• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers English Broadcast Dub for My Hero Academia Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
Much as I love Luci Christian's work and contrary to opinion here, I think this is a minor mistake. I think Ms. Christian's voice projects a more mature character and has done wonderful work creating tsundere characters or those with plenty of attitude (plus the best "drunk" voice in anime!), but that does not fit Ochaco from what I've seen. Not that she can't do it, witness Nagisa in Clannad (surprise), but someone with a "younger" voice would have been better. Some here seem to want a Shikabane Hime cast reunion but I'd have supported Jerry Jewell as Katsuki/Kacchan. One must be careful casting Todd Haberkorn though, his very distinctive voice and delivery can steal scenes!
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
> Chris Sabat as All Might

Well this cast choice doesn't surprise me. Might look forward to this to see how this.

*cringe*...............lol

I was hopping for a more interesting choice instead of bringing their usual grunt manly men actor when I think other simuldubs chose other people. Didn't patrick seitz get in one? If not, oh well. But that would've been interesting after hearing his Dio in JoJo and seeing what he could bring unto the table. Or an even rarer choice would be to bring Rob Mungle over, his voice alone is the only voice I heard in my mind when witnessing All Mights heroic yet comedic attitude (hell, rob is a professional comedian). Yes, its been round 6 years since he appeared in a FUNI dub. But Its been around that same time for Chris Patton, AND LO AND BEHOLD! He returns in a FUNI dub.

But of course that depends on the director (and actors lifestyle). Which well have to wait and see to figure out the complete picture on why and how they cast them. But I assume due to lack of boulder crushing popularity the company assumed they would get after spending a crap ton on the show and advertising it to the ground. They probably wanna play it safe on the dub. And no, Luci doesn't count as a surprise. She's Luci freaking Christen lol
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
An alright cast; not bad. I'm particularly interested in who will be Minoru. Wink
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I see no bad choices here, though I imagine Jamieson Price would have been fun as All Might lol. I just love that guy's voice - no one hams it up like he can.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
While everybody (myself included) expects Monica Rial to voice Tsuyu, I wouldn't mind somebody else. When AoT was announced, I was expecting Rial to voice Sasha, but I was satisfied with Ashly Burch, and I think she may work as Tsuyu too. Option number three for me would be Kira Vincent Davis if she used her Osaka voice, but dropped the Southern accent.

Gemnist wrote:
Eric Vale really doesn't play stoic people; he always plays cocky guys with his regular voice or sickly characters.

He's played a few stoics, like Yuki Sohma and Future Trunks.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'd also like to predict that Tia Ballard will play Recovery Girl.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Kb24lol wrote:
Wish this was on toonami, would be easier to watch it on tv then on their website. Hopefully funimation gets their own tv channel.

Seriously. Funimation's apps are for shit. I tried watching the dub of Blood Blockade Battlefront (last episode) on my PS4, and it took 30 minutes of buffering before I gave up (at that point, I only reach minute 5 of the episode). Then, I logged into their site on my computer to watch the episode, and it still buffered! I had to wait 30 minutes for the full episode to load in SD. My gosh. 8 bux a month to watch a loading screen.

lol. Ya i have the same issue, i try to watch it on my laptop but the connection is terrible, it may be my dorm tho but idk tbh. Imo i think its the website but looks like im not the only one with the issue haha. But apparently theyre about to get their own tv channel so that will definitely help.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Sabat as All Might is the safest and easiest possible choice and I don't think I could be any more disappointed on that end.

If this was 5 years ago, I would've said the same for Luci Christian as Ochaco, but since it's been such a long time since I've heard her play a major character in a Funi dub, it's actually kind of refreshing.

Well, she's Nami in One Piece, which has been ongoing for a long time and will be ongoing for a while longer, so that's something.

Also, Chris Sabat has to pay the bills somehow. If he's chosen for the role, he's going to give it all he's got.

Raebo101 wrote:
"This All Might Smile has been passed down the All Might family line FOR GENERATIONS!"

Ah! So THAT'S that hidden aspect of One for All that All Might has been withholding from us.

angelmcazares wrote:
And I imagine MHA is going to air on Toonami soon.

I would be surprised if it didn't. It fits onto Toonami perfectly. The one problem is where to fit it on the schedule, considering there are four long runners on there right now (One Piece, Naruto Shippuden, DBZ Kai, and Hunter X Hunter) and My Hero Academia will probably become one too.

Diamondstarz8 wrote:
At first I read "Justin Briner' as Justin Bieber and I was like WTF?! WHY AND HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!

Well, looking forward to how this broadcast dub will go.

Hey, you never know! Remember when Leonardo diCaprio was ridiculed because he was every teenage girl's heartthrob and he got a huge ego from it? What would those guys have thought during his Titanic days if they found out he got an Oscar for Best Actor for the 2015 season?

Then again, Bieber's let his fame get to his head way more than Leo ever did.

Animeking1108 wrote:
J. Michael Tatum is always the guy in glasses.

Huh, never even realized he was typecast like that. That means his role as Eneru in One Piece was cast against type then.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I would be surprised if it didn't. It fits onto Toonami perfectly. The one problem is where to fit it on the schedule, considering there are four long runners on there right now (One Piece, Naruto Shippuden, DBZ Kai, and Hunter X Hunter) and My Hero Academia will probably become one too.

Well, "Dimension W" only has a few episodes left and "Samurai Champloo" is halfway through its run.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
But that'd leave room for only one short runner. (Then again, there was a time when Toonami was running only two series plus Bleach.)
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
MHA is only getting 13 episodes.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
There might be follow-up seasons though. There is more anime now with season structures rather than a continuous running structure. There is no way that they're telling anywhere close to where the manga is at with just 13 episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3