• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hyouka Anime's Original Novel Series Adds New Volume

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MugenPancake

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
FINALLY!!!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
Oh, it's just a compilation of the short stories? Well, that certainly lowers my joy. I should have expected it, but I was legitimately excited after reading the headline.
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
I would really like another cour. It would be great if this were streaming and/or licensed for home video release.
wastrel

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
No, sorry. No surge of hope from me. I won't desperately hope this means they'll make another anime season. I won't feverishly think up ways the existing season will finally be licensed.

Nope. No hope left.
Silver4000

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
Well, the last short story that came out was pretty good. Even better than the disappointing 5th volume.

Looking forward for the others.
Sploradorali

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Oh, it's just a compilation of the short stories? Well, that certainly lowers my joy. I should have expected it, but I was legitimately excited after reading the headline.

To be fair, most of the last episodes of Hyouka were from another short story collection the author wrote. Ironically, the couple of short stories that were centered around Oreki and Chitanda probably involved the most development in the series.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:13 am Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
I would really like another cour. It would be great if this were streaming and/or licensed for home video release.

The anime covered the first 4 volumes, plus a few side stories. There really isn't enough material for another season. Unless they made up something on their own. (which KyoAni doesn't have a great track record of so far) Maybe a movie though. I still really hope there is some sort of further anime adaptation, but that seems less and less likely now.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote
Silver4000 wrote:
Well, the last short story that came out was pretty good. Even better than the disappointing 5th volume.

I'd say it was better than a few volumes, even.
Now maybe people will actually translate those old short stories. Hope never dies.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
Dang the Hyouka headlines playing with my emotions...
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Haven't heard from Hyouka in a while. Kind of a low-key mystery anime, if you ask me, but I guess not every one of them can be Detective Conan or Kindaichi Case Files.

But regarding this news, I guess you could say...

I'm curious. Anime hyper
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:

The anime covered the first 4 volumes, plus a few side stories. There really isn't enough material for another season. Unless they made up something on their own. (which KyoAni doesn't have a great track record of so far) Maybe a movie though. I still really hope there is some sort of further anime adaptation, but that seems less and less likely now.

It will be crap if they decided to make totally original material, just look at Chuunibyou season 2.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
It will be crap if they decided to make totally original material, just look at Chuunibyou season 2.

The first season was already two thirds original, just like the second. I agree that the second season sucked, but it was hardly because it went original.
Dylan21

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I would really like a film to finish off Hyouka. There's not enough for another season but for a film there should be with some original content as well to make the ending satisfying (romance wise).
wanderingwilbur

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
A North American release would be a nice start
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Dylan21 wrote:
I would really like a film to finish off Hyouka. There's not enough for another season but for a film there should be with some original content as well to make the ending satisfying (romance wise).

It had a perfect ending...and then spoiler[they had to go and reset it in the last few seconds of the series. Like Billy Joel said, "Leave a tender moment alone!"]

The author has said that he wants to keep writing it and end the series when the characters graduate. However, he's become a very successful mainstream mystery author in recent years, so it may be difficult for him to find time now to go back to this series.

I'd love to see more too, though.

I wonder if we'll get an anime-style cover for the book coming out this fall. I'd love for there to be one, since the others have all had them, but I'm not holding my breath, since it's been so long since the show ended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2