• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeCons.com Launches Worldwide Convention Map

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME. I just moved, so I'm really glad to be able to see this. *__*
Proz512

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the plug Very Happy - Now I can show people where it is being held at when they ask me.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I think this'll be a very good improvement, both for returning attendees to these cons and to new con-goers who wanna know where they're located real quick. Anime catgrin
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
Ironically, by that map Japan (and the entire Asia!) has only one anime con: Comiket, which is not an anime con at all. Rolling Eyes

In fact, if one goes by stricter standards, Japan has probably only one anime con: Tokyo Anime Fair, and Taiwan has none (those I've reported are manga and book fairs, and I've attended other dōjinshi fairs). I often wonder: why does US has ~70 anime cons (according to the map from AnimeCons.com) a year?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:49 am Reply with quote
They didn't include Filipino cons Sad and there's one next week - GXcon - October 7
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:00 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
They didn't include Filipino cons Sad and there's one next week - GXcon - October 7

As expected, that site is still mainly aimed at the Anglosphere, and for most of the time the Philippines is not considered as a part of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
jetz wrote:

As expected, that site is still mainly aimed at the Anglosphere, and for most of the time the Philippines is not considered as a part of it.

I hope they include us soon. We have a lot of cons here (at least I think so)- there's at least 2 every month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
Patrick has always been very good about adding cons to the site if you tell him about one. So, if you want cons in the Philippines to be listed, *list them* ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PatrickD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Patrick has always been very good about adding cons to the site if you tell him about one. So, if you want cons in the Philippines to be listed, *list them* ^^

Yes, I don't know about a con unless someone tells me! Go use the submission form and if it passes the criteria, it will be listed.

(We do reject stuff like cosplay gatherings, sci-fi cons without anime programming, and "cons" under 8 hours total in order to keep things sane... Oh, and they are required to have a web site where we can verify the submitted information.)
rpb3000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
Now this is awesome. I can't wait until it's out of beta and all the cons that are in the database are listed. Much potential Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
PatrickD wrote:
We do reject stuff like cosplay gatherings, sci-fi cons without anime programming, and "cons" under 8 hours total in order to keep things sane... Oh, and they are required to have a web site where we can verify the submitted information.

Is this "8 hours" the total length of the event or, as written on the submission page, 8 hours of "anime programming?" Could you explain the definition of "anime programming" specified here? For example, the major cons (CE & TIBE, 400K person-time each) and dōjinshi fairs (FF, PF, and CWT; FF has 50-80K person-time) in Taiwan are much larger in size than most American cons, but none of them has any anime screening room.

Furthermore, some panels are held by the attending companies and may or may not be listed on the official schedule issued by the convention committee. Should they be listed or not?

Last but not least: how many languages could your staffs read in order to verify information through official websites?
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
PatrickD wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:

Yes, I don't know about a con unless someone tells me! Go use the submission form and if it passes the criteria, it will be listed.

(We do reject stuff like cosplay gatherings, sci-fi cons without anime programming, and "cons" under 8 hours total in order to keep things sane... Oh, and they are required to have a web site where we can verify the submitted information.)

A web site? Most cons (just the major ones) here advertise through one "mother" site - cosplay.ph - regardless of whether or not they have cosplay in the list of their activities. Sometimes they have their own site, sometimes they don't. Like THISone for example, I believe they don't have their own web site. Would that count?
PatrickD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
PatrickD wrote:
We do reject stuff like cosplay gatherings, sci-fi cons without anime programming, and "cons" under 8 hours total in order to keep things sane... Oh, and they are required to have a web site where we can verify the submitted information.

Is this "8 hours" the total length of the event or, as written on the submission page, 8 hours of "anime programming?" Could you explain the definition of "anime programming" specified here? For example, the major cons (CE & TIBE, 400K person-time each) and dōjinshi fairs (FF, PF, and CWT; FF has 50-80K person-time) in Taiwan are much larger in size than most American cons, but none of them has any anime screening room.

When I say we're looking for at least 8 hours of anime programming, I mean that we won't list something that is just one day long, starts at noon and ends at 4pm. I'm NOT talking "person time", so don't add together the running time of all anime programming at the event. I'm talking about the total running time of the event during which there is anime programming.

...but basically, we're just trying to weed out stuff like sci-fi cons that don't really have any anime programming and want to be listed, small cosplay gatherings at the park, college anime club meetings that bill themselves as "cons", and other minor or non-anime events.

dormcat wrote:
Furthermore, some panels are held by the attending companies and may or may not be listed on the official schedule issued by the convention committee. Should they be listed or not?

We only list what we can verify on the web site, but we do make exceptions sometimes if we know an industry panel has been held in the past or if a company themselves has said they'll be there.

dormcat wrote:
Last but not least: how many languages could your staffs read in order to verify information through official websites?

You'd be surprised. Smile
PatrickD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
A web site? Most cons (just the major ones) here advertise through one "mother" site - cosplay.ph - regardless of whether or not they have cosplay in the list of their activities. Sometimes they have their own site, sometimes they don't. Like THISone for example, I believe they don't have their own web site. Would that count?

No. We used to list stuff like that, but now we insist on an event having an actual web site. The reason was that there were a lot of anime gatherings (cosplay gatherings in particular) that were promoted on cosplay.com or with MySpace pages that were really cluttering up the listings by throwing events every month. They became impossible to keep track of and trying to verify information with such pages was extremely difficult.

Nowadays, we believe that any real convention should have an official convention site with all the details such as registration, events, location, etc. In the example you've linked to, that's just a page with a basic schedule in an event calendar. That does not qualify.

We also don't list film festivals...because if we listed every anime screening across the country...well...no. Just no.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
PatrickD wrote:
I'm NOT talking "person time", so don't add together the running time of all anime programming at the event.

Thanks for explaining. However, the "person-time" or "man-time" in my text was the best translation I could find (although I doubt its accuracy) for the total number of attendance that includes multiple entries i.e. count "6" if a person enters the exhibition hall either 6 times a day or once a day for a con spanning 6 days. Those were counted electronically by motion sensors located at gates, and committees love to boast attendee numbers with those figures (not exactly lying). The actual number of "warm bodies" simultaneously in the building is usually much, much less. I'm not sure if they keep or are willing to disclose actual numbers of ticket sales and/or special badges they issued.

PatrickD wrote:
dormcat wrote:

You'd be surprised. Smile

After knowing abunai, few people could surprise me. Wink

By the way, do dōjinshi fairs at Tosanbō (AKA Tokyo Trade Center / Tokyo Metropolitan Small Business Center) counts?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2