• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
When we last saw her, it looked like the whachamjigger was about to penetrate her forehead, so I thought the whimpering (Mother, Father, save me, don't look!) behind the black screen was a pretty cheap way to let fantasies run wild even if the contact wasn't sexual in nature.

But I wasn't liking the episode much before then, just because I was getting tired of the repetition without any revelation, and it was bugging me how poorly the conversation scenes were drawn, to where it didn't seem the like characters were actually looking at what they were supposed to be looking at. The focus of the eyes was off just enough to make it weird, as if they'd been drawn by separate artists and then slapped on the same page. Even when he's just staring off into space, it looked wrong somehow.

I dunno, I didn't like Future Diary, and this is off to a bad start, so it's definitely off my watchlist if I run out of time.
DLH112

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
...What really put me off was the scene at the end. Domination, particularly male domination, is a turn off for me and I'm glad that at least one reviewer shared my distaste for that scene. I'm still deciding whether to watch it though. OTOH I could witness the worst of the season. OTOH I may have to watch scenes like the last one. I'll give it at least another episode. ...

At first I thought you were being way oversensitive and stuff, as I have been reading the manga but hadn't seen the episode yet. I just finished watching it though and pretty much agree with you. I'm really disappointed they added in the tentacle-ish binding and made him gaining control of her sexual, it was really unnecessary. I wonder if the soldiers he had control over went through the same thing Wink
Blankslate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Big Order - ?/?
Why doesn't someone just wish to undo the "great calamity" or whatever it's called? I couldn't get that thought out of my head.
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Had to sign in and comment. Big order was horrible, i mean we had divine gate last season but this was off the chain! I enjoyed future diary so i ran to go check out his new work and found it to be interesting. This first episode just felt so disjointed it left me disoriented. By the end of the thing i was wondering when i started. The opening sequence was so bad i was tempted to skip through the episode. Why all that repetition in the beginning? What were they aiming for exactly? Then there is the part where the girl steps in, everything just moves so fast and the transitions just seem so unnatural and jolted. I'm having difficulty trying to even process what i watched, if i even can call it that. Knowing the source material i think this would have been perfect to take some creative liberty and build on it, this though, idk what happened.

Also the i thought the bgm was pure garbage especially since i watched it after that samurai mech show, which for me has the best bgm.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Jeezy petes they saved the worst for last.

Quote:
I just finished watching it though and pretty much agree with you.

Quote:
Big order was horrible

Oooookay. I guess i shouldn't waste my time on this one. Very Happy
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:32 am Reply with quote
Over the past few years I've re-evaluated how I perceive anime. I believe that there do exist bad popular shows but I like to think that if a lot of people like a show then surely it can't be as bad as a show that appeals to so little people that there isn't even really a fanbase to speak of. But even thinking about it from that perspective I still firmly believe that Future Diary is one of the worst anime I've ever seen.

So needless to say, Big Order was a big fat 'No' for me right from the get go. I consider 'Sakae Esuno' to be a bigger red flag than 'Genre: Ecchi, Harem, Fantasy; Source Material: Light Novel' (Though maybe not as big a red flag as a show called 'Super Lovers' with a grown man and a young child on the poster).

And after reading everyone's opinions I can't help but think... wow, I was so right in my decision to not watch Big Order. It sounds like its got pretty much everything I hated about Future Diary in there. Though to be fair, I doubt anything in the series be as awful and messy as the ending to Future Diary. And even if it does get that bad well... it couldn't be as bad as Redial right? Surely Esuno's gang rape fetish won't rear its ugly head again... right?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
While a lot of the comments in the thread about BO have been very negative, keep in mind that they aren't universally bad. I had a positive opinion of it, and Jacob and Nick both basically said that they thought the episode was well-made but that they had personal objections to some of the content.

While I definitely wouldn't place it among the best titles of the season based on initial episode, I definitely wouldn't place it among the worst, either. The average community score is over 3 for it, and series that truly deserve "the worst" label for a given season generally tend to be in the 2.3-2.5 range.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr March

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Ryomanagare wrote:
Why doesn't Macross Delta have a section on the preview guide? It's one of the biggest anime of 2016

For a couple years now the preview guide has only covered anime that streams legally in English.

If it's available legally outside the USA (ie: in the UK or Australia) we'd be open to covering it.

As for Macross Delta, it's actually not one of the most anticipated shows of the season. On 7.6% of our readers put it in their top 3 most anticipated shows. It is anticipated high enough that we would cover it if it were available in English.

Apparently the Japanese blu-ray releases for Macross Delta will have English subtitles.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:10 am Reply with quote
I'm currently reading the Big Order manga. If you liked Future Diary, you'll like Big Order. If you hated one, you'll hate the other. The author knows how to do this one, weird genre really well. Personally, I like both. Future Diary was the funniest train wreck i've ever seen and had a blast watching it. Big Order is just as crazy. I fully expect it to be this season's most hated anime, but I love it and will be watching every week.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Kabaneri screams of Shingeki but hey, that's OK! I hope it can tide us over until the second season starts.

This season it's Koutetsujou no Kabaneri, JoJo, Boku no Hero Academia, Joker Game, Sousei no Onmyouji, Gundam UC RE:0096, Bungou Stray Dogs, and Sakaguchi desu ga? for me. I plan on checking out Super Lovers, Kizunaiver, Shounen Maid, Macross Delta, and possibly Flying Witch.

Yup, going to be a busy season for me too. I'm also completely on-board with Kabaneri like you, the first episode was awesome. I think anyone who likes Attack on Titan should try it out even if they are worried it'll be too similar or feel like a knockoff, the staff really nailed the execution just like they have with that show itself which makes it quite satsifying. The setting and further steampunk additions are great. It should be a very addictive show to watch and way to enjoy the time until season 2. I'd love it if Kabaneri ends up longer than 12/13 eps in the future.

So far I'll be watching: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, My Hero Academia, Bungou Stray Dogs, JoJo, Kiznaiver, Joker Game, Gundam UC RE:0096, and probably Macross Delta, Terra Formars, and Twin Star Exorcists.

And maybe some Concrete Revolutio S2.
Your post reminds me, I should try Sakamoto and Flying Witch.

I'm not sure if it'll be any good but hopefully Kuromakuro will be good enough for my giant robot mecha fix this season since I've already seen Unicorn though I'm still going to watch the TV edit for the gorgeous animation and music and to see the new scenes.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, My Hero Academia, and Bungou Stray Dogs, and potentially Kiznaiver are my favorites of the season so far.
KitsuneBella

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I rated the first episode of this one 2 stars but it was a tentative 2 at best....
Productions values were indeed good but the story was a hot mess and really am not sure what the premise or purpose of this one is (?) ...
And I didn't see Future Diary (though its in my to-watch queue on CR) nor JoJo so I didn't get any references made there...
The fade to black at the end over the credits irked the hell out of me....and my inner gore-hound was not satisfied. *sniff* Though the sadist in me was WAY overly stimulated and satisfied....thank-you. Razz
Yeah, the sadist in me would have loved to have seen Rin get...um...spoiler["drilled"]. And I felt it moan inside me: "Hey! I wanted to see that!" Thanks a lot, kill-joy showrunners! BOO!
So I couldn't hate this one that bad but the lack of any real story or anything resembling one wasn't present, at least not in this episode....

I'll stick around with it for a little while longer but unless some real plot starts to develop I'm going to have to bag this one.
KitsuneBella

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
crosswithyou wrote:
Kabaneri screams of Shingeki but hey, that's OK! I hope it can tide us over until the second season starts.

This season it's Koutetsujou no Kabaneri, JoJo, Boku no Hero Academia, Joker Game, Sousei no Onmyouji, Gundam UC RE:0096, Bungou Stray Dogs, and Sakaguchi desu ga? for me. I plan on checking out Super Lovers, Kizunaiver, Shounen Maid, Macross Delta, and possibly Flying Witch.

Yup, going to be a busy season for me too. I'm also completely on-board with Kabaneri like you, the first episode was awesome. I think anyone who likes Attack on Titan should try it out even if they are worried it'll be too similar or feel like a knockoff, the staff really nailed the execution just like they have with that show itself which makes it quite satsifying. The setting and further steampunk additions are great. It should be a very addictive show to watch and way to enjoy the time until season 2. I'd love it if Kabaneri ends up longer than 12/13 eps in the future.

So far I'll be watching: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, My Hero Academia, Bungou Stray Dogs, JoJo, Kiznaiver, Joker Game, Gundam UC RE:0096, and probably Macross Delta, Terra Formars, and Twin Star Exorcists.

And maybe some Concrete Revolutio S2.
Your post reminds me, I should try Sakamoto and Flying Witch.

I'm not sure if it'll be any good but hopefully Kuromakuro will be good enough for my giant robot mecha fix this season since I've already seen Unicorn though I'm still going to watch the TV edit for the gorgeous animation and music and to see the new scenes.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, My Hero Academia, and Bungou Stray Dogs, and potentially Kiznaiver are my favorites of the season so far.

I'm glad someone else mentioned Twin Star Exorcists. I was pleasantly surprised by that one and I'm going to stay with it. I loved Sakamoto. The first episode had me rolling. Concrete Revolutio gave me a feeling of deja vu but still I think it had a strong start. TerraFormars I just started with and need to go back. I only had time to watch the first couple of episodes of the older season. I'll watch the uncut versions though. I got together with a buddy of mine last night for The Empire of Corpses screening here in Philadelphia and we both said that this season has been really good so far. Winter season was a glaring disappointment. I think this had to be the first season where I had more stuff in my queues than I could ever think to watch PLUS all the order shows that I hadn't gotten around to see yet. Smile
KitsuneBella

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Big Order - ?/?
Why doesn't someone just wish to undo the "great calamity" or whatever it's called? I couldn't get that thought out of my head.

Because if they did that, they wouldn't have a show. Razz Twisted Evil [*yep, being a snarky ass..but a jovial snarky ass. ] Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
I guess I'll have the last word it seems, but I just wanted to say that Space Patrol Luluco is the best short this season and a stand-out of the last couple of years because they are managing to create an actual serial story in the hyperactive but funny action. And so many rapid-fire comments and referential jokes... I just don't know another place to comment on this. Also, Big Order is great for being so bad and if "subjugating" Rin was "bad", check out how he does it with Iyo the miko-girl!!!
bin1127

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching Netoge no Yome ep 1 and it's not a bad show at all. Not haha funny but it's not dull and dry as the review made it out to be. I think Jacob was totally not in the mood for this show when he watched it.

It's tropey harem but the anime quality is nice and the girls have that shiny moe look to them; Its great when the characters have really detailed and distinguished eyes. The gag where Rusian gets beat up by the monster and all the party members are just chatting did show comedic time and gave me a good giggle. Then the confession scene reveal of the girl as a guy was really funny. I think for just the first ep unless you're expecting a miraculous show that as average goes, this is just par, and not less. I'll watch a few more and see how it pans out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 44 of 45