• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America to Release Plastic Memories, Wagnaria!!3 on Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
While I hope they at least release Mushishi 2, I sincerely hope they release it at a time when they have decided that $180 for 12 episodes is just too freaking much and no longer working for them.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
They're probably never going to decide that. The US is just a side market to Aniplex; they charge high prices because they don't want reverse-importing.

That's what bugs me the most about them--they're fighting against allowing the anime market to expand beyond the tiny Japanese-otaku niche, even as disc sales in Japan continue to decline. I don't care much about buying discs anymore, personally, other than for movies--practically every series is online anyway, and I rarely find one I want to watch multiple times. It's just they could make so much money selling globally at fair prices, and not having to cater to the otakuest of the otaku would allow for more variety... but they won't try it.

On the other hand, the attempts so far at funding anime with U.S. dollars have created mainly blatant Western-nerd-appeal pandering, like Space Dandy, which was basically "Zapp Brannigan's Dreamland: The Anime." But people seem to love that type of thing, so maybe it'll lead to something unique, eventually.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Dammit. I knew it was impossible, but still hoped that some how AoA wouldn't release Working/Wagnaria and NISA would. Each set costs more than each season and you get less content (on disc and packaging). I don't think I can justify that. If the whole season was at the price each set is, I'd probably be able to justify making my first AoA purchase.
Hopefully these will be amongst the few AoA titles that get a nice discount during the holiday sale at RightStuf or I might never end up buying something from AoA.

I guess I shouldn't be so negative though, so to say something positive, at least it's just two sets and not three ::insert sarcastic thumbs up here::

Northlander wrote:
They will at least release the whole of Wagnaria S3 in one box, right? I'm kind of worried about individual box releases, because my shelves are already way, way, WAY overfilled.

Nope. From the article:
Quote:
Wagnaria!!3 will ship in two Blu-ray Disc sets on June 28 and August 30. Both sets will retail for US$89.98 and will include illustrated postcards and a box illustrated by character designer Shingo Adachi. The second set will offer the one-hour finale special in addition to episodes #8-13.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Thank God for fansubs and flash drives! Although most of the time I end up re-watching AoA titles on Crunchyroll anyways better quality. xD Good thing they have the Durarara!! dub on there for the entire series for free. Well except the newer season.

I just hope they don't get the rights to the upcoming Kiss Him Not Me anime adaption I have been waiting for it to get an anime for ages and I really want to add it to my shelf. Come on Sentai or Funimation!
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
Go to hell with your pricing model AoA.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Northlander wrote:
They will at least release the whole of Wagnaria S3 in one box, right? I'm kind of worried about individual box releases, because my shelves are already way, way, WAY overfilled.

Nope. From the article:
Quote:
Wagnaria!!3 will ship in two Blu-ray Disc sets on June 28 and August 30. Both sets will retail for US$89.98 and will include illustrated postcards and a box illustrated by character designer Shingo Adachi. The second set will offer the one-hour finale special in addition to episodes #8-13.

Hmm. OK, that's still livable. And the prices, while certainly higher than most other shows I buy, isn't quite as brutal as I expected. Bonus points for including the one-hour special too, which means that's the entire remainder of the show, presumably.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
While I'm still disappointed that NISA never released the first Working! season on BD, I will now be buying the series. I'm slightly in shock to see that AniplexUSA is actually going to be releasing the final season on disc.

But, this was a series where I decided that I would get the previous releases if AniUSA was to release the final season. I can't see a company over here licensing the show, seeing as no one did for the first 2 seasons, and the final season wasn't streamed here by an Australian company.

Better jump on it before those NISA sets become a bit harder to get a hold of...

Not happy about the price, which is worse for me due to the poor AUD, but it is a series I gotta own...the kind of thing that I'm sure Aniplex likes reading online...
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Not happy about the price, which is worse for me due to the poor AUD, but it is a series I gotta own...the kind of thing that I'm sure Aniplex likes reading online...

Yep. That's exactly what they want to hear. And that's okay, I guess. Anime is a weird market. And it's only because of people like us that it can stay that way... Very Happy Crying or Very sad
wastrel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, I will be getting Plastic Memories. But none of the others.

I was going to pick up Denki-Gai since I liked it well enough, but not when I saw what Ponycan USA wanted for it. I absolutely loved Sound! Euphonium and was definitely going to get it... until I saw Ponyup had it. I can live without it, and without all the others from Aniplex too.

These kinds of pricing models has me really thinking about which series I buy a physical copy of -- even when the series is from the lower priced suppliers like Sentai or Funimation.

And when your business model is making a person who chose a nickname of "wastrel" (because he wastes his money left and right) think very hard about not buying your product, you might have a problem.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Yep. That's exactly what they want to hear. And that's okay, I guess. Anime is a weird market. And it's only because of people like us that it can stay that way... Very Happy Crying or Very sad

Well, at least in this instance, it is only the final season of the show. So, it's just one season of 3 that'll hurt my wallet a bit more than usual.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
It's great to see these coming out on Blu-ray, but I can't say that I'm happy that Aniplex is releasing Wagnaria instead of NIS. Price aside, the packaging won't match, and it does seem kind of messed up to yank Wagnaria from NIS and sell it themselves even if they have every right to do so - especially when they yank the previous seasons rather than just not licensing the 3rd one to NIS.

Still, at least we're getting these shows, and we're getting them on Blu-ray. Not even AoA releases everything on Blu-ray. And I for one don't want to buy anything on DVD if I can avoid it. Blu-ray FTW.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
Go to hell with your pricing model AoA.

They're not really to blame. The people who buy their products are to blame.

They're still fairly terrible, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Hopefully these will be amongst the few AoA titles that get a nice discount during the holiday sale at RightStuf or I might never end up buying something from AoA.

You should probably plan on the worst case scenario.

penguintruth wrote:

They're not really to blame. The people who buy their products are to blame.

They're still fairly terrible, though.

They are totally to blame. It is completely unfair to put the burden of Aniplex's practices on the backs of hard core collectors. I only buy collector's editions of series that I extremely love, otherwise it is standard BD sets for other series that I want. Which means I am not going to get SAO or Fate/Zero, despite wanting them. But the blame for that does not belong to the hard core collectors. It is solely Aniplex's fault.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
People are foolish enough to pay their prices and so they keep them like that. If they folded because they weren't getting people to buy it at those prices, that would be their fault. But this is mostly the fault of the people who will pay 60+ bucks for 4 or 5 episodes because they throw in some postcards or its in a chipboard box. People easily swayed by flashy gimmicks, who will be paying for some industry fat cat exec's extra trip to the ritzy onsen this month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
People are foolish enough to pay their prices and so they keep them like that. If they folded because they weren't getting people to buy it at those prices, that would be their fault. But this is mostly the fault of the people who will pay 60+ bucks for 4 or 5 episodes because they throw in some postcards or its in a chipboard box. People easily swayed by flashy gimmicks, who will be paying for some industry fat cat exec's extra trip to the ritzy onsen this month.

The problem is not that hard core collectors or super fans of one series want to own those pretty collector's boxes and sets, but that Aniplex refuses to sell standard BD editions at normal western prices. Aniplex has made no bones about hoarding their titles, and I don't see a western boycott of Aniplex products changing Aniplex's practices.

It is patently unfair to punish collectors and fans for Aniplex's actions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3