• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Why am I not surprised the review panel totally loses all composure at every comedies going for outrageous comedy or visuals? To me, that means the show is actually succeeding in a way. Especially for fans of outlandish comedy. On precisely why these shows go for these things: It is clearly there to catch attention and Japanese humor sensibilities are quite a bit more politically incorrect than some people may be used to. And to me, that is fine. Not all shows aim for high brow sensibilities and it is good that anime can do things that western entertainment options often do not venture. To me, that is a strength of anime.

And Super Lovers is so much more tamer than it is being made out. The characters are properly spending time getting to know eachother and they will even time skip many years until the kid grows into an adult age (in Japan). All this continued outrage over it reeks of fearmongering.

That being said, I actually hope Kuma Miko continues to have its share of outlandish comedy of episode 1 to the more calming, cutesy comedy of 2nd episode.

Haifuri to me is one of the most enjoyable shows so far. Its production values is arguably one of the best, the ship combat is surprisingly realistic and historically accurate and the female cast is adorable and sexy in a the right ways. Great music too. Also the final shot showing the world from a distance was quite a shock. This show might be even more enjoyable than Girls und Panzer for me. The ship combat has a much bigger scale than tanks.
love-sites

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I like Luluco Space Patrol,who is so beautiful I think,and I like the character so much.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Netoge Episode 2 surprises me. Sure, it's a harem scenario with an MMO base. It's something we aren't really unfamiliar with nowadays.

But it has a lot of interplay between the geek/otaku culture and real life that makes it quite interesting to watch. It's pretty socially awkward though not to an extreme level of Watamote or Oregairu. It's a nice social experiment of sorts to witness, though obviously it is cute and funny while it's at it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
At this point comment on ep 2s is probably best directed to either the series thread in the Anime forum or (for those series getting streaming reviews) the response threads for the streaming reviews. The one for Netoge should start later today or tomorrow morning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
timber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:45 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
At this point comment on ep 2s is probably best directed to either the series thread in the Anime forum or (for those series getting streaming reviews) the response threads for the streaming reviews. The one for Netoge should start later today or tomorrow morning.

Still seems to miss Kuromukuro in the list or like MacrosDelta is there no legal streaming for that one ?

After a surprisingly good winter season, back to reality: for now I am only interested in:
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Kuromukuro, Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu and for a few more it's "let's wait how it turns out in the next episodes": Boku no Hero Academia, Flying Witch, Sakamoto desu ga, Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
timber wrote:
Key wrote:

Still seems to miss Kuromukuro in the list or like MacrosDelta is there no legal streaming for that one ?

After a surprisingly good winter season, back to reality: for now I am only interested in:
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Kuromukuro, Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu and for a few more it's "let's wait how it turns out in the next episodes": Boku no Hero Academia, Flying Witch, Sakamoto desu ga, Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge

Kuromukuro is being streamed by Netflix, which means it will not be streamed until after it's finished airing. Therefore no coverage until then.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
What, exactly, that means isn't made clear by the end of the episode; does that mean that he can effectively geas (i.e., compel) people like Lelouche in Code Geass?

Absolute control over everything within his domain is exactly as it sounds.

He tells a car to flip over? It flips over. He tells a bullet to stop? It stops. He tells someone to kill themself? They kill themself.

The only limitation is how intelligent Esuno Sakae makes Eiji at any given point (which aside from the first chapter, is not very).
magvis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
The anime team has done something that happens on occasion. They took what was actually a pretty good manga and totally perverted it. The ending of the first episode took the manga story and made it nearly a horror story. I'm disappointed, intensely, but there's not much to do as a fan. We have no influence on the director of this anime who obviously decided that his version of the story is much better than the mangaka's.

If you haven't read the manga, you might be able to tolerate this. If you have read it, don't bother with the anime.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Jeezy petes they saved the worst for last. I thought that The Lost Village would be the worst of the season. I was wrong. I call no backsies on coverage though. Sorry James it looks like you drew the joker this season. What really put me off was the scene at the end. Domination, particularly male domination, is a turn off for me and I'm glad that at least one reviewer shared my distaste for that scene. I'm still deciding whether to watch it though. OTOH I could witness the worst of the season. OTOH I may have to watch scenes like the last one. I'll give it at least another episode.

I have high standards for what I call bad and this (and likely the Lost Village) meets it. I think calling average things bad weakens its meaning so I save it for occasions like this.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Maybe that's why I had a more positive reaction to Big Order: because I'm not at all familiar with the source manga.

I do agree with Nick that if you've had your fill of violent, nihilistic teen power fantasies then this one will rub you the wrong way, as that's exactly what this is. Even though I wasn't bothered by that and did like it, I can definitely see how it would drive a lot of people away.

EDIT: And I'll reserve my judgment on the scene at the end until I see the result of it, presumably next episode. Frankly, though, I'm not going to be bothered much by whatever does happen to her given that she did deliberately spoiler[stab and critically injure an innocent girl just for sake of using her as bait in her revenge scheme].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

EDIT: And I'll reserve my judgment on the scene at the end until I see the result of it, presumably next episode. Frankly, though, I'm not going to be bothered much by whatever does happen to her given that she did deliberately spoiler[stab and critically injure an innocent girl just for sake of using her as bait in her revenge scheme].

My distaste for the scene is question isn't due to any sympathy for her. I wouldn't mind any harm coming to her due to her behavior. I just find the idea of a woman being made to submit to a man unappealing to say the least, regardless of either's character, though that could affect it on the margins. I can't in good faith hold that against anyone (any viewers at least). The issue being addressed makes it fine in my book.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
To be fair to Big Order, the 27 chapters of it I read before dropping it didn't have Eiji order Rin to do anything exploitative.

Not that that stopped them from spoiler[a cliche trip-kiss, or random romcom sexual tension, or her getting NTRd by a hypnotist], but Eiji himself is a fairly innocuous standard milquetoast when it comes to the sexual stuff.

Well, except for the part where he spoiler[gets a girl pregnant...]
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
My distaste for the scene is question isn't due to any sympathy for her. I wouldn't mind any harm coming to her due to her behavior. I just find the idea of a woman being made to submit to a man unappealing to say the least, regardless of either's character, though that could affect it on the margins. I can't in good faith hold that against anyone (any viewers at least). The issue being addressed makes it fine in my book.

Oh, I understand where that's coming from. However (and someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong), I don't recall anyone making that big of a deal about Lelouche making female characters submit to his power in Code Geass, and so far this has been implied to be a similar type of power when directed at humans. And (mostly) unlike Lelouche, the MC is only using his power here because he's been backed into a corner, so it isn't like he's abused it (yet). Is the difference here that blacking the scene out makes it seem that much seedier?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Oh, I understand where that's coming from. However (and someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong), I don't recall anyone making that big of a deal about Lelouche making female characters submit to his power in Code Geass, and so far this has been implied to be a similar type of power when directed at humans. And (mostly) unlike Lelouche, the MC is only using his power here because he's been backed into a corner, so it isn't like he's abused it (yet). Is the difference here that blacking the scene out makes it seem that much seedier?

I don't remember being bothered by it in Code Geass, though my tastes may have been different then. The blacking out isn't necessarily a problem. The whimpering and whatnot that Jake mentioned was the real issue for me. To me, it almost seemed sexual in nature, though I doubt he made any such contact with her. Mind control is one thing. Submission is another.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
So the whimpering is the crux of the complaint? Okay, I can see how it would be interpreted that way, although I don't think that was my initial interpretation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 43 of 45