• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
The black smoke reminded me of the giant boss that follows you in Nier or a few of the big creatures in Lost Planet 2. This series is so good I wish we could get one a season and not shows that scare the majority away.

Comparing Kabaneri to AOT is really reaching. There is an amalgamation of many anime series within Kabaneri not just what ever you have been privy to. lol.

This show has videogame plot and tactics all day. I enjoy when they are working together in a situational episodic crisis rather than the same old formulaic "Episode 7 is a beach episode" again. You have 39 of those shows each season, let us have something else.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Comparing Kabaneri to AOT is really reaching. There is an amalgamation of many anime series within Kabaneri not just what ever you have been privy to. lol.

The nature of the beast however is that Kabaneri is no doubt part of the "War hero in Apocalypse World" genre, this includes Sidonia, AOT, Muv Luv, and a number of other works.
The key protagonist through actions becomes some sort of rallying beacon either through deeds or inheriting some sort of McGuffin.
Humanity is painted as the underdog so the theme of triumph in the face of adversity will always end up playing out short of a completely downer ending.

What makes the media work is humanizing what amounts to characters performing Herculean tasks.

While the characters might be "different enough" there is little doubt Kabaneri is a story we have seen in a slightly different form, but just as well execution of the story is what makes it worthwhile.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the preview/trailer for the show and im dying to see it. Does anyone know where to legally watch this anime? I know funimation doesnt have the rights to this, and its not on cruncyrolls streaming site either. Pretty sure aniplex doesnt either so who has it and where can It be watched legally?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
Does anyone know where to legally watch this anime?

Amazon Prime in the US, in other territories? *shrug*
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Kb24lol wrote:
Does anyone know where to legally watch this anime?

Amazon Prime in the US, in other territories? *shrug*

Thanks ya well that sucks -_- Il just wait for funimation or sentai to battle it out for dubbing so i can watch it thru the streaming site(funimation preferably) or on toonami. Amazon prime shouldnt have these types of anime lmao.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Amazon's HQ is in Seattle, so if a dub is to happen, It will probably be Bang Zoom, Studiopolis or some other CA based studio
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Ooh relaxing episode. A breather like this around the middle of the season seems suitable. I got some laughs out of it too with the dialogues especially at Mumei and Ikoma's conversation. At the same time, I'm glad to learn more about Mumei (including her original name).

Mumei's brother Biba is a mysterious individual...I bet his fighting skills are among the elites of those Hunters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Ikoma's in full blown surrogate big brother mode. Only a matter of time before that blows up in his face...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
One would guess that the big brother character also made her into a Kabaneri as well as giving her a new name. So far I think rather than just beat the enemy, they also want to be in control.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Imo, Biba's somewhat of an interesting character and definitely seems like a natural leader.

Pretty good action this episode and kinda interesting to see the combat skills of the soldiers. Mumei fighting along side some of the new hunters is also interesting and one of them even have Kabaneri powers.

The revelation about Mumei becoming a Kabaneri through artificial means isn't something I find too surprised by.

Feels like the military may be hiding more than they know about the true nature of the Kabaneri. Biba's also quite cold as a character. Mumei and Ikoma's relationship also not doing too well this episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8
For me, Biba is effectively Whesker from Resident evil until shown otherwise.

Biba is definitely a "might makes right" kind of guy that thinks all his actions are justified "because he is strong", his moral compass no doubt will put off Ikoma who has shown to be more of a "those with power should protect the weak" kind of philosophy which has its own weakness in this hellscape of a world.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Holy hell that was good! That was seriously the best episode of anything this season. Whenever I think this will collapse, it execeeds my expectations.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Sigh, I have no idea exactly what Biba even means by liberation anymore. Whatever his real intentions are, it just resulted in the slaughter of tons of people including Horobi. (I was actually curious to learn more about her)

Poor Mumei as well, she was deceived from the start.

Also, I'm starting to like Ayame and Yukina's relationship a lot more in this show now; more than initially expected. Good action overall. I hope the others beat that Biba guy to some sense soon and hopefully justice will be served.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
Ep 9
I have little doubt Biba is going to double down on self justifying his atrocities, I don't think Biba technically lied to Mumei so much as she never saw him as completely nuts as his actions have shown.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
The good news is that we don't have to worry about whether he is a good guy or not, he is an evil piece of work. To him he is justifying all the destruction because he sees the shogun and other nobles as some evil cage holding humans in, but can't see or is unwilling to see that supposed "freedom" is now worth it.

He is not better than any other type of evil. He traded one oppression with another.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5