• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which Shonen Jump Series Hooked You?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I still consider bleach to be one of the most amazing Shonen titles today. Despite the hate it gets, which in y opinion is based on a bandwagon jumping, caused by Kubos slow pacing. The slow pacing leaves weekly readers with an empty impression, leading to the weekly complaint that "nothing ever happens in bleach" when that isn't true at all. There is much more happening In bleach than in, let's say Naruto. Bleach foreshadows so much more than people ever credit it for. Bleach has its flaws. Some of which can't be whitewashed.
But it's nowhere near going downhill. If you read the tankobons, you will notice a great pacing. If you Analyse the plot, you will see great progression and foreshadowing.
In my humble opinion it has the most interesting characters, while one needs a lot of patience until their potential gets revealed (Final arc)

The flaws in bleach can be compared to any Shonen and if you are honest, it's not a bad piece of work at all. Now if you just dislike the concept, that's a different thing. But the execution is nowhere near as bad as the mainstream suggests.

Kubo even explained how aizen knew Ichigo before Ichigo was born and where his hollow is coming from. . Even Ichigos unstable power level was explained. Kubo puts moe thought into his series than kishimoto ever did in his final war.

I respect you Mr. Kubo. Your work is undeserving of the hate, In the mainstream anime fanbases.
moonshine101

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I started with the typical series mainly Naruto which at the time I believed to be a cartoon. Even now I feel ashamed of that! I loved Naruto, and when I found out about this mysterious "shippuuden" series, I started watching it and my god I was infatuated with it's deep story(excluding fillers). I couldn't stop. I still enjoy Naruto, but the pacing is infurating so I resorted to reading the manga.

However, as my obsession for anime grew, I watching Bleach which I never found interesting, One Piece which is fine for 20 episodes before I get bored and I was mostly out. When I found out about this HunterXHunter 2011 series, I thought it looked like absolute shit. I ignored it, entirely. It wasn't for a couple of months that I decided to try it and MY GOD WAS I HOOKED! It felt like the first time I watched Naruto where I felt like a kid again, remembering the best days of anime.

When I got up to the latest episode, 8, I was beside myself. My pillow took a beating, I so badly wanted the next episode of it so so so badly. This resulted in me finding out that it had an anime from a decade earlier, which I located and watched religiously. I loved it so so much, but knew the newer one would do the same but better. I wasn't disappointed. MADHOUSE adapted the series perfectly from all angles where I would just get infatuated with the series every episode. I never felt like there was a single episode I didn't love more than the last.

When it got up to the Chimera Ant arc, it WENT INTO OVERDRIVE. I MEAN OVERDRIVE. Once I got up to episode 90, with that being the latest episode I had to read the manga. I had to. For the next couple of days, I just read it up to the latest chapter and my god was it worth ever second. Then to finally see it in the anime, ESPECIALLY WHEN GON GOES APE-SHIT I literally cried with joy beyond words. It was perfect. I seriously cannot fault this series, it is the best shounen I have ever seen. The outcome of this series is that it has completely changed my life, entirely. I want to live up to the life that Gon and Killua live. I want to push myself as hard as them. To this day, they are the sole reason I have gotten fit and healthy again. I think of them every day.

The worst part of the series was it ended. It hurts me so deeply knowing I will have to wait many many years for it to potentially get another anime. I will never forget this series, it is the very definition of perfection when it comes to shounen.

I need someone to force me to forget anime so I can get back into this and live through those amazing moments....again!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
The first WSJ that I read was "Rurouni Kenshin". I really got in Naruto in Aug. '07 and it's the one that I read the longest. In on week, I read enough scanlated chapters that equaled over 30 volumes. Currently, I skim read "Bleach' and "Nisekoi" chapters.
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Naruto was my gateway series into anime. Specifically the Naruto vs Sasuke arc was the greatest thing I've ever seen and it got me hooked. Lost interest in it during its decline and branched out into other things. Nowadays long-running shonen style series are not really my cup of tea anymore but I'm currently really into HunterxHunter.

Others probably include Death Note and Haikyuu!!. If we're talking non-WSJ series then Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist definitely. Also while I was never into DBZ I love Team Fourstar's parody of it. It's perfectly okay with lampooning and poking fun at the franchise and yet it made me get how people could like it. If I were to dabble in any more shonen it will probably be something like Rurouni Kenshin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6