• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[RESOLVED] W.T. Hatch is not a voice actor; please remove from your site.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolgurl

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
ALERT:

W.T. Hatch is not an actual voice actor, please remove the information from your site. I have recently been made aware of an upsetting situation in the world of anime cons, and I felt it necessary to bring this to your attention. It's in regards to a person who was once a friend of mine: Estevan Olivas. He has assumed the identity of WT "Will" Hatch, and has even begun attending cons as a guest under that name. I am sure there was once a person known as WT Hatch (though that may have been an assumed name), but WT is not the person who is currently using this name. On IMDb, Estevan has actually entered his own birthdate for WT Hatch. This is pretty funny because it makes it look like he did most of his roles as a child or before he was born.

You might not be aware of this, but I was once very close friends with Estevan from 1997-2002. That was when I came to the shocking realization that he is a pathological liar. He would tell people that he had worked on various anime but tailor to whomever he was speaking. In other words, if he was talking to someone from LA, he'd claim to have worked at Coastal Carolina, but if it was someone from NY, he'd say he'd worked in LA. The truth is that he has never worked in the anime industry at all.

Sadly, I have learned that he is using his supposed "position" to prey on girls and young women. Please spread the word as much as you can to let people know not to invite him as a guest or exhibitor. In fact, it would be best if he did not attend any conventions at all, but I don't know if that is possible.

http://forums.animecons.com/showtopic.php?tid/2488/
http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/15258478926/creepy-con-goer-alert
http://animecons.ca/guests/bio.shtml/3247/William_W_T_Hatch
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-15258.html
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
The credits in the Encyclopedia belong to multiple submissions by different people and are taken both from websites and DVD credits themselves that range from 2002-2015. I'm suspicious that above claim is at all true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
Looking at the referenced IMDB profile, while coolgurl's claims about the person currently using the alias may be correct, that does not change the fact that a person with/using that name has worked as a voice actor on titles.

One person using a false name =/= all credits for that name are incorrect
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
person#9313

My initial response is the same as Dessa's: the presence of an impersonator does not negate the work done by the person being impersonated.
If there is an impersonator and any of the information in the encyclopedia related to the impersonator, then that information should be removed - however there is no personal information in the encyclopedia anyway so there is nothing to remove.
Even assuming that W T Hatch never existed, I'm not sure being able to point to an ANN page and say "that's me, I worked on some bit parts a decade ago" is to anyone's benefit (frankly if I were doing that, I would add my own picture).

I will need to look further into our data and you links, but I don't see there being anything here at ANN can do (unlike when it is ANN staff being impersonated); you need to report this to the appropriate authorities and convention staff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

PatrickD ("AnimeCons.com Executive Producer") posts a warning in December 2011 from a "very reliable source", also says he's known Estevan for years. There are two replies (Greggo and Paopu-Blossom), also claiming to know Estevan.

I am unclear on whether coolgurl is the same anonymous source or is merely copying from that post since, other than the first and last sentences, it is identical.

Quote:

A repost of the above.

Quote:

A guest profile page:
Quote:
Director / Voice Actor
Southwest Phoenix Recording Studios
Albuquerque, NM USA

with a warning about impersonation.
There's a twitter account which is protected.
There's a Myspace page with the same profile pictures and not much else.
Southwest Phoenix Recording Studios only seems to exist as a blank facebook page.

Quote:

A similar forum report by "xRighteous", who has since been banned.
This time there is a linkedin profile for Estevan (where there is no mention of anything even vaguely related to anime or voice acting) and a claim that he is not actually credited for either Fushigi Yugi or Duel and is a fandubber.

Three different people have submitted the Fushigi Yugi credits, although one is relying on "voice ID" to identify the role (which was apparently not specified in the credits; not unusual for the era). Although a number of the credits were dumped in from other sites in the early days of the encyclopedia, one was entered by an editor and I can't see anything particularly suspicious about any of the others. I can double check Akira and Cowboy Bebop.

IMDb listing W.T. Hatch as an alias of Estevan Olivas might be an issue, but it is not our issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I have access to Fushigi Yuugi and 08th MS Team, I can scan those credits to see if anything's listed.
coolgurl

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
The credits in the Encyclopedia belong to multiple submissions by different people and are taken both from websites and DVD credits themselves that range from 2002-2015. I'm suspicious that above claim is at all true.

Estevan gave his actual birthdate on his IMDB profile, which makes it appear as if he has done some of the work before he was born or as a small child. I am an anonymous source, and I can guarantee he has never worked on Akira or Panda go Panda as a voice actor.

There were a lot of people that Estevan aka WT Hatch tried to dupe into believing he is a voice actor. You can do with this information what you will, but I am just passing the word along. I personally knew Estevan from 2010 to 2013. He said he worked with agencies that I have now found out never heard of him. And like I said, upon further inspection of his IMDB profile, I realized that he did not work on some of those titles because he was either a small child or haven't been born at the time of the title's release. Estevan included his actual birthdate on his IMDB profile. He does not have a recording studio and never has. It was justa front to meet young impressionable girls. I have personally watched him do that. Once I realized what he was doing I made it a point to avoid him. Estevan has been assuming false identities for years.

If you do not believe me, then please do your research. I have personally watched several of these anime including Fushigi Yuugi and Akira and WT Hatch does not show up anywhere in the credits. And like I said, it is impossible he voiced Akira given that at the time he was 9 years of age.

Animecons.com have Estevan aka WT Hatch listed as a voice actor, but just added a disclaimer such as: Warning: There is a man known as Estevan Olivas who is going by the alias "WT Hatch" and claiming to be a legitimate voice actor under this name and fabricating false credits to his name. This is not the first time that Estevan has falsified his credits. Use extreme caution before inviting anyone by that name to your convention!

[Edit]: combined consecutive posts. Errinundra.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
coolgurl wrote:
If you do not believe me, then please do your research. I have personally watched several of these anime including Fushigi Yuugi and Akira and WT Hatch does not show up anywhere in the credits.

You are seriously loosing credibility here:

Source: release#24302
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
coolgurl wrote:

If you do not believe me, then please do your research. I have personally watched several of these anime including Fushigi Yuugi and Akira and WT Hatch does not show up anywhere in the credits. And like I said, it is impossible he voiced Akira given that at the time he was 9 years of age.

No, it's impossible for the guy you know who you say is claiming to be Hatch to voice the role. The real Hatch is apparently older than him and exists. Whether Estevan falsified information on IMDb or not is also immaterial because IMBd isn't the source of our information, it's actual credits like the one posted above.

As I said before, the credits are also submitted by multiple people not just one guy adding sourceless information, like you implied.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
coolgurl

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
coolgurl wrote:

No, it's impossible for the guy you know who you say is claiming to be Hatch to voice the role. The real Hatch is apparently older than him and exists. Whether Estevan falsified information on IMDb or not is also immaterial because IMBd isn't the source of our information, it's actual credits like the one posted above.

As I said before, the credits are also submitted by multiple people not just one guy adding sourceless information, like you implied.

Ah, I see. WT Hatch was/is (do not know if this person is still alive) an actual actor, just Estevan assumed that identity years ago. I stand corrected. It is just unfortunate someone's good name and actual work has been used in a way like this. I wanted it to be made known that there is an impersonator out there. You can close this thread for I do not plan to comment on it since this issue has been thoroughly addressed. Thanks for the follow up.
UseY0ur1llusi0n

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
coolgurl wrote:
(do not know if this person is still alive)

W.T. Hatch is an alias used by the late stage actor Dana Craig, who recently passed away in the Spring of 2014.

Here's a compilation of his (non-union) voice work he did for Animaze: https://youtu.be/1wRTDPzGrE0

And here's his sole union dub role for Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran: https://youtu.be/VJbLQs5GcWk

Estevan Olivas is an outsider unrelated.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
I've merged W.T. Hatch as an alias of Dana Craig. The photo and the date of death should give enough clue to people who are contacted by this Estevan Olivas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
UseY0ur1llusi0n

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I've merged W.T. Hatch as an alias of Dana Craig. The photo and the date of death should give enough clue to people who are contacted by this Estevan Olivas.

Ah, thanks a million. Thread should probably be deleted now as the title is incredibly misleading.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1