• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do American Companies Bother To Release Filler Episodes?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
This is literally a first world problem. I mean, just don't watch until you hear news that the anime's back on track.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Jason DeMarco of Toonami once said he didn't believe in fillers, and that he would show all the filler in Shippuden and One Piece.

Coincidentally, the ratings for those shows dropped like stones.
Dayblack

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
TV TOKYO and Pierrot know fillers. One pays the other to do more chapters. But now with D. gray man, Naruto has 7 chapters of life.

TV Tokyo has new toy
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Interesting counter-example: the Sentai home video release of Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse completely omits the recap episode, while Crunchyroll's simulcast stream includes it. It's completely terrible and easily skipped for the sake of the story (which is a train wreck by this point already, sorry), but it does have a few pieces of information for the final episodes that hadn't actually been set up by the series prior to this point.
Link2119

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoy filler episodes
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
There are also a few other reasons to include the filler episodes that I can think of. Some shows will have episodes that are largely filler, but include little bits of the "canon" story, so they would have to be careful about not chopping off things the audience considers important. Also, many people enjoy filler episodes for various reasons, so I don't think it would be fair to essentially tell those people that the content they wanted to see isn't worthwhile. It's a lot simpler for people that don't like filler to skip those episodes. There would also be the issue of discerning what is considered filler. Sometimes it is obvious, but what about instances where a character's backstory is used as filler? In that case, you're getting information that is relevant to the canon, but it might not be content found in the source material.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Fri May 06, 2016 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Something tells me that if West publishers somehow were able to do releases without filler episodes many fans would be mad. They wouldn't want to consume "incomplete" releases.

I dislike fillers, and they are the main reason why I am not a fan of long-running series, but omitting them from releases had never crossed my mind. But I might actually dig no filler releases.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I remember even as a kid I could tell something was weird about the dragon ball episode where Gohan was "training" in the forest or Goku was running on the path in the afterlife. I didn't even know the show was an adaptation but it was pretty clear the quality was way down. So it really killed my interest in the series because it just felt like the show quality was tanking and there's no way to really know if it'll go back up if you don't know what filler are.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Some shows will have episodes that are largely filler, but include little bits of the "canon" story, so they would have to be careful about not chopping off things the audience considers important.

Revolutionary Girl Utena being an extreme example of this, tacking some of its more important developments onto the end of what are otherwise recap episodes.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
It would be hard trying to air a long-running show while trying to cut out "filler" episodes, since some of them contain bits of background content that's relevant to characters or an ongoing plot. Plus, in some instances, filler episodes help develop a character's background story (Sailor Moon being an obvious case).
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Mr. Oshawott"] contain bits of background content that's relevant to characters or an ongoing plot. quote]

Naruto has them!! In fact, it has dozens of filler eps that repeat the same thing countless times so you won't miss on anything ;D
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Japan: "If our country has to suffer through fillers, then so shall everyone else!"
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I strongly dislike fillers, but I can't help but want to watch all of a thing if I really like a character or two. Which meant I was slowly going mad until I finally dropped Bleach and Naruto entirely xD

Which makes me really, really appreciate shows that just stop and wait for more manga material, like Natsume's Book of Friends or Blue Exorcist.

But yeah, it kind of is a silly problem. A smarter me would just look up which eps to skip.
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
How does this explain 4Kids Dub of One Piece? They not only cut all the filler arcs, but they also cut out actual manga arcs like Reverse Mountain and Little Garden.

What you said clearly doesn't apply to 4Kids as they had total control and were doing whatever they wanted with the show.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
How does this explain 4Kids Dub of One Piece? They not only cut all the filler arcs, but they also cut out actual manga arcs like Reverse Mountain and Little Garden.

What you said clearly doesn't apply to 4Kids as they had total control and were doing whatever they wanted with the show.

That was more of an extreme case though. 4Kids skipped a lot of stuff due to the show being so difficult to edit as it is, and that was probably the only reason they were able to get away with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5