• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
This is a minor thing to bring up i feel most people will say, but All Might's quirk name is "One for All" it has a deeper meaning behind it and the upfront meaning that it is a power meant to be used by one for the better of all.

I'd bring up why this is important, but spoilers abound and I'm not gonna be that guy.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Being a by-the-numbers show has never been a bad thing by itself. Certain elements become cliché specifically because people like it, and you can use them in either good or bad ways. MHA does it pretty well; just because it's not some grand genre subversion doesn't mean it can't be a good show. I appreciate it because it's earnest, fun, and highlights the reason why a lot of us think superheroes are cool (something that I've been missing from Marvel/DC movies as of late).

Like, sometimes it's cool to cheer for an underdog trying his best to accomplish his dreams.
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Twilightmaster wrote:
This is a minor thing to bring up i feel most people will say, but All Might's quirk name is "One for All" it has a deeper meaning behind it and the upfront meaning that it is a power meant to be used by one for the better of all.

I'd bring up why this is important, but spoilers abound and I'm not gonna be that guy.

Ah snap, I didn't realize I jumbled up the words. Thanks for letting me know! ^^;
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I still think the message would have been far stronger had he not gained any power and instead become a powerless hero. That quote is there to make it seems like he really earned his quirk trough hard work, but really it's 99% luck 1% hard work (sure he physically trained, but plenty of people already do that and we don't call them hero). All might might (wow that's awkward to say) have seen courage in him but I see stupidity, I'll leave this quote from macross plus that I really like:

Quote:
Col. Millard Johnson: You can't carry challenge and recklessness within in the same pocket. Do you know who said that, Lieutenant?
Isamu Alva Dyson: Hmmm... no, sir.
Col. Millard Johnson: I did. That's the lesson I learned.
Isamu Alva Dyson: And?
Col. Millard Johnson: Do you know what else you're carrying in your pocket, Isamu Dyson?
Isamu Alva Dyson: Uh, no... sir.
Col. Millard Johnson: Stupidity!

Oh also, really with the whole exam 4th monster "Ooooo you don't have to clear those and there not worth any point". You know just cause Naruto had a gotcha moment in it's exam you don't also need to have one.
xzy123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
MC work hard for power and other people don't have to work hard for power ok
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
That quote is there to make it seems like he really earned his quirk trough hard work, but really it's 99% luck 1% hard work (sure he physically trained, but plenty of people already do that and we don't call them hero). All might might (wow that's awkward to say) have seen courage in him but I see stupidity

Yup, 10 months of constant physical endurance training on top of being a full-time student studying for entrance into an elite school is definitely something just anybody's capable. Really though, I'm not sure what you're gonna get out of this show if you're this diametrically opposed to its core conceit. MHA is pretty blunt about the value of altruism even when it's not pragmatic, and that's really not gonna change moving forward.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Izuku spoiler[getting powers] wasn't that simple. He trained for almost a year and spoiler[everytime he uses his power, it would break his bones]. If you think about it, how would he work as a powerless hero? In a world full of superpowered villains, he'd stand no chance. He's middle class at best, so he can't afford equipment like Bruce Wayne.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Izuku spoiler[getting powers] wasn't that simple. He trained for almost a year and spoiler[everytime he uses his power, it would break his bones]. If you think about it, how would he work as a powerless hero? In a world full of superpowered villains, he'd stand no chance. He's middle class at best, so he can't afford equipment like Bruce Wayne.

Let's not forget that this series also treats spoiler[creating gadgets and other gear as a quirk unto its own] so Izuku was invalidated from part of what made Batman who he is as well by being quirkless.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
How do you get Deku as a nickname out of Izuku Midoriya?
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I waited the whole episode for that scream, damn that was a good one, albeit the transition between mid-training and the day of the exam was a little too fast and jarring. Other than that, a decent episode just before a (I hope) great one.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

A different reading of Izuku, Bakugou calls him that because it can mean "incapable" or something like that.
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

IIRC, it comes from an alternative reading of the kanji for Izuku.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Yup, 10 months of constant physical endurance training on top of being a full-time student studying for entrance into an elite school is definitely something just anybody's capable. Really though, I'm not sure what you're gonna get out of this show if you're this diametrically opposed to its core conceit. MHA is pretty blunt about the value of altruism even when it's not pragmatic, and that's really not gonna change moving forward.

Well, yeah plenty of people do, go to any university and they usually have 1-3 semi professional athlete team who are staffed with student from the school, plus plenty of the normal student there work out (you can usually see them with shirt that are obviously too small for them). Not to mention most athlete who participate in the olympic aren't professional athlete, they have a normal 9-5 job.

As far as the show goes, I still enjoy it. It has an interesting art style, all might is a cool character and it's been a while since I watch a straight shonen and this is pretty well done. I just wish it wasn't so focus on pushing it's moral/message while actively showing the exact opposite. I'm a big believer of show don't tell, but this show doesn't really do that, it tries to but it's mostly just a layer of paint that peel away if you look at it. And the older I get the more annoying I find how hard children show push moral onto kid who don't quite understand who the world work (and whose parent have to then temper those expectation) failure is an important part of life that will happen to everyone (we can't all be winner, all the time). Rather than have a story were the main character realize his failure (or rather the inevitability of them if he follow his current plan), accept them, and works around them they instead have a character who just mope around, then do something incredibly stupid and reckless which just happen to catch the eye of someone whose literally one in 7 billions (I'm assuming the world has similar population to curse).

I mean, the show pretty much already setup the main character to become some sort of hero coordinator/manager/tactician, they could have that be the shtick. Once all might see him and notice how hard he work at learning all the hero quirk and stuff he suggest to him to try and become a hero this way. He then go to the academy and manage to convince some of the weaker hero that he can help them with any foe they encounter in the test in exchange for sharing credits and so on. Morale of the story "if you literally cannot do something, find a new way to leverage your natural talent toward your goal rather than going down a road that lead nowhere".
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

A different reading of Izuku, Bakugou calls him that because it can mean "incapable" or something like that.

Pidgeot18 wrote:
IIRC, it comes from an alternative reading of the kanji for Izuku.

This. In fact it might be more appropriate to say that Izu- is the alternative reading for the kanji 出 and not the other way round, as it comes from the older word meaning "to exit" (出づ idu; most modern Japanese dialects don't distinguish between du and zu outside of foreign words). The modern Japanese for "to exit" is 出る deru so this pronunciation is less counter-intuitive to modern readers. And yes, there's also the word 木偶 deku literally meaning "wooden figure" and figuratively meaning "good-for-nothing".
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 3 was more or less how I was expecting, it will be either the weaker or the second weakest of the 12.
Via_01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I mean, the show pretty much already setup the main character to become some sort of hero coordinator/manager/tactician, they could have that be the shtick. Once all might see him and notice how hard he work at learning all the hero quirk and stuff he suggest to him to try and become a hero this way. He then go to the academy and manage to convince some of the weaker hero that he can help them with any foe they encounter in the test in exchange for sharing credits and so on. Morale of the story "if you literally cannot do something, find a new way to leverage your natural talent toward your goal rather than going down a road that lead nowhere".

That'd be an interesting take, but I feel you're trying to criticize My Hero Academia not for its failures, but simply because it's not a completely different show, the one you want it to be. "If you can't do something, then nurture your natural talent toward your goal" is a fair message, but so is "you should work hard for your goal, even if it seems impossible and everyone else says you can't make it". If Deku didn't have any powers, then the overall tone and plot should have to be adjusted by a juge margin in order to fit those qualities. Besides, it's not as if Deku won't have any hardships to face now that he has All Might's power. spoiler[In fact, the manga has hinted using so much strength and breaking his bones so frequently could lead to Midoriya sustaining un-curable damage, such as losing forever mobility on his limbs.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 81