• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GATE

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dumac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tyuule's plans have been doomed to failure from the moment we learned of them. She vastly overestimates the Empire's ability to wage war and the SDF's ruthlessness, and underestimates the human decency of the modern world. She's under the impression that the SDF would leap at any chance to annihilate the Empire, when if that was their goal, they'd've done it in the first month.

The Empire is a vague annoyance, and only Pina seems cognizant of that fact. That may change next episode though, with a full paradrop mission about to happen.

I think it is the extreme opposite, Tyuule has already accomplished most of her goals, it seems you think destroying a nation in too modern terms, this Empire controls and oppresses all other nations in the continent, so think more in terms of Roman Empire, core military strength destroyed(check), ruler is a pathetic dependent wrench(check), civil conflict/rebellion inside proper Imperial territories(heck), part of royalty/high nobility gives incentive to invade and divide the Empire(Check), etc. Empire as it is is done for and ready to be torn apart, even if Pina or her more sane brother will stabilize the situation to some extent it will change little, that is the reason Italy is not considered a direct successor of Roman Empire.

PS. If you think Japan or other EARTH nations will really care, well, whey will not, Japan already has strong relationship with Elbe, fracturing of the empire would actually help both.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I too thought Hamilton made off better than I expected considering her liege's treatment. I thought it was off to sex slave city for her, or wherever they keep them. I'm glad she wasn't victimized like that, but I at least expected her to receive the same treatment as Pina. Maybe she was assigned to guard the emperor, which would have looked bad if she was subsequently arrested and turned into a sex slave, but doing that to your sister isn't better. Also Zolzal needs to take a hint. He cannot beat the SDF, and he should really know better than anyone else. It would probably save his life to return to his earlier cowardice than his initial belligerent arrogance. It's almost like he wants to die painfully in disgrace.
Desa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
It more or less ended like a typical "day in the life of GATE". They didn't need to tie off every "loose end" since we are to assume that after this whole Zorzal affair is done everything will return to the usual routine, except now Pina is the ruler. Pina Co Lada, the most refreshing princess around. Please rule responsibly.

The 2nd prince essentially retired from politics the moment Zorzal took power. He clearly isn't all that interested in ruling an empire and fighting his siblings for power. As 2nd prince he's already got a pretty cushy life as it is especially since he's not involving himself in wars and political subterfuge.

The Pied Piper was just a hired assassin sent by Zorzal to kill Leilei, and hitmen don't work for free. Now that Zorzal is out of the picture I'm pretty sure the Piper is smart enough to realize his paycheck isn't coming.

As for Tyuule, obviously nothing hit her harder than losing her entire country, so ultimately revenge only served as a temporary distraction. Once her primary motivator was gone there was nothing stopping the depression from flooding back in. Perhaps Furuta will take her with him when he sneaks away from Zorzal's pro-war entourage but that's wishful thinking. The only thing that awaits her is a tragic end.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:42 am Reply with quote
Just got done watching. Not sure if there is anything left of the source material, but I'd definitely like to see another season.

I kept waiting for plot twists and sudden tragic deaths, but the show never went in that direction. I can't say I'm disappointed with that either - amidst all of the awesome dark and gritty TV and stories we have these days, it was actually pleasantly refreshing that the show avoided any Code Geass gut-punches.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
That first part felt unnecessary, there was never much of a reason why he should be an Otaku, I get why, as it paints him as one but also living a live and having a job, but it didn't relate to the plot.

Don't try and give the Wabbit a moment to feel sorry for it, it's been the villain forever and we aren't going to start feeling sorry for it now.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Don't try and give the Wabbit a moment to feel sorry for it, it's been the villain forever and we aren't going to start feeling sorry for it now.

Actually I have been a bit of fan of hers for a while now. She could have a fairly interesting story going forward if the author cared to write one.

I don't think Desa was "feeling sorry" for her as much as explaining why she was breaking down in her last scene. I think his comment about it is right or at least on the right track.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Not sure if there is anything left of the source material, but I'd definitely like to see another season.

There's a lot left of the source material, as this episode pretty much wraps up book 3 of the original 5 novel series, as I've said before in this thread. There's also 5 gaiden novels focusing one each of the heroines in Itami's party, plus the new series of novels said to come out soon which I believe was the reason for making this anime in the first place.

No info yet on whether or not another season is to be made though. I don't see why not, since apparently the DVDs and BDs have been selling well enough, and the original material and adaptations already out, plus merch, got a boost in sales as well.

Still, people on /a/ seem to think that it won't happen, because of the track record of A1 Pictures, and the fact that they pretty much made an ending to the anime that neatly wrapped a whole lot of things up; according to people who have read the original material in those threads, they said that a whole lot of the latter half of the episode was original material or something like that.

HaruhiToy wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Actually I have been a bit of fan of hers for a while now. She could have a fairly interesting story going forward if the author cared to write one.

She does have a fairly interesting story in the later books of the series, but we'll have to wait to see if they greenlight another season before we get to see it... IIRC, she's supposed to come off a bit better in the scene where Itami is threatening the Prince, but the anime seemed to cut it for time, and to get things all neatly wrapped up this episode.

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
Aside from the fight with the Fire Dragon, I honestly wasn't expecting much in the way of tension for this series.

The only thing I was hoping for in the end was getting to see Kuribayashi beat the crap out of Zolzal again, because that would have been oh so satisfying. Aside from that, I felt like the show wrapped enough to leave me feeling good about how it ended while leaving things open enough that they could do more if the sales are there.

Though I will say the marriage between the guy who got stabbed and the girl who stabbed him confuses me. I guess they sorted out their differences while they were recuperating or something.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote
Goober2049 wrote:
Though I will say the marriage between the guy who got stabbed and the girl who stabbed him confuses me. I guess they sorted out their differences while they were recuperating or something.

Delilah feels guilty for having been tricked into attempting to assassinate Noriko and then injuring Yanigida in the process. In order to make up for it, she vows to care for him in his recuperation in the hospital. The relationship progressing so much in such a short period of time in the anime is A1's attempt to wrap all the character relationship stuff in a timely manner as the anime ends and another season is not yet greenlit.

spoiler[When she recovers a bit more than he does, she employs her skills as a warrior bunny to serve as an agent under Yanigida's direction as commanded by the JSDF serving as his black ops], but that's not until the next novel which might not get animated, we don't know right now.

Oh, and apparently spoiler[Yanigida and Delilah go at it like bunnies (literally), since she complains of his stamina tiring her out].

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Delilah feels guilty for having been tricked into attempting to assassinate Noriko and then injuring Yanigida in the process. In order to make up for it, she vows to care for him in his recuperation in the hospital. The relationship progressing so much in such a short period of time in the anime is A1's attempt to wrap all the character relationship stuff in a timely manner as the anime ends and another season is not yet greenlit.

spoiler[When she recovers a bit more than he does, she employs her skills as a warrior bunny to serve as an agent under Yanigida's direction as commanded by the JSDF serving as his black ops], but that's not until the next novel which might not get animated, we don't know right now.

Oh, and apparently spoiler[Yanigida and Delilah got at it like bunnies (literally), since she complains of his stamina tiring her out].

That all makes a fair bit more sense than the complete lack of explanation in the show. I'll have to read the novels at some point.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I always felt that the story had ignored what could have been going on there with Delilah and Yanigida; even just a minute or two referencing that would have helped. That's the problem with these later episodes being so stuffed, though; I really don't know what I'd recommend taking out to fit that in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Goober2049 wrote:
I'll have to read the novels at some point.

Good luck, they're not in English at the moment and I believe there are no current plans to change that. Unless you know Japanese, you're currently SoL if you want to read them.

The LN adaptation of the story is also in Japanese and apparently in Chinese as well, with a fantranslation from the latter to English. That's probably your best bet, but that translation hasn't gone past the dragon fight, so you're missing the entirety of book 3 from what has been shown in the anime.

However, the LN has a lot more detail omitted from the anime for time reasons, so if you want some more in-depth story from this series, that's gonna be your only option.

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Good luck, they're not in English at the moment. Unless you know Japanese, you're currently SoL if you want to read them.

The LN adaptation of the story is also in Japanese and apparently in Chinese as well, with a fantranslation from the latter to English. That's probably your best bet, but that translation hasn't gone past the dragon fight, so you're missing the entirety of book 3 from what has been shown in the anime.

However, the LN has a lot more detail omitted from the anime for time reasons, so if you want some more in-depth story from this series, that's gonna be your only option.
I'm actually learning Japanese with the lofty goal of being a translator or localizer, so I s'pose I'd be able to read it eventually?
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:52 am Reply with quote
Dumac wrote:
Quote:
Tyuule's plans have been doomed to failure from the moment we learned of them. She vastly overestimates the Empire's ability to wage war and the SDF's ruthlessness, and underestimates the human decency of the modern world. She's under the impression that the SDF would leap at any chance to annihilate the Empire, when if that was their goal, they'd've done it in the first month.

The Empire is a vague annoyance, and only Pina seems cognizant of that fact. That may change next episode though, with a full paradrop mission about to happen.

I think it is the extreme opposite, Tyuule has already accomplished most of her goals, it seems you think destroying a nation in too modern terms, this Empire controls and oppresses all other nations in the continent, so think more in terms of Roman Empire, core military strength destroyed(check), ruler is a pathetic dependent wrench(check), civil conflict/rebellion inside proper Imperial territories(heck), part of royalty/high nobility gives incentive to invade and divide the Empire(Check), etc. Empire as it is is done for and ready to be torn apart, even if Pina or her more sane brother will stabilize the situation to some extent it will change little, that is the reason Italy is not considered a direct successor of Roman Empire.

PS. If you think Japan or other EARTH nations will really care, well, whey will not, Japan already has strong relationship with Elbe, fracturing of the empire would actually help both.

With this finale, we know for sure; all Tyuule's machinations did was forge a new, *stronger* Empire under Pina. Is it any wonder she felt empty? She failed in everything she wanted. She is *again* an exiled ruler, Zolzal is even worse than he was before, and now he's a terrified, paranoid wreck, scared of a sniper that will probably never be there. Pina is a much more open and reasonable ruler than Molt seemed to be, all of the pro-war faction has been similarly 'exiled'....She 'destroyed' the empire...by creating an even stronger one.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Goober2049 wrote:
I'm actually learning Japanese with the lofty goal of being a translator or localizer, so I s'pose I'd be able to read it eventually?

Good for you, good luck in learning it. Learning Mandarin was hard enough for me, and I can barely get by conversationally, as I have to keep mentally translating back to my native Cantonese. Although remembering characters is no picnic either.

Anyway, if that's the case, looking for the light novels will probably be best if you want to read Gate, either in a physical copy or online. Should have easier language. I have no doubt that's it's already been uploaded to the usual sites if you care to look.

If you want to find a physical copy, I'm pretty sure Kinokuniya has it, if there's one near you. I looked around my local one over by Bryant Park in Manhattan, but I couldn't read the spines, so I couldn't tell if they stocked it. If I really wanted to find it, I'd probably ask one of the employees there or search their inventory directory, but it was likely there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 31