• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which Shonen Jump Series Hooked You?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Those answers are desperately trying to avoid saying "Dragon Ball".

Come on. It's Dragon Ball. You know it's what did it. Extra points to the people who caught the original series or even Z in US syndication before it was a blip on Cartoon Network's radar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The first thing I saw from WSJ was obviously Dragon Ball and it was like my 2nd or 3rd anime I've watched in my life. It hooked me because I thought it was amazing, but it wasn't my gateway (that title belongs to Madoka Magica). Shows like Dragon Ball or Naruto were very entertaining back in the time, but Dragon Ball has become something unbearable with Super and the latter just disappeared from my TV and never realized there was Naruto Shippuden until my brother started watching 5 years ago (and after seeing that episode count...).

Now it's hard for me to get hooked with long running anime. It's almost impossible to start watching One Piece and Gintama wasn't that great when I watched. Fairy Tail, though not from WSJ (I guess), hooked me a lot when I started watching anime, and it was very fun, but I don't think I'll finish it (I haven't even finished the first series).

I'm planning to watch Hunter x Hunter mostly because all the praise around it, and I guess I'll watch the end of Naruto Shippuden if such thing actually happens.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
omg yes, Yu-Gi-Oh! was my OG!!! Naruto was pretty cool, too
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
It's almost like you guys at ANN want me to write yet another rant about the life-changing effect Saint Seiya had on my 12-year-old brain, but instead I"ll talk about Bakuman, which was the first Weekly Shonen Jump manga I got to read every week from start to finish. It was quite a unique experience to get enraptured by a WSJ manga about making WSJ manga, and Tsugumi Ohba's dense, dialogue-heavy writing made each chapter feel substantial and satisfying, unlike the average Bleach chapter that takes me all of three minutes to read.

Not every arc worked for me (Mashiro drawing in the hospital was painful, as was the whole Tanto debacle and the Shinjitsu Corporation arc that the anime wisely skipped), but I think the series ended on a strong note, and I was impressed that Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata chose to end it on their own terms instead of keeping it going indefinitely until its popularity starts to wane, which is what usually happens to WSJ's hit series. They left me wanting more, and that's not a bad thing.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
xyz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
xyz wrote:
I like City Hunter, Berserk, Bastard, and Hikaru no Go but I don't know which one of those are shonen jump.

All of them except Berserk.

A handy list, just in case.

Thanks, mate. That's very helpful and it looks like I have nothing else to add from the whole list.
Suhaib Bryim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
i got hooked by Naruto i saw it randomly on TV during the 3rd part of the chunin exam. Good memories Very Happy Very Happy
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I totally can relate to Theron Martin about preferring to watch anime solo and getting uptight and protective when showing something you like to others. Especially now that Hunter x Hunter will be airing this Saturday and my sister will most likely be watching it. That show is like my baby and my favorite shonen (and show in general). I hate it when people don't *get* it like I do and make quick judgements about characters, even though I know that it's their first exposure to them. And when I'm watching with others it feels like I have to keep monitoring my behavior: can't sing along to the op/ed, can't pause when I want to comment on something (I like to collect my thoughts verbally lol), can't squeal over characters or voice acting, etc., of course these are all limits I put on myself but nobody wants to look like a weeb lol.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Like most people, the first WSJ anime I saw was Naruto, way back when it aired on Toonami. That got me into a lot of the other WSJ adaptations that aired then (Bleach, 4kids One Piece, Zach Bell, Bobobo-bobo-bobo) but Naruto was my favorite for a long time because of how cool it was and how much plot there was to get sucked into. I still like it now, although it is more flawed than I thought back then. Now, though, my favorite WSJ anime and favorite anime overall is One Piece. I watched it back when 4kids dubbed it, but then stopped for a while and didn't get back into it until I started watching the Funimation dub. One Piece has a lot of what I liked about Naruto, but the storytelling and character writing is way better and there's so much of it that I can rewatch episodes I've already seen as they get dubbed and still enjoy it. I've seen basically every episode (aside from some parts where I've read the manga for) and I can still binge new episodes when Funimation releases the dubbed sets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Oh, do I have a love relationship with WSJ. When I was a kid there were, easily, three anime for me, Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, and Yu Yu Hakusho. I can say that these shaped me in my love for fighting anime and anime overall.

Where are you from? I just cant think of a place that showed Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, Yu Yu Hakusho BUT no Yugioh??
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
jtron wrote:

You seem to really enjoy comedy manga/anime, I really recommend School Rumble or any of Kohji Kumeta's manga, Katte ni Kaizo really made me laugh a lot.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
While I didn't per se read it, the first Shonen Jump series I knew, and still love, is Captain Tsubasa.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Jump? Yeah, I have some familiarity with titles from that magazine. After all, I wouldn't devote two whole months of writing to detailing it's entire history (1968-now) by writing a bit about every single notable manga the magazine ever had... But I digress.

Overall, the variety of selection from each of the writers was cool to see, & major props to Theron for choosing Bastard!! (which, sadly, we'll never see more of over here...). As for me, I know that I saw one episode of Dragon Ball back during its old syndicated days, but I'm sure the first anime based on a Jump series I really got into was Rurouni Kenshin via Toonami. I was into Yu-Gi-Oh! until the Virtual World filler arc during its original TV run, & I liked what I saw of Shaman King, but Kenshin was definitely the first Jump series that hooked me. Along with G Gundam, I'd try to watch every single episode of Kenshin after coming home from school when it was on Toonami, & Richard Cansino's performance as Kenshin will probably be hard-wired into my brain. Yes, I do feel that Mayo Suzukaze does Kenshin better as time has gone on, but there's just something to Cansino's take on Kenshin's super-proper way of speaking that I find endearing.

I'd easily buy a re-release of the Kenshin TV anime to this day (I never bought Media Blasters' release, sadly), but I doubt that will ever happen at this point if it hasn't already; I'll just leave it at, "It's an Aniplex show, after all".
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Mexican television broadcasted lots of anime back when I was a kid, I watched Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, Captain Tsubasa, Dragon Quest Dai no daiboken, Slam dunk, etc
That was in the 90s, sadly somewhere around the start of the new millenium TV Azteca and Televisa stopped broadcasting anime.. But by then I had already got hooked..

I never stopped watching anime, obviously watched pokemon.. but most of the anime I watched was broadcasted in those channels, there was other channel that broadcaste anime: Locomotion (people from latin america will tell you this channel was the best ever) IIRC the only jump property they ever broadcasted was Soul Hunter (Hoshin Engi) But I loved watching Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Saber Marionette, and so many others I probably forgot to write about.

Then in 2002 Yugioh was broadcasted in Nickelodeon, one day I read that there was gonna be this magazine which would include a Blue eyes white dragon card in its first issue, bought it and from then I discovered Naruto, started watching it online, and from there I started reading manga online/watching anime online.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
For me it was Bastard!!, and for most of the same reasons that Theron shared. Except the communal experience for me wasn't watching it in a crowded convention hall, it was watching it in college with my roommates and our friends at our apartment, but we were still every bit as vocally into it as what Theron described, and we re-watched it several times between when we discovered it and when we graduated. It's still to this day a fond shared memory for all of us who are still in touch with each other, and one of the shows that I count as among the most important in shaping my personal anime fandom.

And Penguintruth, I have neither read a single page nor watched a single episode of Dragonball, so your statement does not apply to me. I did have some friends in high school in the mid-90s who were into Dragonball, though, and I remember one of my friends had actually bought one of the Dragonball Z SNES games from a local shop that imported Japanese games, and he had an adapter to make it work on the American SNES. We spent a few hours at one of his birthday parties one year having a big round-robin tournament. That would've been around 1994 or 1995, don't remember exactly when.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Obviously, it was Dragon Ball. it was on every day, and that first 153-episode series is incredibly gripping. Naruto and BLEACH would later have similar effects, but they weren't my gateway titles. I eventually got unhooked from Naruto.

Over those gateway years, there was passing interest in: YuYu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Shaman King, and One Piece.

Non-Jump, but still around the same time and cut from the same cloth, titles: Pokémon, Digimon(technically this is Jump...), Beyblade, Medarot, and Monster Farm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6