• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Fullmetal Alchemist Director Reveals More Details About Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm skeptical that this guy can really pull of any kind of fulfilling FMA adaptation, faithful or not, within a single movie. But I want to wait and see.

It's interesting that they'll be filming in Italy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, it's a shame Owner is a villain... on the other... I can totally see him playing the part! I wonder if he's been competing in Sasuke lately?
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Doing it all in one movie's going to be almost impossible, although at least the director seems passionate about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aodmisery

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
does it even matter what his age would be in the movie?
sinfonia

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
All in one movie?? This puts many doubts into my mind, but at least I can say that I am glad that the director seems to have a strong love for the story. I just don't see how it's going to fit into one movie...they'll be skipping out on a LOT. ( I'm not saying they needed to add in every little plot detail cause there's obviously some that could probably be skipped over without ruining the story. ) But still.

All I ask is that the tone of the movie stays true to the manga, and they don't end it with a depressing ending like the first FMA anime...
KH91

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
One complete film now. A remake called Brotherhood 6 years later being told in 2-3 movies.
+ 光

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
I can't see this as a faithful adaption at all. Since the material they wil be cutting out amounts to 50+ episodes. So I can only assume that it wil be a complete rewrite of the original's plot, with only the same ending and conclusion:
1) Start with the flashback
2) The war - simultaneous battles with the Sins
(The flaahback of Ed and Elric's training would also be nice.
3) The final battle

I think Rocky Mountain en the Fort will be glanced over, or they could actually feature prominantly. Since we don't know what they're going to keep en what they're going to throw out, anything is possible.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
Will it be worse than Dragon Ball Evolution? it's loking that way!
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote
27 manga volumes or 64 anime episodes (Brotherhood) in one single 2 hour movie, haha okay-dokay! Arrow
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
If he has so much faith in his techniques that will supposedly rival hollywood's, he should bet it all on the first movie, and if it receives critical acclaim, finish the story in a few more movies. If Japan really wants to compete on the world stage they're gonna have to master this franchise stuff like Marvel and DC.
anddo

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:38 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
One complete film now. A remake called Brotherhood 6 years later being told in 2-3 movies.

I know you're joking, but Brotherhood was only called so in the west. In Japan it was still called Fullmetal Alchemist so there'd be no way that a sequel film would be called Brotherhood over there.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
I know you're joking, but Brotherhood was only called so in the west. In Japan it was still called Fullmetal Alchemist so there'd be no way that a sequel film would be called Brotherhood over there.

Technically, 2003 was Hagane no Renkinjutsushi and 2009 was Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: Fullmetal Alchemist, so the title wasn't exactly the same. But your point still stands.

Really not sure what to expect of this film, but as long as it's entertaining?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:45 am Reply with quote
Rurouni Kenshin is a 3 part adaptation dear ANN.

I have zero interest in this (27 Vol. = 1 film?) and won´ t follow the production but will immediately change my mind if the trailer delivers. Eh, we will see and FMA´s future in Hollywood´s development hell is all but guaranteed if Alita ultimately succeeds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:10 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

1. What makes you think I didn't know that prior to the comment?

2. You don't know that it'd never happen unless you can see the future. lol

3. A joke. You messed up.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:30 am Reply with quote
I am already praying that this director won't rant after his film gets tons of criticism like the director of Titan. I am also not betting too much on a live adaptation given it will be another faithful-original hybrid story that will be cramped into 90 minutes or so...

Good luck and may the gods of filmmakers guide you, Sori-san.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3