• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Delta Anime's 1st Blu-ray/DVD Listed With English Subtitles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
I'm currently watching Macross Frontier by...uh...not so legal means and judging by the comments of Delta so far I think its safe to say this might become Eureka Seven AO all over again.

What if Harmony Gold sees that Macross has a loyal fandom importing and tries to stop Japan from shipping it to US. Can they do that? These peeps make my blood boil Evil or Very Mad

Well, Harmony Gold is a bit of a pitiful outfit as a business, but if there’s one thing that works well for them it’s their legal people. The amount of hard hitting cease and desist letters those guys have sent over the years are a testament to their tireless work. A long running joke amongst western Macross fans is that if Harmony Gold’s creative department was half as good as their lawyers, Robotech would be the biggest animation product on the market.

They could try to get Amazon Japan to stop shipping overseas (I don’t know how that would work considering it’s an American company but based in Japan). Then again HG is your proverbial bully, hard on the small companies an d projects but would they dare to get in the legal ring with someone a thousand times bigger than they are? We shall see. In any case, there’s also other companies like YesAsia and CD Japan that will sell.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
I don't think this is worth buying, after watching full episode 1, my imoression that it's a desperate grab to try keep franchise alive in market place in Japan that's not in space operas.

spoiler[The full episode mixes in to boy group appeal, singing idol groups, dash of mecha combat that's so over the top, stab at nostalgia, invasion by human hybrids with weird shaped antennas that glow in their hair/heads. Singing that saves the day. I'm sorry that's a bad profile for the show. It's Macross 7 Next Generation built on the bones of Macross Frontier. Sadly for me, I'm told alot younger viewers levitate to Macross 7 for some reason. The missing part that wasn't include in the episode was homage to original Macross TV's first episode, with boy saves girl in salvaged Valkyrie and gets shot down. For you old school Robotech fan's it end of "Booby Trap".

Not makings of a great show, it';s compromise with no real / realistic direction. ]
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:04 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately... there is no Anime worth $22 an episode... even if its a Macross title.

@Wrangler.. I thought this as well.. the Preview left a bad impression on me... then I watched the 1st episode. While my initial concerns are still there I am at least willing to give this a shot.

As for blind buys? This is how it was done back in the day... then along came Fansubs.. then Streaming companies.. I 2nd the mentality of watch first then decide.. regardless of how you do it.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I don't think this is worth buying, after watching full episode 1, my imoression that it's a desperate grab to try keep franchise alive in market place in Japan that's not in space operas.

[cut]

Not makings of a great show, it';s compromise with no real / realistic direction. [/spoiler]

I don't know if I would call it a desperate attempt at anything. It's clear though that Delta chases the otaku akb48 crowd more than any other installment of the franchise.
Macross 7 already ran off the deep end more than 2 decades ago, Delta just updates the Bassara & Mylene rock band singing to a new generation that prefers j-pop instead of j-rock. Macross is a space opera, it's just a wacky race type space opera. With singing whales, space vampires, alien races galore, musical tatical fighters (Macross 7 invented it not Delta) etc... At this point if you hate or are disillusioned by Delta you should have been disillusioned years ago.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Are the two of you really young? If so, you probably have no idea how good you have it lol. Just 7-8 years ago buying blind was the only option legal option that existed.

I'm not, I'm 29. Only got into anime in 2012.

Also, what does "having it good" have to do with this franchise? As far as I can tell, access to it has been horrible to non-existent.

But, in general? I fully understand that the situation with anime right now is great. I never experienced having to buy anime I've never seen because that is the only way I could see it, or hope that it is picked up by a TV station. Still, being in Australia, I'm not able to stream as much as an American can.

I want to see Brighter Than The Dawning Blue...but we don't have it legally streaming. And Hulu is only for those in the US. Still, I'll be buying that one because of what I've read online about it.

Last year I imported Sentai's release of Kurenai based off the recommendation of someone on these forums, hunted down and bought the Garden of Sinners set, and at the start of this year I bought all 3 season of Full Metal Panic. All were blind buys, and I was happy with each purchase.

So, while it is rare, there are still shows I don't have access to via streaming that have been blind buys.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Giri giri eye, ikenai borderline..

GODDAMN THIS SONG! IT WON'T STOP PLAYING IN MY HEAD!!!!!!!!

Ah you too Laughing As for myself I can't wait for episode 2 Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2