• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Could Love Live! Make an Appearance at the Tokyo Olympics?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Errr I would choose something that are not otaku catered like Doraemon or Pokemon.

Last edited by Hikarunu on Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
As much as I'd love to see μ's at the Olympics, if anyone should perform then it should be Aqours. Maybe even a joint performance of 'Sunny Day Song' if they were hell-bent on including μ's.

Still... make it happen!
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
By 2020 even Sunshine!! will be an afterthought. Love Live! is almost done as it is.

I highly doubt any anime will be noticed over there by foreigners and people watching around the world. They'll be too busy discussing Japan's birth rate and natural disasters within the last decade. Even the topic of loli/shota in cartoons and comics will disappear.

So please, keep our hobbies out of the Olympics and just root for your home country. Rolling Eyes
GEO9875

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
having anime idols in the Olympics seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
GEO9875 wrote:

The nature of the beast is that there is, short of the idol industry completely destroying itself within the next 4 years, SOME sort of pop idol group performing.

Will it be a Morning Musume unit? AKB 48? some OTHER anime/mass media project?
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
More love for Love Live by putting it in the Olympics? PLEASE DO! Very Happy
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Yes please!! But, let's be realistic, it wouldn't happen. That's 4 years from now..FOUR YEARS!!
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
GEO9875 wrote:

i'm legitimately worried for japan if this is what actual officials want to represent themselves in a global-targeted event

i never thought i'd root for old disgruntled people so much but somebody needs to do something about the kids these days
NormanS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... id prefer to have a performance thats is more or less mainstream (in the sense of widespread appeal), has roots in otaku culture and in japanese culture.

For example Kenji Kawai ( the compose for the Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the shell movies, who also did some pieces for Chinese film Ip Man) has made a 3 music piece project called "open your mind/ Mezame No Hakobune" and one of them named Hyakkin is especially striking since it blends both traditional Noh choir vocals, taiko drums, western strings, japanese strings and synth into one beautiful piece. Listen here.

Other people id vote for would be Joe Hisaishi (of Ghibli fame "Laputa Castle in the Sky and other works). His music is quite memorable and chances his music is heard from others not familiar with anime but with Ghibli works. Yuki Kajiura, Yoko Kanno are also great composers to suggest.

And for artists id vote for Kokia who is a singer of the mainstream sort, or Lia who's vocals are also great and can do non-anime style songs.

My problem with having a mass media/commercial song unit is that Japan hasn't really been advertising their media outside of Japan like Korea is doing, But on the other hand, the olympics is one of the biggest chances to advertise such things.

also... Hanayo best love live girl.
wastrel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I like Love Live too much to see it besmirched by association with the Olympics.

Besides, I'd think that a Hatsune Miku hologram performance would better highlight some of the uniqueness of Japan's tech and culture co-mingling.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to cultural touchstones present at the opening ceremony, I'd rather see Kamen Rider or super sentai, and if we are talking anime, I'd rathing it be something closer to Ghibli or Jump anime than moe stuff like Love Live.

I would not complain at all if Love Live makes an appearance, but I just don't see it happening.
sinfonia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Mmm. If it's the actual voice actresses going out and performing and not like, hologram Love Live! girls, then I'm about 60% okay with this. Because I'm sure some sort of idol group will perform. And I honestly don't want it to be AKB48, just due to my own personal dislike of them. ( Nothing against them; they're just not my cup of tea. ) Just. No hologram anime girls, Japan. Please.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Love Live>The national embarrassment that's AKB48

Heck if it's Aquors and not Muse, I'd be fine with them appearing at the Olympics.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
NormanS wrote:
For example Kenji Kawai ( the compose for the Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the shell movies, who also did some pieces for Chinese film Ip Man) has made a 3 music piece project called "open your mind/ Mezame No Hakobune" and one of them named Hyakkin is especially striking since it blends both traditional Noh choir vocals, taiko drums, western strings, japanese strings and synth into one beautiful piece. Listen here.

Or this live version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n8ukyrr8Ss
Quote:

Other people id vote for would be Joe Hisaishi (of Ghibli fame "Laputa Castle in the Sky and other works). His music is quite memorable and chances his music is heard from others not familiar with anime but with Ghibli works. Yuki Kajiura, Yoko Kanno are also great composers to suggest.

I'd like people who are recognised as excellent and are contributing their music to enhance the ceremonies and not being seen as an endorsement of the Olympic games.

I can imagine that artists like Ryuichi Sakamoto might have reasons not to want to contribute even if asked.

(Yuki Kajiura has had her music used in the Beijing Olympics, not music specifically written for Olympic games though).
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather have Hatsune Miku. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3