• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: IBM's Sword Art Online Virtual Reality MMO Project Posts More In-Game Footage

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Related: HTC Vive did an event a week or two back with a prototype Muv-Luv Alternative VR game, although they don't seem to have posted any in-game video, so all we have to go on is some mobile phone video posted by an attendee.
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Related: HTC Vive did an event a week or two back with a prototype Muv-Luv Alternative VR game, although they don't seem to have posted any in-game video, so all we have to go on is some mobile phone video posted by an attendee.
That game would be both awesome and absolutely terrifying at the same time. I would pay every last penny I have for it if it was done right.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
That game would be both awesome and absolutely terrifying at the same time. I would pay every last penny I have for it if it was done right.

There's a write-up over at Tokyo Otaku Mode. From reports I saw on Twitter, apparently you play as an infantry soldier, running around and trying to not get eaten by Tank-class BETA.
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Nyren wrote:

There's a write-up over at Tokyo Otaku Mode. From reports I saw on Twitter, apparently you play as an infantry soldier, running around and trying to not get eaten by Tank-class BETA.
That sounds even more terrifying. Being in a mech conveys some semblance of safety and so long as you can keep them from ripping your cockpit open everything is fine. But as a human soldier, on foot no less, you're helpless and any effort to put up a fight is futile. Watching that mouth come down on you would be the most terrifying thing I could imagine.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Now I feel I should apologize to the SAO fans for inadvertently hijacking this thread.

I'm sorry! Asuna is best girl! Honest!
Xavon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much they want for that 7/8th scale statue of Asuna?
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Still don't care for Sword Art Online but I'm glad it left such a large impact on the community to inspire this. It looks really interesting and very exciting.
Jedi Master Kirito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Considering how early this technology is, this is amazing.
Mertal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear this is only Alpha. Its got a looong way to go till this is halfway decent.
wohdin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
lol this looks so primitive it's actually kind of hilarious. I really feel like the full-spectrum input is nowhere near at the level it would need to be to even come close to emulating SAO-style VR, and none of that technology even seems to be on the horizon any time soon (which isn't surprising, considering how sci-fi it actually is). Good on IBM for actually sponsoring serious research into VR, though. Someone needs to do it.

invalidname wrote:
Asuna is best girl!

It's astonishing how wrong a person can be.

Klein is obviously the best grill.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
On one hand, the capabilities of it seem far too primitive to even compare it to the sci-fi creation.

But on the other hand, we'll never lean how to actually implement such technology, if it can be done at all, unless we're willing to take a few baby steps in what seems to be the right direction.

So on the whole, the research is very exciting even if the results thus far may seem like a bit of a let-down to many.
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
Ryujin99 wrote:
On one hand, the capabilities of it seem far too primitive to even compare it to the sci-fi creation.

But on the other hand, we'll never lean how to actually implement such technology, if it can be done at all, unless we're willing to take a few baby steps in what seems to be the right direction.

So on the whole, the research is very exciting even if the results thus far may seem like a bit of a let-down to many.

To get where those many want to be requires a ton of brain and technology interaction research. Research that most companies neither have the time or money to do. They would need volunteers that would basically become guinea pigs. These people may not even be able to function at all or be alive at all when it is done. Plus, quality research takes a ton of time.

So, the big question I have for all of those that are let-down is, "Would you volunteer for the sake of this project/technology if you knew that you may not be able to play the final product and/or that you would possibly die in the process?"
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I'm sorry! Asuna is best girl! Honest!

Lies! Yuuki Konno is best girl! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1