• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Survey: Server Names

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Really should keep with the AMG theme, I think, instead of giving in to current flavors (Haruhi/Yuki). Consistency FTW.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
There is no way to see if my suggestions made the list, or how well they are doing?

When you click it again all it says is thank you, not how well each of the names are doing or whats been added.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
KOS-MOS

Navi

Copeland

SEELE

Soyokaze
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Really should keep with the AMG theme, I think, instead of giving in to current flavors (Haruhi/Yuki). Consistency FTW.

Yes, the Goddess names are nice and all, but Haruhi, Mikuru, and Yuki are the new Belldandy, Urd, and Skuld. Wink (If you couldn't tell, those three are my votes. Haruhi, ftw!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't believe that only half of A!MG readers/watchers could understand who K1 was. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Yes, the Goddess names are nice and all, but Haruhi, Mikuru, and Yuki are the new Belldandy, Urd, and Skuld. :wink: (If you couldn't tell, those three are my votes. Haruhi, ftw!)

...except for the fact that most of us here at ANN go back to the mid/late-90's, and thus, are all about the *old* Belldandy/Urd/Skuld.

All I'll say is, whyfor does Banpei get no love!?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
All I'll say is, whyfor does Banpei get no love!?!

I'd be very happy to vote him, but not for any of the three questions. He'd be perfect if ANN has a bot program or equivalent. Also good for the UPS system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
There is no way to see if my suggestions made the list, or how well they are doing?

When you click it again all it says is thank you, not how well each of the names are doing or whats been added.

animenewsnetwork.com/survey/141/result
the_windcaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Three servers.... three mechanical/technological.... things? They should have technological nicknames. Yggdrasil... brilliant! But.... there are three of them...

I don't know, the MAGI win for me. True, proven classics in the vein of AMG. Haruhi... we'll see. Give it 12 years and see how it does, but I somehow doubt it'll stand the test of time.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
...except for the fact that most of us here at ANN go back to the mid/late-90's, and thus, are all about the *old* Belldandy/Urd/Skuld.

Yes, the three are indeed a classic. I really don't mind if ANN decides to keep them. Just sayin', though...Haruhi! Is there anything else we can name? Maybe I'm just having too much fun. Laughing
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I love the idea of calling them Melchior, Balthazar and Casper :3
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Yes, the Goddess names are nice and all, but Haruhi, Mikuru, and Yuki are the new Belldandy, Urd, and Skuld. Wink (If you couldn't tell, those three are my votes. Haruhi, ftw!)

Maybe, but honestly, do you think 10 years down the road, Haruhi Suzumiya will be a classic well known show that still has a strong fan-base?

Haruhi started with some light novels in 2003, and had 2 mangas based off that (one has been discontinued). A 14 episode anime season was produced, which is what brought it to the attention of the anime public.

Ah My Goddess! (or "Oh" if you prefer), has been around since 1988, so it already has almost 15 years on Haruhi by original source. It's Manga has been going on since then, and was popular on it's own. The manga is still being released with new chapters. It's spawned an OVA at first, followed by a movie an original TV series. Lately it's had two complete seasons of an anime adaptation done, making it literally a powerhouse in the manga/anime universe.

So from a perspective of anime as a whole, AMG is like chocolate, and Haurhi is more the flavor of the week (or year, whatever you want). Maybe Haruhi will yet become the new cookies and cream, but for now I gotta go with AMG.

Besides, you can't beat Urd. Twisted Evil
Otae-san

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
YOROZUYA.

... [slinks off]
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Maybe, but honestly, do you think 10 years down the road, Haruhi Suzumiya will be a classic well known show that still has a strong fan-base?

Obviously not for you. Anyway, way to inform me on details I already know. I thought was having some fun. Confused
W-General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I've read AMG and it's an average series for me, however I say that if you already have a theme for your previous servers, then you should follow that theme just for the sake of consistency - I value consistency very highly.

I really have no other suggestions unless ANN plans to rename every single server.

(On an unrelated note, being a Xenogears fan, I call my desktop "Zohar," my laptop "Kadamony," my network "DEUS," and my hard drives Judah, Levi, Joseph...the 12 Anima relics - i.e. the 12 tribes of Israel which they were originally referenced from in the game)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3