• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime from When Maids Ruled the Earth

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
While it's not a maiden-centered show, the "Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu" series has a lot of maids.

Reasons you don't want to exactly mess with Hazuki Sakurazaka (Nogizaka family's top maid) and Nanami Nanashiro (3rd top maid): The former out comes out of nowhere with a chainsaw and the latter does the same with a big hammer.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I never thought I had a particular affinity for maid anime, but I've seen - and enjoyed - every title on this list, so...
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I didn't even need to scroll down to know which title would be first... Smile

It was probably only because slots were already taken, but Emma: A Victorian Romance would have added some much needed realism to the list. At least it's earned itself an honorable mention I should think...
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I never thought I had a particular affinity for maid anime, but I've seen - and enjoyed - every title on this list, so...

Lol, yeah, me too. Though I guess that's just a symptom of watching anime at the time. In 10 years the same thing can be said about super hero movies. If you're watch a lot of movies, chances are you've seen a lot of super heroes.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Yup...own 1-4 on the list, and had a blast years ago with 1-3. As for Mahoromatic having a memorable ending, truer words were rarely spoken! Speaking of Hand Maid May, I just finshed re-watching Hand Maid May with someone who's never seen it. And there's still a warm place from my early otaku days for Steel Angel Kurumi.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
One interesting thing I do remember about Steel Angel Kurumi is that the episodes had an unusual runtime(15 minutes). And that also applied to the sequel as well as both OVAs.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Magikano, but nothing else mentioned. I am more interested in the poll results for "most powerful kid", how is Prince Enma not on there? He'd torch pretty much everyone save for maybe Goku.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
All of my favorites made it on The List, including Magikano... Awesome! Very Happy The disputes between Mahoro and Saori was what made Mahoromatic so comically enjoyable for myself.

Plus, I'm also ecstatic that Nanoha made it in.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Much of [Magikano] is a vehicle for the hyperactive comedy that was so common in shows from the 90s and 00s but has fallen out of favor since.
And to get the most out of that comedy, be sure not to miss the English dub, as it's from a time when English dubs made in Houston actually had some decent scriptwriting in them. As opposed to subtitle script readthroughs with the bare minimum of changes to make the lip flaps line up.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Magikano is a good "lost treasure", but even though there's a maid in it, it's not a "Maid comedy":
Ayumi is as unmaidly as you can get and clearly in charge, and only working as a maid to keep a handle on the situation--The genre's really more of an "Evil harem" comedy about how much of a beating Haruo can take from several girls without catching on why.

It's not in the same league as Hand Maid May or Mahoromatic, which first got a handle on the burgeoning awakening kinks at the beginning of the Otaku Culture era that first spawned a Maid Fetish:
To have a cute live-in submissive and shyly nadeshiko (in a European-manor sort of way) girl who will not only obey all your wishes without complaint and refer to you as Master, but harbor a secret unspoken crush that will let you get the girl as soon as you're ready to face it.
Basically, the next step of the Girl in the Closet comedy, but the girl in the closet didn't have to bring you tea at four o'clock. Which explains why most of the maids at the beginning were robot maids.

(The same complaints that US feminists level at Jeannie calling Maj. Nelson "Master", but FAR from being in the same category.
Calling Jeannie a "submissive-female fantasy" just because of the M-word is like saying that Ataru Moroboshi had "control" over Lum. Laughing )
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I like this list.
I cannot think of anything else that I have seen that should be on it, except maybe Indian Summer. It might be added as number 8, but not as a replacement for anything on the list.

I own all of those shows and, except for He Is My Master, have watched them at least twice. Some I have seen five or more times. Magikano is one of my favorite harem comedies and one of the shows that I have watched at least five times.
I plan to watch He Is My Master again sometime, and would have watched it again already if it had been dubbed.
I also own and have read the manga for Maid Sama, He Is My Master, and Mahoromatic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
For a more unusual maid show, I just remembered Kamen no Maid Guy and that I still need to watch it ^^;
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
For a more unusual maid show, I just remembered Kamen no Maid Guy and that I still need to watch it ^^;

I still need to finish it. Been so long I have forgotten it. Though it was pretty funny.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
does black lagoon count? Roberta sticks in my mind whenever someone mentions maids in anime

and black butler sort of sticks in my mind as well even though there is technically only one maid, but Sebastian ends up doing so many things a maid would normally do that he might as well count heh
Hidders

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The new poll: Which of these characters' love confessions did you find the most heart-pounding?
Doesn't even have Bakuman or Toradora confessions... My favorite is Moritaka Mashiro to Miho Azuki: "Azuki-san. When our manga becomes an anime, Azuki-san will play the role of the heroine! Now that our dreams have come true, please marry me!" Embarassed Anime hyper Kyaa~ Anime catgrin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2