• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KBS Kyoto Station Also Preempts Higurashi Kai

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote
Possible discomfort in the audience?

Do they even KNOW what they're showing?!
psygremlin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote
This sounds like a typical knee-jerk reaction to me, especially when you take into account that any axe-play that does appear in Higurashi was in the first season anyway.

True, I'm probably discounting the sensibilities of the Japanese viewing public (who might be doing this out of respect for the dead) but then shouldn't any show depicting violence be pulled? What about all the sword- and gun-wielding anime characters out there? To pull two shows because of the actions of one deranged individual (who might have very good reasons for offing her dad) is something I'd expect from the US, not Japan.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
Well aint THIS the cherry of today's crap sandwitch. What's next? Bleach has swords, so first nut that kills someone with one, and we can kiss seeing the Hueco Mondo arc goodbye....?
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote
But no one ever dies in Bleach
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
biolizard_alpha wrote:
But no one ever dies in Bleach

Just like Kenny always comes back to life on South Park, but that one kid still hung himself didn't he?
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:58 am Reply with quote
what means preempt? Im studying english out of the streets so I know "cancel" "pull the plug" and "stupid censors" but I dont know what preempted means...
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:38 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Possible discomfort in the audience?

Do they even KNOW what they're showing?!

EXACTLY! That was my first thought after reading this news Anime hyper Higurashi is meant to be disturbing. I'd be worried if someone DIDN'T experience discomfort while watching Higurashi.

Preempt is to displace, or take the place of. So, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai is displaced for a while, I guess. But it's not totally canceled and done. (I think.)

I'm pretty sure Higurashi's demographic is not anyone who would be terribly offended if it had similar events to the axe murder... But I guess I get where KBS is coming from, as well.
Loganno1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
this sux higurashi and school days both not on, just as everything interesting is happening.

well lets hope that no one drowns in a pool otherwise they will stop Umishou
poehitman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Man, I thought it was just us in the US who was populated by a bunch of whiny puss!es. Now I see the epidemic of wussiness has spread to Japan. Seriously, if watching School Days or Higurashi offends you that much, it's the LEAST of your problems.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Man, what over-reactionary bulls***. It's a work of fiction for Oyashiro-sama's sake....and animated as well. I'd laugh, but I'm too busy being annoyed since it was getting really really good. Evil or Very Mad
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I guess my question, to where all the spine went, had been answered.

It's at the TV stations. Razz

A knee-jerk reaction, yes. But the line's drawn where there's murder.
WorldofElegance

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
what means preempt? Im studying english out of the streets so I know "cancel" "pull the plug" and "stupid censors" but I don't know what preempted means..

Pre-empt simply means delayed or airing at a later time.

First off, I would like to say that I am sad for the family, and that they must be going through a tough time and they have my condolences. Something that terrible really doesn't happen that often in Japan, and I'm sure it's a lot harder to deal with in their culture than it is here in America where people are murdered just about every day.

Second: I understand preempting Higurashi and School Days out of respect to the public, but I hope they don't cancel them. Respect is one thing, censorship is another. I hope that the TV stations let the situation cool and then air the episodes when the atmosphere is better.

I guess I just understand both ends of the spectrum...I understand that the fans are upset by the delays, especially seeing that it was the finale of School Days that was preempted. It always sucks to have to wait for an ending. I am a downloading anime fan myself, and while I agree that I'm sad that I'll have to wait a while for my next dose of Higurashi, I am patient and understanding. These are difficult times for the Japanese people and I am willing to wait so people can mourn in peace. Entertainment does not dictate our lives, nor should it make us nonchalant about the loss of life. Life is about more than watching anime and being inconvenienced when we can't. It's about living to the fullest every day, and being understanding when people die because nobody knows when their own time will be up.
Za_randomness

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote
Anyone know when this show's getting back on the road?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
When all axes and other sharp objects are replaced with walkie Talkies and fluffy teddy bears?

Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1