• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XV Gets 5-Episode Anime Prequel, Feature-Length CG Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Alright square-enix, here's how things are supposed to go.

Step 1) You release a game

Step 2) People like it and it's story and ask for more

Step 3) Figure out which other medium would work well to release additional content for the game, keeping in mind which part people are actually interested in

Step 4) Make the additional product

Right now, you haven't even done step 1, so you can't really figure out step 2 and your flat out skipping step 3...

Remember last time you though people were gonna be so in love with a final fantasy that you could start milking it even before it release? That was FF13, here's how it went you announced 3 game, one hasn't come out yet (almost a freaking decade ago) another one came out and was the worst received of the mainline FF (And it came out along with a LN that was necessary to understand anything, which most people didn't read since they only cared about the game) and the third one went trough a tons of transformation and eventually release just to be greeted by a giant 'meh'.

SE, you suck at handling multiple stuff at the same time, just go back to the simple formula, one game at a time.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
*sees Sean Bean*

Well, we all know whats going to happen to Regis now.

Jesse and Cersei. Sweet.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I really should've seen this coming.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
What studio for the anime? I feel bad for this game though. 10 years of work, and so far they've said it will run at a low 30 fps with some drops that they're "Still trying to iron out".
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow 30 fps for something that looks this nice damn what waste figures with how much money they are throwing at the the English VAs and extra stuff
Ghosting

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
*sees Sean Bean*

Well, we all know whats going to happen to Regis now.

lmao. Sean Bean should just walk around wearing a t-shirt with "SPOILERS" written on it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Square Enix is really REALLY banking a lot on 15. It's pretty crazy; I don't recall 13 getting a similar push. Shocked
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Step 3) Figure out which other medium would work well to release additional content for the game, keeping in mind which part people are actually interested in

Right now, you haven't even done step 1, so you can't really figure out step 2 and your flat out skipping step 3...

Tell that to "Mighty No. 9."
GEO9875

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
they arent dubbing the anime? seriously? Confused
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Yes that's what you do if you are playing safe. However if you really want to pump a title and create a franchise then you hit as many different mediums at once as you can afford. I applaud Square-enix for putting their money where their mouth is.

Sure it might not pay off but there is nothing wrong with taking a risk. and considering the normally risk adverse nature of Japanese companies then I wish SE luck.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
GEO9875 wrote:
they arent dubbing the anime? seriously? Confused

Might be a delayed release, I hope they are, seems EXTREMELY silly to promote the game in the west with the English VA's nearly exclusively then go and say "Here's a 5 ep prequal anime that shows how the group got together so go watch it to learn the important backstory!" and then release it sub only....

The CE of the games includes the anime on bluray so hopefully it gets dubbed by then.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

Yes that's what you do if you are playing safe. However if you really want to pump a title and create a franchise then you hit as many different mediums at once as you can afford. I applaud Square-enix for putting their money where their mouth is.

Sure it might not pay off but there is nothing wrong with taking a risk. and considering the normally risk adverse nature of Japanese companies then I wish SE luck.

Not only that, but FF, whether the game sucks or not, still makes plenty of money for SE regardless.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
The anime should be ok, well it's another case of a game that's complete garbage especially the battle system getting a potentially decent anime.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Normally I'm happy about anime adaptations and such. But can't get actually get the game first? Final Fantasy has had a problem with animation ever since they decided everyone should be able to jump into the stratosphere in Advent Children. The animation seems to be looking good in still shots, but not well enough except for over-the-top action.

I am skeptical.

And if they wanted to give us an anime preview, what was wrong with scheduling it as a teaser for the several years prior to this game coming out? Eeeeh, hard to get any hype. They've botched -something- about nearly every major title since FF8, with the exception maybe of 9. Even if I like some of them.

I also don't think FF XV is worthy of the mantle of "Risk Taking" when they've been sitting on the title for years. We'll see probably 2 Elder Scrolls main titles before an FF XVI.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I see the characters, 4 bishounen, and am a bit sad about where the franchise has fallen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3