• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash [2016-01-18]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Quote:
But those cost money, lots of it ...

Oh, damn they do, but most feudal lords would consider it an investment. What if you gain lots of territories in the victory? Maybe you can reward your men with a little piece of it (I forgot how this contract for 'sub-feuds' is called but there was a word for it), gain their loyalty, and maybe you can count with them for training new men and strenghtening a new army.

Vassal is the term you are looking for

mangamuscle wrote:
"Carthago delenda est" is proof you do not need to be a "monster" for a goverment to decide to wipe another society from earth. Therefore, if kobolds and goblins do have a language and some kind of self goverment, wouldn't it be the human thing to make long lasting peace? or I am misunderstanding what "to be human" means?

I think you answered your own question with the first sentence. Both war and peace are human, not one or the other. Peace would be the humane thing (meaning showing compassion or benevolence) but humans are not always humane, or inhumane for that matter. Both are human things.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
True on the second part, @zrnzle500, not so much on the first one.

A vassal is what becomes the knight that offers loyalty to the feudal lord, but that's only a contract of loyalty. The contract for becoming a subfeudal lord has a different name, I'm too lazy now to recheck my book, but maybe it was just subfeud or something like that.

By the way, I haven't played Dungeon, so I have no idea, but for fiction you can make up whatever you want, right? The author doesn't need to follow to the point each step of D&D, I mean, it's fantasy after all, most creatures retain some characteristics through all works, like vampires feeding from blood, but most of times they are given a distinct quality.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
By the way, I haven't played Dungeon, so I have no idea, but for fiction you can make up whatever you want, right? The author doesn't need to follow to the point each step of D&D, I mean, it's fantasy after all, most creatures retain some characteristics through all works, like vampires feeding from blood, but most of times they are given a distinct quality.

Dungeon is a boardgame, D&D is the fantasy pen and paper rpg. Authors can make up whatever they want, but the whole point of using common D&D terminology (kobolds, magic spells, character classes, etc.) is to create a familiar setting without having to explain (or invent) each and every detail, So unless the author says otherwise (like kobolds growing to ogre size) I think it is safe to assume the setting is similar to your average D&D fantasy setting. So vampires drinking blood is your average vampire, but vampires draining yous life essence (levels), that is D&D.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I got Dungeon and D&D wrong, sorry bout that. But I don't think that writing with the idea that everybody played and know about it doesn't sound really logical to me. Any watcher can get the hang of it because the setting is widespread, not because everybody played D&D and having the audience expect for it to work like that. In my case, I at least couldn't care less if it doesn't add up to how it is in D&D or mainstream fantasy.

zrnzle500 wrote:

I didn't mean to say you're wrong, I meant to say that vassalage is one thing, the process of dividing the feud in smaller feuds (yet, these latest aren't smaller feuds inside bigger, they're completely different territories) is another, that is a subfeud, and the process was, in fact, subfeuding since I checked. Wikipedia makes it sound easier because you're not reading the entire book, just reading a synthesis of it, but whomever read it knows it was a little more complicated.
The Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm a bit surprised that the subtitles have gone with “undead” as a descriptor of both the King and Mary's returned party members...

Princess_Irene wrote:
Clearly my definition of "lich" got muddled somewhere between my Middle English class in college and my love of Forgotten Realms short stories and I ended up with a weird amalgamation. Embarassed I do still think it likely that the Undead King is a lich, but yeah, not the former party members. Sorry!

From what I saw, the entity is still refereed to as No Life King. I believe Haruhiro described Mary's Dispel spell as something that could break the--small-"u"--undead king's spell...in other words, using the term to confirm that the No Life King is also undead, and not some foolish/arrogant live monarch, who created the curse to recycle his subjects.

What confused me was Mary referring to Haruhiro as as she always has, but seeing "Haru" and not "Hal" in the subtitles. If the convention is Mary using Haru="Hal" and Yume using Haru kun="Haru", consistency should to be maintained.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
They didn't include most of Ranta's story in the mines! I'm so disappointed by that, because it's where he became a great character for me. They did a okay job making him a bit more sympathetic though.

I have to say I really loved this adaptation of the books. They threw out the worst of them, including a shark jumping moment, and wove the rest into gold. The director of this and his team deserve major kudos.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
A shame about the animation quality. In my previous post I didn't get into much detail about what last week's episode's staff overload implies about the state of the production, but in hindsight it's actually pretty amazing that the episode in question didn't look much worse than it did. I guess it was inevitable that some corners would be cut for the finale, from wobbly character and creature models in the beginning to a complete lack of inbetweens in one part of the final battle. Also, Ranta's demon-thing was easily the most annoying thing in the show, from its design and animation to the voice acting. I get that they were probably trying to emphasize that the demon, and therefore Ranta's class identity, couldn't be a substitute for his team, but surely they could have been more subtle about it and avoided adding more irritating elements to an already technically underwhelming scene.

Aside from that the series ended on a strong note, with pay-offs for the character development of at least half of the cast and with the team stronger and more united than ever. I was fully in the "so done with the 'trapped in an RPG' genre" camp at the start of the season, so I didn't expect to enjoy not one but two complete series in said genre, and two with almost diametrically opposed approaches to execution at that. Unlike Konosuba the chances of this one getting a sequel are a bit questionable, but I'm fine with what we got.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this gets a second season. This was way above the usual "Trapped in a fantasy world" crap.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
RIP Haruhiro/Yume, Mary was too strong ;__;

A-At least she's cute too!

But really, I'm glad that I watched this show. I wasn't expecting the emotional depth that it wrought with Manato's death and the group's development because of that. Aside from a few hiccups like Ranta's magic helmet this episode, I really enjoyed it, and I really enjoyed this anime.

I'd be happy to watch a second season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Those pigworms! Wouldn't want one in my back yard, but on screen they were adorable. Were they protecting him or just huddling to his warmth? Clearly it wasn't their normal behavior, or the kobold wouldn't have gotten suspicious.

What was the demon Ranta summoned actually supposed to do, other than insult him and tell him to die?
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good, but I wish the final fight against death spot felt a bit more deserved, it was just too easy. Similarly Ranta just climbing out of the mine after the shaft collapse was just undeserved.

Anyway, great series and while I was more consistently entertained by konosuba this season I'd say this was my favorite anime of the season. Took the trapped in mmo genre and pushed it into an entirely new direction which isn't even really touched on in most anime. Would love for a S2 but somehow I doubt it.

On ranta demon, I think it tells him where his enemy are, so that's probably how he knew to stab the kobold that showed up.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
Lol what a great image for episode 12. Shihoru was a badass in this episode.
I loved this series not really for its setting, which was cliche, but for its growth. Seeing the self-deprecating Haru become a competent leader, the cold Mary become a loving friend, the crude Ranta become a better teammate. Like Rebecca said before, these three received far more characterization that Shihoru, Yume, or Moguzo, but each of those character grew in their own right, from incompetent archer to capable sniper or shy mage to magical badass.
There's something much more satisfying about watching a character grow from weak to strong rather than see them be perpetually strong. It makes them more human somehow. It's hard to put into words.
This series was far from a masterpiece, and at the end of the day is probably only above average, but I loved it. I'm going buy some merchandise in support of a season two. But for now i'm off to the light novel translations.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
So Ranta finally summoned his little pet demon aaand they didn't do anything with it. They also don't seem to have shown what happens to it. More shortcuts taken like the panning while they were climbing and Haruhito was talking. So many shortcuts in this show, sigh. Ha Ranta's magically appearing and disappearing helmet. The final fight was a little anticlimactic for me.

There were some things that the show did better than the novels like toning Ranta down. There were some scenes that were very pretty like last episode with the watercolor style with the trees and leaves. However, there were some things that the novel did much better. For example, the pacing was better and the battles in the mines were more nail biting. I think the last fight with death spots was also much better in the novels.

Overall, the show was ok for me. I don't imagine revisiting it, but if they were to put out a second season I would probably watch it.
TD912

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:17 am Reply with quote
Despite the final episode having some obvious rushed animation issues, I still think the show was pretty good. There were insanely obvious errors like Ranta's helmet magically appearing on his head right after it clearly showed that he lost it. Then a bunch of shortcuts like panning up while they climb the chain rope to escape the dungeon, and the final fight with Haru vs Death Spots wasnt as smooth as it could have been. And all the weird, somewhat off-model faces and stilted movement didn't help any. Still, the overall story generally made up for all of it. The only thing that kinda bugs me is that I haven't read the source material at all, but it would have been nice if they could have explained how Ranta manage to escape.

Hopefully the animation issues will be fixed for the DVD/BD release, as the beginning episodes seemed much better animated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 19