• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
We actually know of the existence of some ranking list of heroes way before the latest chapter. It's more of a background/world detail though and really only relevant to the motivation of a specific character, which we likely won't reach with this season.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the manga, I am so delighted with this adaptation. You can really that Bones care about the series. Honestly, the biggest standout is the soundtrack by Yuuki Hayashi. It is absolutely outstanding, and the music is always well placed, and definitely drives home the emotion even further. The whole production in general is quite beautiful if you ask me, and I really hope Bones continue this quality with the next 11 episodes. In my opinion, it's what an anime adaption should be, an improvement of the source material.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I liked it, but nothing special and I definitely think they should have combined both episode, but still fun time, I'll probably stick with it trough the end because it plays so safe so I doubt anything will make me strongly dislike it.

I guess my biggest problem is the main character, never liked his kind. Would have liked it so much more if after being told he couldn't be a super hero he started training like crazy and became a powerless super hero. Instead he essentially does the opposite, he just mope around and wait for the world to make a decision for him, in this case I'm guessing the world (i.e. author) will give him special special power. Then it'll try to have some message about never giving up. Can't have kid being introduce to the concept of failure and adversity, much better to teach them that miracle will always come to save there bacon.

Similarly when he jump into the fight I couldn't think anything but "what an idiot...". There's a reason why, when there's a fire or something, the cop and fireman stop people from walking in the emergency situation. It just transform a situation where you have to save X number of people into one where they have to save X+1 number of people. This is exactly what happen and ultimately him stepping in didn't help in anyway, no matter how much the show insist it did (kinda like the bike guy in one punch man).
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I liked it, but nothing special and I definitely think they should have combined both episode, but still fun time, I'll probably stick with it trough the end because it plays so safe so I doubt anything will make me strongly dislike it.

I guess my biggest problem is the main character, never liked his kind. Would have liked it so much more if after being told he couldn't be a super hero he started training like crazy and became a powerless super hero. Instead he essentially does the opposite, he just mope around and wait for the world to make a decision for him, in this case I'm guessing the world (i.e. author) will give him special special power. Then it'll try to have some message about never giving up. Can't have kid being introduce to the concept of failure and adversity, much better to teach them that miracle will always come to save there bacon.

Similarly when he jump into the fight I couldn't think anything but "what an idiot...". There's a reason why, when there's a fire or something, the cop and fireman stop people from walking in the emergency situation. It just transform a situation where you have to save X number of people into one where they have to save X+1 number of people. This is exactly what happen and ultimately him stepping in didn't help in anyway, no matter how much the show insist it did (kinda like the bike guy in one punch man).

Most of the superheroes that don't have powers are rich. What would have Izuku had fought superpowered villains with on a middle-class budget? A slingshot?
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I was lukewarm on the first episode, but I loved the second. I hope the rest of the show is more akin to that, because I was seriously into it. More please.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm a cheapskate, I'm only on Ep1 this week but like what I see. I wonder something though, is it possible that the appearance of Quirks is an alien experiment to see what the human population does with fantastic power and that the "little guy with three stars and black eyes" we see encouraging Deku is one of them? I know nothing of the manga, but could one that does let me know if this is on the mark (with spoiler tags obviously)?
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

What Deku did though is what being hero is all about risking one's life to help another. Every other professional hero out there stood around telling each other "I'm not the right guy for the job I just have to wait for the right hero to get here." all the while Bakugou is fighting for his life. All Might himself was just standing back cursing himself that he was too weak to help. In the end the one to jump into the danger head long wasn't the one with any power but the timid quirkless Deku. Not to prove himself, for glory, or to even be a hero but because he saw a "friend" was in danger. All Might sees in Deku the heart of a real hero. You see a lot of Captain America and Batman in Deku. Much like Captain America before being given the serum that made him into Captain America he was a sickly frail human being with the heart of a hero. That he comes from such humble weak beginnings yet still has such a strong heart means he understands the importance of the power he has been given and how best to use it. Also like Batman he has this unbeatable spirit that no matter how dangerous the situation he will put his like on the line to help those in need. Batman would stand up against gods that dwarf him in power and ability but he will still fight because he must.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I don't think that Deku is "waiting" for someone to make the decision for him, he was waiting for someone to believe him that he could do it. He's been waiting like ten years or more for this, denying over and over that being Quirkless would stop him from becoming a hero, he was determinated from the get go.

There can't be something more heartbreakening for a kid when you tell him to give up on whatever dream he has. But even so Deku overcame that, he kept watching All Might's video countless times, taking notes from heroes, and expecting to enter UA. That's precisely why when All Might tells him "You can be a Hero", in the midst of even his mother not believing he can become a hero and after All Might himself told him the same a little before (in her case she feels as hurt as him because she just can't deal with the unfairness and doesn't find a way to tell her son anything different) he bursts out crying. Giving him a power could be seen as a cop-out, but I recommend keep watching and reconsider.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
All Might sees in Deku the heart of a real hero. You see a lot of Captain America and Batman in Deku.

He may have the heart of a hero, but the main difference between him and say Captain America is the fact that every decision Steve Rogers ever made was made consciously. Deku is doubting himself, when he saw that blonde dude was about to die he reacted subconsciously, without even thinking about how he can endanger people around him, and, of course, the only point of his action was to trigger All Might. Hero is not the one who fearlessly faces danger and kick butts, hero is the one who always think about consequences of his actions.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
GamerTimeUSA wrote:

Also, so far there is no rank system. There is a 10 Top Heroes list though, and we just found that out in the last chapter.

There's everything wrong with fighting manga/anime in one sentence. Well done, saves me the trouble of watching episode 2.The only show that I know of that did it right was Law of Ueki which did a ten level system, threw that one out, did a two level prime system, threw that one out... ultimately used a "either you are or you aren't" system, almost as if DBZ was honest about saiyans..

In other words, power levels are useless. Also, a super power involving turning trash into tress is awesome; Being strong is just... well, strong. "Can you fly as well? Or turn into fire? "No, I just get really strong, and "nigh invulnerable!" "For five minutes?" "No, it's three hours!" "So there's no sort of tension like there is in T and B, huh?"

And don't bring up Zetman; There's the one "hero" guy with super powers and then there's the other guy who's a cross between Batman and Ironman, who's actually interesting.

Because with great power comes great responsibility... why I hate One Punch Man... but with no power comes the reason to stay home in bed unless you're compelled to be something better that what you are. So the best Super Hero movie characters these days are Batman, Iron Man and Captain America. No, that's a coincidence, maybe.

And if you turn out to be a part time Superman.... eh. Wait, why does that sound familiar....
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:42 am Reply with quote
The rankings in MHA are more of a media thing, kind of like Tiger and Bunny. It's not very relevant to the main plot, though getting better rankings might be some character's motivations
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
It isn't really a ranking system in MHA though, it's just a hall of fame type list of noteworthy heroes.
sharkjack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not really surprised by the amount of comparisons to OPM. After all, All Might blows things away with one punch too, and both series look at how heroes would work in society.

Still, the heart of the two series lie in very different places. I originally thought the first chapters were relatively weak, and I wasn't alone in that. I really like the adaptation into the anime in retrospect, but the fact that they've turned the first chapter into two episodes (a long chapter to be sure) means we'll probably not see the best parts of MHA so far. Still, I'll be extremely surprised if they don't give this series a second part, as there is more than enough material (including plenty of places for organic filler that I'd love to see). A single cour doesn't do the series justice.

I also love how All might steals the batman reason and makes it better.

Why? Because I'm All Might(y) is just so much better, and it owns the self congratulatory egotism that comes with that statement 100% (dat smile).

I don't remember All Might staggering in the manga, I guess bones added that. It looked great.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the anime only people react to the coming episodes, because we have barely scraped the surface.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
Batman would stand up against gods that dwarf him in power and ability but he will still fight because he must.

More like because he can. There's also a few story where batman actually face a god and he goes "nope, can't do anything" and he just get superman to actually do the job. There's a reason all might didn't jump in, for all we know at this point going over his limit seriously hurt him and now he's going to be out of commission for awhile. Which means plenty of people he could have saved won't be saved.

Having the "heart of a hero" is pretty useless, all might might tell him he can be a hero, but if doesn't receive power he'd just get to the academy and fail, or worst yet pass and get killed in his first fight against a super villain. Is keeping his dream alive worth dying for?
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Monster Hunter wrote:
All Might sees in Deku the heart of a real hero. You see a lot of Captain America and Batman in Deku.

He may have the heart of a hero, but the main difference between him and say Captain America is the fact that every decision Steve Rogers ever made was made consciously. Deku is doubting himself, when he saw that blonde dude was about to die he reacted subconsciously, without even thinking about how he can endanger people around him, and, of course, the only point of his action was to trigger All Might. Hero is not the one who fearlessly faces danger and kick butts, hero is the one who always think about consequences of his actions.

I take it your only experience with superhero's is Batman, then? Because you clearly know nothing about Captain America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 81