• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Voice Actors Work On Yaoi Drama CDs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Quote:
I can't find evidence of drama LPs, but perhaps those existed too.

Try looking for cassettes, I'd be willing to bet there were some.
No no, 8-tracks ha ha!
Quote:

SpacemanHardy wrote:
This reminds me of Vic Mignogna reading gay werewolf fanfiction.

No seriously, that happened!! Go look it up. Laughing

If this is true, it's hilarious considering how homophobic he is (was?).
That's why it would be not nearly as epic as Vic Mignogna starring in a gay werewolf radio drama.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
razberry_yum wrote:
Btw, is it me or are there less and less BLCDs being produced in recent years?

It's you. =P There's still plenty of BLCDs being produced.

That's a relief!
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
princess passa passa wrote:
Triltaison wrote:
While the answer is informative, I think the asker was actually asking something different than was answered. To me, it looked like they were asking why established anime voice actors still voice drama CDs and whether it's a step backward for their career (like the stigma for a film actor doing TV spots or straight-to-DVD movies).

I was thinking the same thing but I was thinking maybe how he phrased his question or that he focused on Yaoi Drama CDs rather than in general (shojo and the like).

But yeah I was thinking of the same question with it leaning more to "Why are top seiyuus doing Drama CDs in general?"

But I think I still managed to have my question answered with what Justin said.

The title and the question was actually: Answerman - Why Do Voice Actors Work On Yaoi Drama CDs?
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
Loveless100 wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Daisuke Ono and Hiroshi Kamiya working together on things (like my seiyuu OTP for comparison.)

If someone is looking for a good BL CD with them in it, I'd recommend Kotonoha no Hana. Really touching.

But on the topic of this column I think it's interesting how yaoi is OK and hentai is NG. I was thinking it had something to do with gender roles in Japan, but I suppose the dialogue in most hentai are a bit more perverse than BL. Seiyuu are equivalent to idols at this point and I guess the stigma of anything raunchy (even if it's just a voice) is a mark on your "pure card."

The answer is "Demand" and interest. Male market have a very wide variety of franchises and the #1 is the fan/official goodies like comiket merchs etc. they have a very large market competition, If I am a fan of hentai I would rather buy the manga/novel/anime etc. instead of a drama cd....In contrast the female market have a very few market competition and for some reason BLCD became an "interest" for female otakus in general, considering that the BL fandom is really huge in Japan, male voice actors earn more,not just because the BLCDs sells, its because they tend to have more lines/roles instead of doing the anime work which male seiyuus merely get any roles.

Anime casts ALOT of female characters(harem and LN adaptations) more female seiyuus are needed instead of male seiyuus, the only male VA's who can get the role of the "main protagonist" or the other supporting guy characters are the mainstream or renowned seiyuus like Ono or Kamiyan... And anime nowadays has only 1-2 male characters? While the rest are made up of entirely female casts. So the lesser known male seiyuus are forced to take on doing a drama CD just to earn
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4