• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MyAnimeList Adds More Anime From Hulu, Crunchyroll

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Cool!
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like DeNa buying MAL was a good thing after all Smile
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Its all nice and good but the whole region shizzle sux because you cant watch atleast half of thoose animes there.....
fencer_x

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
And those of us located INSIDE Japan continue to have to pirate if we want to see things subtitled...

Not that even being totally fluent would make a difference, given the lack of streaming options.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
It is nice that more is being added. Yet, despite all the progress of streaming and simulcasts, there's the bigger picture: streaming to nearly every country (Netflix is kind of doing that) outside Japan uncensored episodes.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
And those of us located INSIDE Japan continue to have to pirate if we want to see things subtitled...

Not that even being totally fluent would make a difference, given the lack of streaming options.

piracy is the best for everyone because you are able to watch all the animes you want while the streaming sites block them due region shits...if they didn't had this region blocks iam sure allot more people would go and buy subscription because it simply doesnt make sense to pay so that you can maybe watch 3 animes out of 15 that are streamin or so....
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Neat! I hope this makes it easier for a number of people to find shows legally. The userbase at MAL is still largely dependent on pirating, and a lot of them don't even realize that they are doing it, so this could be pretty great. Smile

fencer_x wrote:

You could use a VPN.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Might have to change the site name to WatchList rather than keep the List since more watachable anime are coming.
dago2682

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

You could use a VPN.

Even if you use a VPN you are still pirating that content as the site does not have the rights for your region.
Pesky.Soda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
dago2682 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

You could use a VPN.

Even if you use a VPN you are still pirating that content as the site does not have the rights for your region.

And some sites (Netflix, etc) are trying to crackdown on VPN addresses as well because of the rights issues.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
Personally speaking, I'd rather MyAnimeList to remain a non-biased resource for the personal tracking of anime viewing. That's all that it needs to be. If I'm not mistaken, they're removing the fansub lists for certain shows that they have the rights to. Argue the morality and legality all you want, but compromising the comprehensiveness of a list site for the features of a video site (which we already have a ton of) is something that I'm not a fan of.

Also, it's nice to feel included! (^o^)

relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
dago2682 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

You could use a VPN.

If you're a paying subscriber, you are still supporting that content at the same level as any other paying subscriber. That should be your ultimate goal, after all. Whether or not it's "technically" pirating isn't important.
willydingo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:17 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Argue the morality and legality all you want, but compromising the comprehensiveness of a list site..

legal issues are not a joke. myanimelist is so popular now, it doesn't need to keep doing any illegal stuff.
partnering with streaming sites is just another step to stay on top of the mountain.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:

There's actually a good number of options.
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/680870576496447491
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:31 am Reply with quote
willydingo wrote:
legal issues are not a joke. myanimelist is so popular now, it doesn't need to keep doing any illegal stuff.

Listing fansub groups is not illegal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2