• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: USA Today Booklist, September 17-23: Naruto Hangs On

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
V.19-21 will be the true test as to whether they hang on to these good numbers. Since this accelerated release schedule is going to last four months, I believe it will all hinge on parents willingness to buy three new books every month. They might have been duped the first time, but will they catch on. Razz

I am not saying that everyone who reads Naruto has to have there parents buy it for them, but take them out of the picture and I doubt the numbers would make the list as well as they do.

Interesting though, I wonder how much of the buy buy buy mentaility factors into this strategy as well. For instance, if I had not read a certain thread today, I would have totally forgoten that xxxHOLiC was just released, a manga which I enjoy very much. I forgot, simple as that, I hate myself for it, but I nonetheless forgot. Now if it was released every ten days, there is no way something like that would slip my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
V.19-21 will be the true test as to whether they hang on to these good numbers. Since this accelerated release schedule is going to last four months, I believe it will all hinge on parents willingness to buy three new books every month. They might have been duped the first time, but will they catch on. :P

To me, the fact that it's been v. 18 that has sold the best of the three shows a lot: parents may buy their kids the first two, but then, the kids in question go and grab the last volume.

If these three volumes can hang on for one more week, and then Viz unleashes the next batch, that really would be a major coup. I really can't remember any time that more than three or four individual manga volumes appeared on the list, so if both the first batch and the second are being sold like hotcakes simultaneously, well, guess that's the final proof that Viz's gamble worked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1