• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: orange: The Complete Collection 1 GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
Hit too close home is a very positive point in a psychological manga tho.
Just look at Oyasumi Punpun lol
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
^It can be, but my main concern with this particular issue, suicide, is that it promotes an unhealthy fixation on the "if only I had" feeling that many left behind suffer from.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Wish I'd read this review of orange vol. 1 first. There was a certain other review I'd read somewhere else that spoiled quite a bit, including just how Naho is not alone. It still sounds like an excellent series, though, one which I'll try to pick up sometime.
britata348

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Great review! Glad to see the series got a physical release after it was on crunchyroll. Even more excited that it will have an anime - hopefully it will boost sales for Seven Seas too! I'm so glad they picked it up and are giving it such good treatment.

I think with hitting close to home, its not just the subject matter but with how realistically she confronts the subject... in a way that for people who have dealt with depression themselves or with a loved one will recognize. I've never seen another manga deal with the subject with quite this nuanced of writing, and its presentation feels so genuine, not cheap or for shock effect.
DOMEENAYTION

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
When I heard this series was getting an anime, I decided to read the manga (mostly because I was loving the art work). I fell in love with this series! I usually hate anything that brings time travel into it because most of the time, they just doubt do it right and there are a bunch of wholes. But this series doesn't focus too much on this and even explains why it shouldn't work but could work. It's really simple and that made me very happy. Not only that but the emotional turmoil and interactions were wonderful. Especially toward the end. 1000/10!!! Definitely going to watch the anime.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Colorful last night. It did, as you say, bring up a few long buried sentiments and regrets both personal and in-between the relationships of my core group of friends in highschool. Not all of us made it, and looking back, there are a thousand things I wish I could change, but even if *I* in the present wrote *myself* in the past a letter...well I probably wouldn't be smart or focused or selfless enough to change my role in any of them. Thinking about this principle, the sorrow, and the increasingly compounded sense of longing to connect with these ghosts of my past are stronger as the years go by, and even the good memories are bittersweet. I think in my case, I take solace in realizing that just as it is currently impossible to build a bridge linking these cross-dimensional periods of events, it is also impossible to find two humans who are exactly identical. We are are remarkably different, full of flaws, facets, and indeed unique...our mistakes and regrets paint a colorful portrait. Who we are and our influence on others is only made clear with time, and after the experience catches us looking back.

Thank-you for the review. I had not heard of this title, and it took me six years to build up the resolve to watch Colorful. I will look into this title in the next year.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
^It can be, but my main concern with this particular issue, suicide, is that it promotes an unhealthy fixation on the "if only I had" feeling that many left behind suffer from.

Having a cousin take his life a few years back, it really did hit me hard when the revelation is made.

And, while I do still have those thoughts, I actually liked this series a bit more for it in the end.

Quote:
Orange lets us fantasize about the possibility of changing that...even if that might not be the easiest or the best thing for us to do.

I will say, I did tear up a bit during this volume. But, the escapism I experienced was nice in the end. Bittersweet, but I've no regrets, and I'm looking forward to reading the 2nd (and final) omnibus, along with watching the anime.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Having in consideration I love psychological and that I'm quite the masochist, I think I'll love this. Usually, suicidal themes leave me in an anti-suicide mood...

... not that I was ever suicidal before. Just incredibly bitter, as now.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:16 am Reply with quote
This review pretty much sums up how I felt reading this on Crunchyroll--the constant anxiety about what might happen and what had happened kept me on tenterhooks with every chapter.

Speaking of hitting close to home, while I can't speak to the suicide aspect, I felt that the way orange depicted depression was eerily spot-on, even as it treated the subject matter with sensitivity and understanding, as I was, at the time, coming out of a particularly rough patch while struggling with my own depression.

It's a little hard to put into words, but the feeling that the author seemed to really understand--and most importantly, not condemn--depression made me love the series even more than I already did. One of my favorites. Smile
shuusei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Just a minor thing to point out, the review says this is the first 3 volumes however SevenSeas said that Omnibus 1 is Volumes 1, 2, and the first half of 3.

Still technically correct, just a minor knitpick. OT, I'm extremely interested in this, already picked up my copy, but I'm going to hold off on reading till the second book is released.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Wish this review had come out a few days sooner. I just made a big manga purchase at Right Stuff (free shipping over $50 woohoo) and was debating no this one. I had seen a review or any discussion here yet on it so I held off on buying it. *sigh* Well once the ole tax refund comes in I think this will be on the next purchase order I make. Maybe I'll also finally get vol 3 of Whispered Words and quit putting it off heh.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
shuusei wrote:
OT, I'm extremely interested in this, already picked up my copy, but I'm going to hold off on reading till the second book is released.

That's what I thought I'd do...until the copy arrived and was in my hands. Had to read it, couldn't wait until May (or June, depending on shipping delays) for the 2nd omnibus. Laughing
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

That's one of the main reasons I'm not really keen on this manga. Yes, I'm sure it's very emotional and everything (although from what I read it veered too close to melodrama for my taste), but the whole idea of "fixing" the future (even if it's another future) feels kind of hackneyed, and the whole future where Kakeru died, the characters, the relationships makes me feel really uncomfortable.

I mean, really, unhealthy fixation aside - "my childhood sweetheart was a troubled kid and committed suicide, this ruined my entire life, I can never be happy ever again"? Rather than making Kakeru not die, I would have rather wanted a story about Naho and her husband (the third wheel that we all know will give up on Naho in the end so she and Kakeru can be happy, because clearly the only romance that ever matters in your life is the one with your first love - by the way this is not a spoiler but I'd bet real money that this is what's going to happen) finding a way to get over the tragedy and moving on with their lives.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
shuusei wrote:
Just a minor thing to point out, the review says this is the first 3 volumes however SevenSeas said that Omnibus 1 is Volumes 1, 2, and the first half of 3.

Not sure when SS said that it was the first 2.5 books. (maybe that's what they were planning to do in the beginning, but plans changed at some point?) I'm the letterer for the series and I've got my printed copy right here, going all the way through the 12th chapter (end of original book3) and the author's afterword.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Rather than making Kakeru not die, I would have rather wanted a story about Naho and her husband (the third wheel that we all know will give up on Naho in the end so she and Kakeru can be happy, because clearly the only romance that ever matters in your life is the one with your first love - by the way this is not a spoiler but I'd bet real money that this is what's going to happen) finding a way to get over the tragedy and moving on with their lives.

I don't know if you read the manga all the way through, but you do get shades of this; you do get to see the other characters in the alternate timeline come to terms with Kakeru's death and move on, it's just the main focus is on the preventative timeline. But yeah, if something like Anohana isn't your cup of tea, orange probably isn't a good fit for you. ^^;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2