• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Being PC on ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:31 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I prefer the system this way. It only messes with someone who is intentionally trying to be obnoxious. The English language is rich and flexible enough that it wouldn't work on someone that really wanted to trade in insults. Fortunately most people have only a small repertoire of words that they use.

Alan's a little less delicate about it than I would be, I think, but this is the gist of it.

To wit since we put the word filters in place (like a year ago, there's fresh outrage occasionally whenever someone discovers them anew) we simply had way, way fewer GG-related arguments around here. It's like the phrase triggers some kind of internet arguing mania in people, like that movie, Zootopia. Everyone goes nuts and starts clawing eachothers' eyes out.

So we filtered it to a dumb funny thing and who cares. Let's move on!
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to let everyone know where I was coming from. I wasn't trying to cause trouble or problems. I just wanted to say my peace about a problem I thought was going on here. For a while,I thought I was banned from here again. I simply thought that someone was throwing his politics into a place where it didn't belong. That's all I was doing. Nothing more than that. The Japanese McDonald's commercial was a very good one and I hope something like that would be done by the company in the U.S. by the same animation studio. Not only would it be attractive to young people but it would also raise morale among the workers there.
I just hope everyone isn't too mad at me for doing this. Again,I wasn't trying to cause problems or being obnoxious. I was just trying to point out that it was in an area where a political discussion seemed unnecessary.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
What I told you in e-mail was to find another set of words to say what you wanted to say.

Take any term, or expression in the English language, and you'll find that there are synonymous ways of saying it. The term you are trying to use is only a few years old, what words would you have used 5 years ago ?

And when I said, "Sorry, can't help you here," it was because you asked me what term you could use. That's akin to asking me to do your homework, and it's the same reply I give to the 3 or 4 kids every week that ask me things like "What was the first anime," "How do you define anime," etc...

Having spoken with you many times, I know you are more than smart enough to figure this out for yourself.

As for ANN being PC. LOL, you certainly don't know me very well, but that's fine. Zac is extremely PC, I am extremely UN-PC. What we agree on is that we don't want people trading insults on ANN, and if that requires PC world filters, then I have to admit that they are for the greater good.

And the word-filters work, most hot-heads that simply want to call people names give up once they run into those filters. Kinda pathetic to be honest, the best insults are the ones that don't involve any remotely offensive words. (Note: We'll still moderate you anytime you insult someone, even if you use "polite" words).

Essentially, if you want to criticize someone who won't get off their soapbox and is always advocating for civil rights ad naseum, then try doing it without calling them a SociaI Justice Warrior.

(now how did I do that???)
-t

PS: I'm a hypocrite. If you evade the word censors, I will ban you.
PPS: Soapboxing is against the rules here, and if someone is constantly soapboxing on civil rights issues, and derailing threads with them, we will tell them to stop, and ban or moderate them if they don't.... provided their behaviour is brought to the mods' attention with post reports.
PPPS: Don't PM me or e-mail me about any of this.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
Neutral Thanks,Tempest for your response. Here's mine. The reason I wanted to use that phrase was because that was precisely what I thought Harima was being. I thought that what he or she was doing had little to do with what was being discussed and more about his own political beliefs,which struck me as being the same league as Vladimir Lenin and Bernie Sanders.
I didn't think that the keyboard warrior thing was any kind of slur,racial,gender,or otherwise. I was just stating my opinion and that was it. I don't think it's any kind of slur as far as I know. As for the e-mail,I wanted to know what phrase you'd use instead. I just wanted some help in that department. Thanks for your compliments of my intelligence. I think you're in my range of intelligence but I hope I'm not being insulting. Again,thanks for the response to my post. I appreciate it,Tempest.

P.S.:Although I read in your response that you used the same phrase I wanted to use,are you going to be like Steve Urkel and say "Did I do that?" And just to be clear,I was doing a joke,not an insult. I hope that I'm not going to be banned again for another poor attempt at humor.
P.P.S.:I've got a question. How will Harima feel about this post and what will his or her response to this will be?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:03 am Reply with quote
You need to take into account how labels are perceived, as well as whether you think they apply (e.g. if I call someone a bastard because they were literally born out of wedlock, it will probably still cause offence). Besides even if someone is, in my opinion, an imbecile there is no reason for me to say so and every reason not to (i.e. there are black and white rules about it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
P.P.S.:I've got a question. How will Harima feel about this post and what will his or her response to this will be?

This actually has nothing to do with Harima. It's all about your issue with ANN being "PC." Harima probably doesn't know, or give a damn about this thread.

Anyways, I think this conversation is over. We've explained our position, it's not changing, I'd rather not debate / explain this ad-nauseum with no end-game in sight.

-t
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2