• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Skip Beat's English Dub Kickstarter Campaign Casts Vic Mignogna as Yukihito Yashiro

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Wow. Makes you wonder how he ever gets along with J. Michael Tatum (who is gay)..

Actually from what I've seen, he and Tatum get along just fine. Vic has openly stated he doesn't hate homosexuals, so a lot of these nasty rumors of him are completely untrue.

A lot of people aren't clear on what the definition of a "homophobe" is. Outright hating gay people just because they're gay makes you a homophobe. Disagreeing with their lifestyle, but still treating them with kindness and respect, does not.

I never said he disliked Tatum (even though he does in FMA because he murdered Brina Palencia and Caitlin Glass' parents), in fact quite the opposite. Funimation's actors are a very tight community; I doubt they hold many grudges against each other, even Scott Freeman. It's just that refusing to sign autographs just because they feature Ed making out with Tamaki is a homophobic move, even if Vic isn't homophobic himself. Personally, if I was going to sign such an autograph, I would chuckle silently (knowing how fans conceive the darnedest things) and sign it anyway.
maybe he thought it was strange that he was essentially kissing himself in the fan art lol. That's the first thing I thought of when you said that. But if he said no because it's a gay fan art then maybe. but the again, he is an actor. maybe he doesn't like characters he plays to be portrayed any other way than what he imagined it. That is a childish view but it happens.

Last edited by #854556 on Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Nah, I'm not talking about Vic's view on yaoi or his Christian values. I'm talking about his very public outburst at Cheesecake Factory, which is right across the street from SakuraCon, where he, on his cellphone, went on an ugly, and very loud tirade for a solid ten minutes. Phrases that I overheard included some swear words, and threatening whomever was on the other line. This, you know, happening during the lunch crowd on Easter Weekend with many youngsters present.

I support projects of people who, in the past, can behave in public and treat others as they wish to be treated. That's why I'm supporting Izumi Matsumoto's Kimagure Orange Road project. He's a great guy that I've met several times now. But someone who has a very public outburst at a busy restaurant in front of young children? Nope. If you're going to go on a tirade on your cellphone, do it outside.
I assume you don't watch any Christian Bale movies then right?
azhanei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Nah, I'm not talking about Vic's view on yaoi or his Christian values. I'm talking about his very public outburst at Cheesecake Factory, which is right across the street from SakuraCon, where he, on his cellphone, went on an ugly, and very loud tirade for a solid ten minutes. Phrases that I overheard included some swear words, and threatening whomever was on the other line. This, you know, happening during the lunch crowd on Easter Weekend with many youngsters present.

I support projects of people who, in the past, can behave in public and treat others as they wish to be treated. That's why I'm supporting Izumi Matsumoto's Kimagure Orange Road project. He's a great guy that I've met several times now. But someone who has a very public outburst at a busy restaurant in front of young children? Nope. If you're going to go on a tirade on your cellphone, do it outside.

So I understand this, you're judging someone to be so heinous that a project he's working on can't be supported based on one bad incident. During his personal time. When you have no idea what the call was actually about. I'm not sure that falls under treating others they way you wish to be treated. It's also a large assumption, because it hasn't been witnessed or spoken about, that Matsumoto has never handled something poorly in public.

Humans are flawed, and very, very few of us can look back and not see times when we handled a situation poorly, when we let our tempers get the better of us. That's life. And those few who believe they never treated someone or a situation poorly are lying to themselves.

I also would've hoped that restaurant staff would've done what they're supposed to do and ask him to step outside. Whatever was happening had pushed his button that takes him beyond normal logic and reason. At that point, it was their responsibility to manage the situation.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Vic Mignogna? That was unexpected. I think he's the most high-profile voice actor for this project so far. Neat that they were able to get him.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
[Vic has a very hard backlash to him, because his baptist faith is very important to him and as a result he is openly against gay marriage and refuses to sign slash yaoi items of characters he voice acts.

I personally see nothing wrong with refusing to autograph certain things that you might be morally against. He's not contractually required to sign everything, after all. I also don't hold against anyone for opposing same-sex marriage, even though I support it, because it shouldn't affect anything about them that does not relate to same-sex marriage (unless that person has a job whose views affect their performance, which Mignogna's does not).

Cutiebunny wrote:

Maybe it's because I spend a lot of time in Hollywood, but it's pretty par for the course for me.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I am judging people based on my personal interactions with them, not what I've read, seen on YouTube or some other garbage video that some of you feel is a substitute for actually meeting him. When adults throw temper tantrums in a busy public place in front of young children, I get upset. I would expect others to be upset with me if I did the same thing. At what point does personal responsibility over one's behavior come into play? I certainly don't expect others to ensure that Vic, or anyone else for that matter, behave in public.

I've met Matsumoto a total of three times. At no point did he ever misbehave. On the contrary, despite his ill health, he was always very generous. Obviously, I don't expect anyone to take my word for it. But, for me, even though I'm not an insane KOR fan, I'll support his work because I admire the lengths I have seen him go for fans.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
To get back on topic, $20,000 left for Skip Beat! But if we are gonna do the off-topic thing, then $10,000 for the next KOR omnibus.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Heh, so I would advise you to never visit Hollywood then. To clarify, I've seen many outbursts like these in public areas over there because it's a city full of alpha personalities, and they don't care who's there. I kind of accept it as a common thing among people who work in showbiz (the squeaky wheel gets the grease), and I am impressed it happens very rarely in anime voice acting.

Vic could've been drunk at the time, I don't know. I do know that drunkenness can cause that kind of aggression, which was discovered to be the source of the parental rage and fights that frequently broke out at Chuck E. Cheese's (considering it went away completely when the company stopped selling alcoholic drinks at its locations).
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
@Cutiebunny: So, let me get this straight:

You are completely dropping your entire pledge for the project just because an actor you don't like is in it? That seems very unfair and disrespectful to Ann, Cristina, Mela, and all the other people who are working hard and doing their best to make the project a success. By pulling your funding, you're hurting them much more than you're affecting Vic. His character isn't even that large of a role from what I understand, and he's only acting in it, not taking a major part in its production or anything.

It just seems like an incredibly petty thing to do, if you ask me. If this dub doesn't get funded because of the actions of people such as you, I know that a lot of other fans - who actually are donating for the sake of the show and the dub itself - are going to be very upset. Myself included. Confused
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
I think he's a good choice. His Tamaki is pretty close to Masahito Kawanago's version of Yashiro.

and its cause of that is probably why they have him as yashiro. at least they have him voice a character that fits him to a tee unlike having him cast as folkner for escaflone (should have had him as alan in my opinion).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
gabuhaha wrote:
I think he's a good choice. His Tamaki is pretty close to Masahito Kawanago's version of Yashiro.

and its cause of that is probably why they have him as yashiro. at least they have him voice a character that fits him to a tee unlike having him cast as folkner for escaflone (should have had him as alan in my opinion).

I agree he would be great as Allen, but I believe he might surprise us as Folken.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Alright guys, let's drop the argument about Vic Mignogna's upstanding moral character or lack thereof. It's off-topic and frankly silly.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
A little over $15,000 left for Skip Beat, and $2,000 to unlock the next voice actor. And six days to go.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. Ol' Vic actually managed to land himself two Kickstarter roles in a month span.

I met the man personally just a few weeks ago at my local con. He seemed perfectly normal, at least as far as actors can be. It is pretty obvious he is confident in his looks, acting abilities, and intelligent enough to know exactly what to say to his fans. Particularly girls, and that is also okay. It is his bread and butter, after all, and I think the trick to his success; just look at the characters he typically plays. My own personal experience around actors and entertainers is that they have a massive presence, or cliche-sounding 'persona', to maintain in order to stay relevant. Whatever you might think you know about them as a fan is purely subjective, and often deliberately cultivated. Setting context of their public phone calls aside, it just shows some of the cracks in that image they project. If you don't like seeing that, by all means withdraw your support, but just remember: It was a slip in his performance and I doubt any of us have any real idea what Vic Mignogna is actually like.

And also, as they say in show business, if you can't be famous--be infamous. Around the internet, that is like throwing water on a grease fire.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Only less than $15,000 to go before we're at the end. Plus, Richard Epcar will be acting as Lory Takarada.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3