• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
Lost Village, wth is up with that shit?
It's trying to be creepy and funny and mysterious all at the same time.
Rensie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
The 10 minutes lenght of Luluco are much better than the 3 minutes shorts, at least you don't have this feeling of fragmentation and inconsistence. Smile
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
Lost Village was interesting. I hope it ends up continuing more in the style, tone, and mood we have in this episode, rather than this being an introductory piece that we'll never really return to. The weird moments of singing the hippopotamus song, holding the explosive basketball, the animation from a first person perspective of the MC climbing onto a wall, the driver going on a rant mocking these guys who have clearly essentially joined some kind of cult, etc. were to me what really made this captivating. it's all almost comically surreal and metaphorical, and if we stretch that out into a full TV anime it could be something I can really get behind.

However, I'm a little worried that this will all fall to the wayside and it will kind of turn into some run-of-the-mill survival game thing.

And, to put it succinctly, I hope that in terms of how it handles the character drama, interactions, and whatever strange-goings-on that will inevitably ensue that it's more of a Bokurano than a Dangan Ronpa, and I can see it falling either way.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
Lost Village hasn't pushed me in either side as of yet. It definitely was silly in that "what is this nonsense" way some of the time but I can't say I'm not curious. Still all I have to go on is said gut curiosity. I don't think it'll be anything special and any chance of this being that brain food that balances out all the "Fun" stuff I'll be watching this season (Whether bones lets me down or not with My hero academia, that show is a guaranteed watch for me.) is basically tossed out of the window since nothing intriguing has really happened. It's going to depend on what happens in the next week or two, as well as how the other shows shape up, for me to have a real grasp on whether I'll bother with this or not.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
I am totally biased I heard the premise of lost village and REALLY loved the premise.
So the good things, A) it's well directed, has decent animation, and good character designs.
B)For as much as the bloated cast may cause problems later on, currently I actually kept everyone straight who actually had a line besides standing up and saying hi my name is___ and I ____ apart Really easily, maybe they learned from danagan ronpa

And now the bad...yay someone put the driver on some meds already because he hit his point way to quickly...also I am sorry but pitch perfect is the only time puck is funny.
I can get lion hating on everyone, but that combined with seeing a crow for a half second does not magically produce a good enough reason to shoe horn in cannibalism into a conversation. Also why is no one rejecting the tour head making up games about naming off torture devices singing songs about animals dying horribly, and having people read their suicide notes. To be fair though that could just be something they haven't hit on yet.

The mysteries of lost village A) what are the reasons these people want to start over?
B)why exactly do the police and other people not know where this place is and why does the college student know?
C) Why has everyone decided to go by their online usernames?
D)Why is everyone on the bus agreeing it would be best for everyone to think they are dead?
E) Who are the IGS, and why are they lying to people they are working with?

At worst I can see lost village basically becoming like another. However unlike another lost village at least shows that it can in fact introduce it's canon fodder can take it's foot off the horror button for a minute and actually let it's characters have a conversation! So it would have to do some repeatedly do some insanely idiotic and offense trash in order to be as bad as another.

So basically the bar is set really low for me for lost village, but given the writer I think It might be a good idea for me to keep it there after watching season 1 of wixoss.
-Ana-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
Mayoiga already spoiled what's going to happen in the key visuals spoiler[all expect the two main characters who were introduced last die]. Of course if the key visuals weren't lying.
tsvkkis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote
Was really looking forwards to Lost Village, but if it continues like how the first episode played out, it's a definite pass for me. :/
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:32 am Reply with quote
Lost Village was so actively bad it killed my buzz. Apparently greater levels of sobriety than I am willing to dedicate to this hot penguin bomb are required in order for one's head to avoid exploding under the weight of All. The. Ominousnessnessfullness. Cannibalism anvils are heavy, guys, you ought not to be chucking them around with such free abandon. Sheesh.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:32 am Reply with quote
I dunno, if we get a reviewer who's in for a good roasting, Lost Village might be a fun trip of sheer WTF-ery. Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:08 am Reply with quote
A great start for this season with the sequels, definitely a step up compared to how the last one started with StoPri (which was okayish) and Haruchika (which was a yawn). Hopefully the rest of the premieres will keep the high bar (in general. I don't have a single hope for Netoge or Hundred, except for the inevitable funny reviews from Jake and Zac)

JoJo Diamond is Unbreakable: The best premiere episode so far. I loved the color scheme and the simple humor. Josuke has a unique personality for a JoJo and I loved Jotaro's casual posing all through their conversation. I worry that the hair gimmick might get tiresome along the way, but they implemented it hilariously in this first episode. I'm definitely excited for more. I also love that Josuke's mom is cool and baddass, I was really disappointed in Stardust Crusaders by how poorly Holly was treated

UshiTora 2: The pacing was too fast, I hope they slow down a little. The scene with Asako was very beautifully done (the sakura trees looked incredible) and I love the budding romance between those two, but it would've been more effective if they had timed it better, instead of rushing into the amnesia plot. The new opening is a serious downgrade from S1. I wish they'd reused the previous one and just changed the animation.

Mayoiga: The episode ended and I was left with a "what on Earth did I just watch" feeling. I don't know, everything felt really forced and artificial. It's like they filled a bus with Chuuni people (some of those internet names were genuinely cringe-worthy). Like Jake, I was completely thrown off by the crazy suicidal bus driver sequence that ended in vomit. I'll probably drop it when all is said and done, it just seemed so tryhard. I think Zac said it best, rather than aim for "best thriller" it seems to be going for "Most thriller". I didn't have high expectations going in, but I certainly didn't expect it to feel like the fastest trainwreck of the season
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:51 am Reply with quote
I'll keep my judgement of Mayoiga after I've watched a few more episodes.
Another had a veeeeeeerrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy slow start but I can say it was one of the most entertaining thrillers/mysteries I've seen.
They should've cut at least 10 characters though. Or just not introduce EVERYONE of them in the first episode.
JoeQ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
JoJo was great as expected. Pretty squicky too, Josuke sure doesn't hold back with his powers. Also a minor complaint: Shining Diamond? C'mon CR.
Larkan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote
Is the Terra Formars a second season or a remake?

I think its impossible for shows like this(that have foreigners in it )not to be racist if they focus on the nationality part of the character instead of how one person is or how their personality works.

Its not only exclusive to Terra Formars , I have seen it in many other series and of course its impossible for you to portrait a character based on his nationality(and not rely on stereotypes) because nationality doesn't affect a person attitude or character its the environment and experiences that each person as an individual goes through that makes him or her who he is.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Also why is no one rejecting the tour head making up games about naming off torture devices singing songs about animals dying horribly, and having people read their suicide notes.

Did you mean the hippo song? That was just a Japanese version of Solomon Grundy. Unless there was another dead animal song I forgot. But yeah, happy little trees torture devices and suicide notes did seem kinda bizarre. Gallows humor I guess. I imagine they'll either convince the driver to stay, or he'll be the first course.

I gave up on trying to remember names after the first 3, since I'm hopeless, but other than that, I didn't think the first episode was so terrible. Not great, but as long as it's not a brainless fan service romp, it's tolerable for awhile.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
Phoenix Wright: 2 / 5. I'm a fan of the games, and I also like Danganronpa. I didn't like Danganronpa's anime at all though, and the same I can say about this anime for very similar reasons. First off the typical adaptation problems: The animation is jerky, the direction didn't help to make the trial interesting (in the game you buy it because of technical limitations so its over the topness pops up, but here it's all characters mostly in the same place; the physical comedy and Phoenix walking into the interrogatories and those over the top effects are fun additions, but not enough to make the rest of the shots and development interesting), they cut the story to the bare minimum to fit into an episode the basics without that much fun or flow, the character's personalities and humor are not translated well to the pacing of an anime, etc.

But the biggest problem for both adaptations is: these are games with cases intended to be played and structured as such. This structure of "interrogating, presenting evidence, being in a corner, presenting another evidence" is satisfying in a game because you are resolving it, even when it's easy, and it makes you feel you are the one advancing. With a series, however, you don't have the same expectations, those evidences are not presented as a logical reward for the player's efforts, they are presented as twists, and that makes every development seem stupid and obnoxious, and the whole structure tiresome. I never felt when playing the games they had no personality, but watching this episode I kind of did.
That's why when it comes to adaptations of these games I vastly prefer original cases or completely changing the structure (even with the risk of being made by a mediocre writer) to make it in a way that would be exciting as an anime, instead of just poorly adapting the game and sucking out all the fun. Hell, with Danganronpa is even infuriating because it's perfect to create new scenarios in different places where other people kill other people (and the game developers knew that and they killed a different character in the first case in the demo of the game! That's awesome!). But as it is, these are just boring liveless series, and the only valid reason to exist for me is just watch the first episode, think "that game could be fun" and inmediately play it without watching any other episode.

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 45