• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Twin Star Exorcists

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I like the visual style of the show -- it's bright & vivid, and the animation is smooth & fluid. However, the plot is quite average at best, to the point to could (and somewhat did) predict the next 5 minutes of the show, including the obvious "rile up the MC to impress the skeptics" trope, and the "all is well" afterwards (really? the head boss just called of those who died in that Calamity thing "trash" and the MC just let it slide, because it was part of a test).

I probably won't remember the show by its story.

Side-note: the BGM is quite good, as well.

I shit you not, i dropped this show because MC-kun didn't deck him one anyways. F that guy, that trope, that particular brand of nastiness, and all the non-caring spectators it rode in on. There is plenty of less nasty shounen out there that is just as nice to look at, I'm just kinda sick of shouting at my tv when it should be the characters doing it. Meh.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Half of the episode was anime original and half adapted some bits and pieces from chapter 3 and 6. Now I know most people dislike the very thought of an anime not being faithful and doing it's own thing however the original material here actually had a purpose. In the manga, it takes 6 chapters to introduce Mayura and it's done in a very abrupt manner. It was almost as if the sole reason behind her creation was for the sake of love triangle and to give some background info about Rokuro. Here, the anime did a surprisingly decent job by introducing her sooner (since she becomes an important character later on) and show the bond between her and Rokuro.

Production values were on the mediocre side since the episode was outsourced to a Korean studio apparently but I guess that's to be expected from a 4 cour series. My only complaint however is that annoying little fox. Hope it gets killed soon. Mad
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
My only complaint however is that annoying little fox. Hope it gets killed soon. Mad

Oh, jeez, I could give you a hundred thumbs-up on that one. I don't like mascot characters in general, and he/she/it is one of the most obnoxious I've ever run across.

Beyond that, I'm liking the series enough after ep 3 that I will probably keep up with it. (It also helps that nothing else I'm interested in streams on Wednesdays.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So far Mayura is perfectly fine; her character design and line delivery make her likable enough.

I'm actually surprised by how much I don't hate her. Smile She's been very low key in her approach to Rokuro which is kinda refreshing for an unrequited love interest. So I can't shake the feeling that she's about to be possessed by a kegare and/or turn into a raving yandere.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
So far Mayura is perfectly fine; her character design and line delivery make her likable enough.

I'm actually surprised by how much I don't hate her. Smile She's been very low key in her approach to Rokuro which is kinda refreshing for an unrequited love interest. So I can't shake the feeling that she's about to be possessed by a kegare and/or turn into a raving yandere.

Yeah, there's something about Mayura that just makes her kind of lovable. I think it's because the show doesn't go overboard with the cutesy factor with her. She's not absurdly klutzy or aggressively cheerful or anything like that. She's just a nice girl, and there's something to be said for letting characters just be "nice", at least on shows like this.

Though the kegare possession, or some kind of turn like that, is probably inevitable, I really hope they can refrain from turning her into a walking Relationship Obstacle for Rokuro/Benio. Confused
GoldenPincers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, there's something about Mayura that just makes her kind of lovable. I think it's because the show doesn't go overboard with the cutesy factor with her. She's not absurdly klutzy or aggressively cheerful or anything like that. She's just a nice girl, and there's something to be said for letting characters just be "nice", at least on shows like this.

Though the kegare possession, or some kind of turn like that, is probably inevitable, I really hope they can refrain from turning her into a walking Relationship Obstacle for Rokuro/Benio.

I completely agree on that. If anything, because Mayura knows of Rokuro's circumstances and past, she can more easily help him in times of need. And through her noticing him beeing down, she tried to cheer him up. Sure, Mayura likes Rokuro, but she is a good friend above all, caring for him and NOT slapping him or sulking every 5 minutes calling him a pervert.
You will also see that Mayura becomes a strong emotionnal support for Rokuro.

Quote:
My only complaint however is that annoying little fox. Hope it gets killed soon.

Yep, same thoughts. All anime-original content added thus far has had a purpose and even helped the series out... all except this damn fire fox. Who thought it'd be a good idea to add it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Three episodes in and I'm still not feeling it. Everything about Twin Star feels so uninspired and boring.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
The exorcist higher-ups seem to be oddly relaxed about that whole "making the super baby" thing. So they are going to be patiently waiting until those kids are ready for baby-making while the Kagare seem to be getting stronger by the day and there's always the danger that one (or both) of the prospective parents might actually die fighting these monster which would mean "bye bye, super baby" forever? I guess that makes sense for a shounen series which isn't primarily supposed to be about making babies, but it doesn't really make sense...

That aside, it's charming enough so far, even though it's chock-full of clichés.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I guess that makes sense for a shounen series which isn't primarily supposed to be about making babies, but it doesn't really make sense...

As much as I enjoy this series, I cannot agree with you more about this. There's having lax adults in a series - making the kids feel empowered while watching it - but then there's moments like this where the entire question of "why are they so lax about this" becomes really awkward.

It most definitely makes sense for a show aimed at a younger teen audience to avoid that fact, but sometimes it becomes a little hard to just gloss over that fact and roll with the punches of the story's reality when these sorts of things crop up.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
The exorcist higher-ups seem to be oddly relaxed about that whole "making the super baby" thing.

After the initial development of spoiler[having Rokuro and Benio move in together in their own house], I never really gave that much thought.

Maybe they just want to make sure that their Savior doesn't have family issues or something. Can't save the world if you're drowning in angst, after all!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
so, the anime actually got me rather interested in this series, so I checked out the manga and ended up burning through all the chapters very quickly (granted there are only 29 chapters at the moment). The manga is quite good, although at the same time I am a little worried about the anime as it is already deviating from the manga in a few areas, for example the annoying fox spirit side kick does not exist in the manga at all, why does he exist? Probably to help fill in time during each episode
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
The exorcist higher-ups seem to be oddly relaxed about that whole "making the super baby" thing. So they are going to be patiently waiting until those kids are ready for baby-making while the Kagare seem to be getting stronger by the day and there's always the danger that one (or both) of the prospective parents might actually die fighting these monster which would mean "bye bye, super baby" forever? I guess that makes sense for a shounen series which isn't primarily supposed to be about making babies, but it doesn't really make sense...

The other thing to consider here is that even though this arrangement is somewhat risky, Benio and Rokuro are still the "big guns" of the exorcism world at this point. The exorcists (onmyouji, if you prefer) may not be able to afford to have them idled while they go about the baby-making business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
So apparently this will get 52 episodes.

That explains the glacial pacing and focus on character introductions over the plot elements that were already introduced in the manga by now. I can't say that I'm happy about this, but hopefully the director manages to speed things up quickly and make things more interesting. This also explains the low budget on more SoL scenes, especially when characters are zoomed out from and become blobs; the studio's rationing the budget exclusively on action scenes.

I'd be happier if Twin Star Exorcists and My Hero Academia had swapped episode counts; TSE doesn't have the content to sustain 52 episodes without filler while MHA's pacing will barely scratch the surface of the manga.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
52 episodes?! Could we get a source for that? It makes no sense, there are only 29 chapters of the manga out right now, there is no way they have enough material to do 52 episodes. If that's the case no wonder the put the mascot spirit in and dragged out some scenes, but it just doesn't make any sense. I could maybe see 24 episodes in a double season and even that is seriously stretching it but 52 is crazy.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
52 episodes?! Could we get a source for that? It makes no sense, there are only 29 chapters of the manga out right now, there is no way they have enough material to do 52 episodes. If that's the case no wonder the put the mascot spirit in and dragged out some scenes, but it just doesn't make any sense. I could maybe see 24 episodes in a double season and even that is seriously stretching it but 52 is crazy.

Not really sure about the 4 cour thing but there are 30 chapters out and they've adapted only 3 chapters so far. That's why I don't think it's impossible if they continue to adapt at the pace of 1 chapter per episode. Not to mention there is a timeskip after the first major arc so they might use it as an excuse to create a mini filler arc to fill in some gaps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16