• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which Shonen Jump Series Hooked You?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
It appears I'm unable to answer the question. Reading through the article, I haven't picked up single one of the series mentioned, in either manga or anime form. Though, I have no clue what stuff originates from Shonen Jump (but judging by the article, the answer to that would be "none of the stuff you care about").

What originally got me hooked was Robotech (at the time I weren't aware of a thing called anime) and some of the first things I bought on VHS were Appleseed (the very first one), M-66, Akira, GitS (the very first one) and Patlabor 2. Fansubs would follow only about five years later with my broadband access and discovery of DC++ hubs.
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I fell in love with One Piece when I was still in elementary school and now almost a decade later it is still one of my favorite manga series
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
DBZ, definitely.

Of course, I liked watching Naruto, Kenshin, Bleach, and Yu Yu Hakusho, afterwards, but nothing will top DBZ for me.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Definitely agree with Amy on the premier of Gintama, fantastic opening two episodes. "Why are your eyes red? Did you pull an all-nighter playing Tetris?" Great line I remembered after all these years, really made me laugh, and the bondage jokes and just how laughably inept that one-of character was was fantastic (when he tripped on the bolt on the spaceship and his lightsaber ended up stabbing the baddie in the face or w/e, I lost it). Fun times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xyz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I like City Hunter, Berserk, Bastard, and Hikaru no Go but I don't know which one of those are shonen jump.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't the first Shonen Jump series to hook me, but Gintama is far and away my favorite WSJ title. It's one of my all-time favorite comedies (anime or otherwise), never takes itself itself too seriously, has a great cast, and has effectively parodied everything under the sun. As Amy pointed out, a lot of WSJ series begin life as quirky comedies before transitioning into by-the-books battle manga - and when I first discovered Gintama, I had every expectation that it would do the same. Rarely have I been happier to be wrong.

Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Definitely agree with Amy on the premier of Gintama, fantastic opening two episodes. "Why are your eyes red? Did you pull an all-nighter playing Tetris?" Great line I remembered after all these years, really made me laugh, and the bondage jokes and just how laughably inept that one-of character was was fantastic (when he tripped on the bolt on the spaceship and his lightsaber ended up stabbing the baddie in the face or w/e, I lost it). Fun times.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the premiere is so reviled. I know it's hip to bash stuff that isn't in the manga, but honestly, some of my favorite episodes from the show's initial run were independent of the source material.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure how the French volumes of Shadow Lady ended up on my radar; possibly it was due to the limited selection of the Canadian shop I was ordering from at the time, but whatever the reason, I quickly fell in love with Aimi, Bright, and the rest of the crew.

Sounds like it was Protoculture's online store, protoculture.ca. They used to offer all sorts of French-language manga like Grendizer and Golden Boy, alongside a bunch of specialty anime magazines... including Anime Shower Special, "an entire magazine dedicated to the famous 'shower scenes' in Japanese animation and manga".

I'm pretty sure that company actually got bought by Anime News Network a few years ago, though. Laughing
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
xyz wrote:
I like City Hunter, Berserk, Bastard, and Hikaru no Go but I don't know which one of those are shonen jump.

All of them except Berserk.

A handy list, just in case.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge Naruto fanboy so I guess that's the one that hooked me. Having grown up with epic stories about heroes growing up in magical worlds (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings) I was looking for such fare when I became an otaku. Bleach was actually the first one I got interested in, and I still enjoy it despite a lot of people saying otherwise: animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-11-06/whatever-happened-to-bleach/.95031. I've also read all of One Piece simply because I felt like I had to. It's the most popular manga ever and thus I figured it would be important for me to know the whole thing. Even though One Piece is fantastic I wouldn't call it a favourite of mine, it's not really my thing. Bleach comes close but still not quite. Naruto is spot on, and I love it to bits.

I've found myself disagreeing with a lot of people about Naruto almost on a regular basis as I voice certain opinions that in some circles are unpopular. My favourite character is Sasuke Uchiha, my favourite part of the manga is Shippūden (Part II), my favourite story arc is Five Kage Summit Arc (vol. 49-52), and at no point do I think it stops being good. Things usually went like this:http://oi65.tinypic.com/iylguu.jpg.

Does it have flaws? Sure. Are there bits that I don't like? Certainly. However, Eiichiro Oda (author of One Piece) clearly thinks that Naruto on the whole is a good manga, and knowing that he cares about quality I'm glad I have him on my side. Either way, Naruto is a story that deeply resonates with me, I love the characters, I love the world, it's everything that I like all in one work (with the exception of swordfights, which is where I guess Bleach fills in).

I find all of the Big Three interesting, but Naruto is the one that I became emotionally attached to. As for other Shonen Jump titles I was interested in Toriko for a while, but now that it seems the hype has died down I'm not as enthusiastic. I am going to check out Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan at some point because I love the artwork, and also Medaka Box because it's Nisio Isin. Of course I will also check Dragon Ball because it's essential to manga history at this point.

I should also mention that I've seen every single To Love-Ru anime ever made, and read a bit of the manga. What can I say, I like fanservice Laughing

Last edited by Paul D. Atreides on Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Was about to say Cutie Honey, but that was in Weekly Shoenen Champion. Will add my voice to those saying City Hunter since, although I wouldn't say it's my favourite WSJ title, it is one with a long running anime adaptation that kept me hooked.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
For me, I never really was into any of the big Shonen Jump series. I did see lots of Dragon Ball franchise in my early days of fandom (enough to where I've seen most episodes, but not all), but it was not necessarily ever a favorite of mine as I was becoming hooked through Toonami. I don't tend to stick with anime series that go on for hundreds of episodes in general. I prefer something in manageable chunks that I can enjoy again, and with the ending not unknown years away. It's nice to see Hunter X Hunter as the feature picture, though, as that's one that did stand out to me (going back to the original adaptation, though I've managed to watch all the way through the new series as it aired too). And for some of the same reasons Nick mentioned: the battles are interesting in a number of ways and not about simply overpowering opponents.

I have gotten particularly hooked on a Shonen Jump only just very recently though, that one being Shokugeki no Soma. It's got a wonderful assortment of characters, who all grow over the course of the series in very interesting ways. And the comedy in the series is a lot of fun. It's the only one that's compelled me to start collecting the manga, and I am as equally hooked on it as the anime (which I'm very happy there actually got to be more coming).
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
For me it was Dragon Ball Z, perhaps it seems a bit cliché that it was the one that hooked me but it was the FIRST Anime i ever saw and it was unlike ANYTHING i had ever seen before, It was mesmerising an animated show that had great animation, great characters AND an actual story not just random things happening each episode like most English made cartoon

this may sound dumb but it blew my mind

Nakurawari

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
While Dragon Ball was the first WSJ title that I ever saw, it was Bleach that really struck a cord with me back in the day. While I don't think it's as good as it once was, I'm still not ashamed to say that I really loved Bleach, and still do to an extent. I still hold the Soul Society arc in a very high regard. It had swords, cool looking characters, and very intense fights(which was Bleach's forte). It's weird looking back on my love for Bleach, when today, I am pretty emotionless when reading most new chapters. It's a shame, but sometimes I see it as my fault. I have just grown out of it's appeal in my opinion.

The current one I guess is My Hero Academia. I think it's one of the best WSJ titles to come out in years, and is by far the series I look forward to the most weekly. It has the classic shonen cliches but executes them better than anything I have read in a very long time. I like to view it similarly to Hunter x Hunter, in terms of it's story telling. I'm very happy that Horikoshi finally had a hit, after reading his previous series, Barrage, weekly as well.

I do read quite a lot of WSJ titles(Bleach, My Hero Academia, Sesuji wo Pin! to, Hunter x Hunter, Black Clover, PSI Kusou Saiki and Gintama).

Last edited by Nakurawari on Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't generally read manga, but I did read all of Rurouni Kenshin, so I guess that's the closest I've come to a WSJ hook. Anime-wise, Hunter x Hunter and Hikaru no Go are early favorites and still top ten material.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
DBZ for me. It is what started me on anime in the first place, so it's obviously the one that hooked me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6