• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
According to Wikipedia, the Anime Unleashed block aired from December 30, 2002 to March 16, 2006.

According to this ANN article, it appears that Betterman, Crest of the Stars, Dual!, Lain, and Silent Mobius, as well as Ghost in the Shell, Armitage III, Macross Plus, and Patlabor were the starting lineup, so they likely began airing, if not December 30, early in 2003.

According to this ANN article, SoulTaker was added and began airing June 24, 2003, Gatekeepers 21 July 16, 2003, and Boogiepop Phantom July 28, 2003.

According to this ANN article, Banner of the Stars started on November 4, 2003, with Geneshaft scheduled after that (no date listed).

According to this ANN article, Geneshaft began the Saturday after November 18, 2003 (according to my calendar, that would have been November 22, 2003).

As of this ANN article, published May 7, 2004, the current lineup contained Silent Mobius, Geneshaft, Lain, and Betterman.

So, as near as I can narrow down just using Wikipedia and ANN itself, these are the first dates for those shows:

Banner of the Stars: 11/4/03-1/27/04*; rerun airings unknown
Betterman: 12/30/02-6/23/03*; reruns airing at least as of 5/7/04
Boogiepop Phantom: 7/28/03-10/13/03*; reruns unknown
Crest of the Stars: 12/30/02-3/24/03*; reruns unknown
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure: 12/30/02-3/24/03*; reruns unknown
Gatekeepers 21: 7/16/03-8/20/03*; reruns unknown
Geneshaft: 11/22/03-2/14/04*; reruns airing at least as of 5/7/04
Serial Experiments Lain: 12/30/02-3/24/03*; reruns airing at least as of 5/7/04
Silent Möbius: 12/30/02-3/17/03*; reruns airing at least as of 5/7/04
SoulTaker: 6/24/03-0/16/03; reruns unknown

(*the first-run end dates are approximated, assuming 1 episode per week with no skipped weeks)

As a bonus, according to the Encyclopedia entry, Lain also aired from July 21, 2007 to October 13, 2007 on G4TechTV Canada.

Last edited by Dessa on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, thanks. Rough dates work fine for one of my objectives, so that's helpful. The other thing though would need more concrete dates.
WetRicky

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
Okay, I have been trying to find this anime for a long time now but I can't because shocker I don't know the name... I can however say whats in it I hope somebody knows what i'm thinking of but IKD, they might not. it was on adult swim (like many years ago) but I don't think that will help.

It's an anime where everything on the plant is dead like people, plants, and animals. The only thing left are robots and they are not humanoid robots. They have legs and arms but they do not resemble humans in any other way. I also think they were fighting, but i'm not sure about that.
The only thing I remember, from the first episode is that it had a lot of internal monologue and the color Orange was use a lot.
I'm also pretty sure the main character had legs that were backwards too kinda like a horse.

also its not Casshern Sins I looked it up and its not that.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
^

moving this to identifying anime thread
pibburns

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
WetRicky wrote:

It's an anime where everything on the plant is dead like people, plants, and animals. The only thing left are robots and they are not humanoid robots. They have legs and arms but they do not resemble humans in any other way. I also think they were fighting, but i'm not sure about that.
The only thing I remember, from the first episode is that it had a lot of internal monologue and the color Orange was use a lot.
I'm also pretty sure the main character had legs that were backwards too kinda like a horse.

also its not Casshern Sins I looked it up and its not that.

Sounds like an interesting melange of Birth (AKA Planet Busters), one of the Casshan/Casshern OVAs/series, and one of Matsumoto's versions of the transformation of the population of La Maetel to a machine society.

I hope someone here can identify the work. I'd be interested in watching it.
dmartins

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
What is the name of an anime series about a black-haired boy in white clothing have a necklace of a bottle with blood and whose DNA create a male clone? He also have a younger sister and he have powers. He left an organization and they sent people after him. Does anyone know this?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me about this character Miànjù zi
面具子

it's the girl in the black and green dress with a box on her heard
frequently in MMD videos
I know it originates as a chinese character mascot but does anyone know where she is from?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote
Regarding the anime of Mitsuru Adachi's "H2."

Just watched the first six episodes (1st R2 DVD), and while Adachi's "Touch" and "Cross Game" are both favorites of mine, I felt this show had serious pacing issues. The first scrimmage game was dragged out for four episodes--which I could see them doing if it were the prefectural championship or something--but for all that happened here, one or two episodes should have been plenty.

Does the show pick up its pace later on, or does it stay this languid all the way through?

Also, I've heard that it doesn't adapt all its source material, so how well does its ending work?

Thanks in advance to some fellow Adachi fan.
Teankun

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
one of my favorite AMVs is Obsession Video's "The History of Anime" I’m trying to identify the anime, but even with the list at animemusicvideos.org I am still having trouble identifying a few clips. Can anyone help me identify these anime?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
#6 is Guts from Berserk, probably him as well in #5
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
The first three are from X, 5, 6 and 8 are from Berserk (I can't for the life of me make out wth is #7). The rest I've no idea
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Regarding the anime of Mitsuru Adachi's "H2."
...I felt this show had serious pacing issues.
Also, I've heard that it doesn't adapt all its source material, so how well does its ending work?

Regarding those matters, I have heard these things:

The anime version of H2 only covers 7 volumes and some chapters of Volume 8 of the manga version.
(The manga version has 34 volumes in the shinsho-ban edition.)

The broadcast/production of the anime version ended with 打ち切り (breaking off).

Dessa

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
As CrowLia said, 1-3 are from X (specifically, 1 is Kotori, 2-3 are Subaru).

4 is Van Fanel from Escaflowne, and 13-14 are Hitomi from the same.

I'll go with CrowLia and getchman's assessment of 5-6 being Guts from Berserk, and 8 being from Berserk as well.

7 actually appears to be a live-action screenshot, and I have no clue if it's a show, a cm, a music video, or what.

I can't place 9, but I'm sure I've seen it before. It's likely from a period piece, possibly Kenshin, given the art style.

Not sure on 10-12, 14.

I swear I've seen 15 before, but I'm drawing a blank. Art style reminds me somewhat of Ghost in the Shell (when Motoko is diving in the first movie), but I don't think that's it.

16 is from Sorcerer Hunters. Not sure the episode, but it's a 1-off villain.

17 is another that I wanna say I've seen before, but can't place.

18-19 are more I'm unsure of.

20 looks kinda like Van from Escaflowne again, but I don't think it's him. The eyes also remind me of Heero from Gundam Wing, but, again, I don't think that's right.

21 is another I feel I should know, but don't. I know it's a show I haven't watched, but I've seen pics of the manga.

22-23 I'm also stumped on.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
#16 is Ghost in the Shell; specifically, where Major Motoko Kusanagi is approaching the surface of the water.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Teankun wrote:
one of my favorite AMVs is Obsession Video's "The History of Anime" I’m trying to identify the anime, but even with the list at animemusicvideos.org I am still having trouble identifying a few clips. Can anyone help me identify these anime?

The picture No.19 is from Giant Robo OVA.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 523 of 569