for a year now!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Wow, someone said that Naruto was still getting a lot of viewers but it certainly doesn't seem like that. Glad to see I'm not the only one thoroughly sick of the fillers. At this rate they're going to have to start a new show again like with Naruto Shippuden just to get all the viewers to come back when the finally decide to finish the story. The manga's been complete for a year now!

Unfortunately, the users are mostly not Japanese, who are the main audience. We have put Shippuden on the bottom since before last season. Unfortunately the Japanese fans haven't quit en masse or threaten to yet, so the producers keep putting out useless filler. Us non Japanese fans don't count to them
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
I keep crossreferencing what's being reviewed and what's being aired and I'm not seeing a lot of, well, anything. I check my options and I do a "Oh right, that's airing" take and then I look at this and see a lot of...

I'm not really sure.

Either there's too many series this season or I'm enjoying the wrong shows.

I take it there's going to be a lot of ""swapping" done around the episode 6-7 mark?
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
Wow this may be the only place where Erased isn't treated as God incarnate. Not that I don't like the show but holy heck is it absurdly overrated in some venues to the point where I jokingly say I feel almost unworthy to talk about it. Laughing Also Gundam still standing up in 2016 is a site to behold. So used to seeing my favorite franchise lambasted (unfairly sometimes IMO) that I feel like I've dimension hopped here. Shocked
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Wow this may be the only place where Erased isn't treated as God incarnate. Not that I don't like the show but holy heck is it absurdly overrated in some venues to the point where I jokingly say I feel almost unworthy to talk about it. Laughing Also Gundam still standing up in 2016 is a site to behold. So used to seeing my favorite franchise lambasted (unfairly sometimes IMO) that I feel like I've dimension hopped here. Shocked

Umm... Erased is #2 in the cumulative rankings and has been stable in holding that position for its five episodes, which in the long run are more important than the episodic ones.

I also love how "overrated" has become the go-to word for "stuff I don't like/like just a little but is very popular". BokuMachi may not be the second coming of Christ, but the winter season's pretty much a wasteland in terms of great new shows, so the few that stand out (this one and Showa Genroku) are of course going to receive a lot of praise, especially compared to the other borderline mediocre stuff. And really, what else stands out of this season that isn't carrying over from fall (Haikyu, Gundam, Lupin) or a sequel (Shirayukihime, DRRR)? I guess Grimgar would be the closest, but that one's really inconsistent in its writing and has downright deplorably out of place fanservice moments that really kill the mood of the show.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
I personally suspect ERASED will drop much lower as time goes on. What I personally know of what happens. It had so much potential, but things rapidly go downhill, which is unfortunate. Some people may enjoy where it goes, but I just found it boring that it decided to spoiler[eschew mystery. Although it makes sense to a degree, the author had somewhat written themselves into a corner, and there was no easy way to bring the story back into the future again otherwise].

Of the rest of the shows, it is sad to see the meteoric downfall of Lupin. And Grimgar seems on the up and up. I also find the pacing and quality of writing of the show a bit too uneven though. I do like it more than the light novel version though. They cut a fair bit out that I found annoying, particularly from the very beginning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2